MikeRob on Kam, Clayton on w/DD&M, Wyman&Salk Wed AM

Decimation

Reaction score
Rob12":3qigi496 said:
Kam is getting into Percy Harvin territory with me. This is the first holdout of this magnitude of it its kind under this CBA (implemented in 2011).

I bet the locker room is fed up with his charade.

Let him holdout until 2018. Then he can go look for that big contract when he's 30.

I've lost so much respect for Kam.
Me too. The whole situation is just frustrating and bizarre because you wouldn't think this would happen with a guy like him.

I loved Kam as a Seahawk, and even bought his jersey after we extended him. He came off to me as a humble young man who wanted to prove everyone wrong. My opinion on him now has drastically changed.

We just can't give him any more money with three years left on his contract. It would destroy what we have going on. I HOPE Bailey makes it easy to replace him and plays at a high level because I don't see Kam coming back at this point.

Rob12

Reaction score
StoneCold":2ry1utcw said:
Interesting comments on Kam. This has to be about the Principle. He knows he will likely make less money in his career by holding out and he's OK with that. He has plenty of money. He wants respect.

Respect is a TWO WAY STREET.

Kam is giving none.

He's crapping all over his teammates, the organization, and the fans.

I don't know why people act this way - like a child - and demand 'respect'

Life doesn't work that way.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I think McGruff is right on when he asserted the catalyst was the Cary Williams signing.

It could very well be that he is upset after watching the team pony up to pay an outsider what someone that put it all on the line for the team for years, is not getting. Whether that is a market issue or not is immaterial, people are emotional beings - not rational ones.

I wonder if we don't make that choice if he is as adamant about his stance. No coming back from that now, but it would explain the rigidity of the stance he has taken all this time.

Rob12

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1o7w8j07 said:
The more I think about this, the more I think McGruff is right on when he asserted the catalyst was the Cary Williams signing.

It could very well be that he is upset after watching the team pony up to pay an outsider what someone that put it all on the line for the team for years, is not getting. Whether that is a market issue or not is immaterial, people are emotional beings - not rational ones.

I wonder if we don't make that choice if he is as adamant about his stance. No coming back from that now, but it would explain the rigidity of the stance he has taken all this time.

That's an apples and oranges thing.

The market for corners is simply different.

It very well could be that that is what set him off. And if so, it just reaffirms his selfishness.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The market is not what determines value. The market is means of measuring the PERCEPTION of value.

People have derailed perceptions of value all the time. There are well know cases of people paying thousands of dollars for tulip bulbs or beanie babies because of a "market". But the market is not a static thing.

Kam brings real value to a team. And he has delivered, beyond what the market says an average corner is worth. Additionally Kam's role requires him to do things that put him in more physical jeopardy than a corner, with likely side effects from that play that will follow him for the rest of his life.

How can you not expect him to feel that is unfair? (Granting that the world is unfair anyway)

I don't think it is selfish at all. It is an emotional reaction, just like your own being upset at him being "selfish" or "greedy" is.

The market for corners is different. So what is the market for HOF safeties that tilt the field in the playoffs? Better than crappy corners that get torched by Dallas all day?

StoneCold

Reaction score
Exittium":2igvhrsb said:
StoneCold":2igvhrsb said:
HoustonHawk82":2igvhrsb said:
:thcoffee:

I presume you've brought coffee for everyone. :)

I know this is a beaten horse. Was hoping to look at a different perspective than Bam Bam bad.
What other perspective is there? Because he is bad. He's breaking PC three rules. Not being a teammate, all while burning bridges with his fanbase, and blocking anyone who even just says whats the deal.. Dudes gone mental with this holdout. I dont want him here. But I'd rather him sit on the bench for the remainder of his contract. Especially if happens next yr.

Some of you people need to take off the rose tinted glasses. Kam doesn't care about his fanbase or team, or "his brothers Earl and Sherm" Bennet complains all the time, but guess what? He showed up and put in the work still. Not Kam. Guess what, Russell was going to still show up and work if his contract didn't happen. Same with Wagner. But still no Kam.

The dude wants money. Money we don't have. And I suspect the same thing happening next year, because we'll need that money to sign other players to keep. Not on someone who will still have a few yrs on his current contract. So I hope he really enjoys sitting on his ass.

The different perspective is that he may have good reasons for doing what he's doing. His team mates may even support him while not being happy he's not going to play. They understand the dangers of the game along with the inequities of the way contracts are structured.

I'm not sure who is acting more like a child. "Who took my Kam Chancellor?! WAH!!!"

Kam has kept quiet and worked to support his team mates as best he can by watching film and helping the people who will replace him. That's pretty selfless.

Like I said I think it's more complex and that fan's don't really understand what it's like to step on the field and play the game.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
StoneCold":4uadriu1 said:
MizzouHawkGal":4uadriu1 said:
StoneCold":4uadriu1 said:
Interesting comments on Kam. This has to be about the Principle. He knows he will likely make less money in his career by holding out and he's OK with that. He has plenty of money. He wants respect.
Funny way of going about getting it to me. I guess respect is some kind of code word for money Whatever he can do as pleases but don't expect much "respect".

I don't think it's as simple as saying it's about greed or that if money shouldn't or doesn't equal respect. We are only talking about respect in football terms. I know he is burning bridges between himself and the fans, he knows it too.

We are asking him to brutalize his body, risk serious injury, possibly life changing injury.

It is easy for us to weigh and say, "He signed the contract, now Play!". It's easy for us to say he's doing this because he doesn't love his team mates and he doesn't appreciate his fans. He might, but just not enough to do it for what they are going to pay him. Something happened between signing that contract and today that makes him say, it's not enough. I hate it, but I will respect his right to make that choice and I'm not going paint him as a whiney, petulant child taking his ball and going home, I don't have enough information to do that. He may be maturely and soberly making this choice and fully knows all the consequences. I think it's all together more complex than many posters make it out to be.

People all over the world get hurt, crippled, maimed on the job. They don't get 7 million a year, they don't get the best medical care available all paid for, and they don't get all the glory and benefits that comes with being an NFL player. So spare me the "injury" sob story.

I've had 4 back surgeries with a spine full of rods, plates and screws, i fight to get treatment and have medical bills stacked a mile high. I battle chronic pain, day in and day out, but because I wasn't able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the injury happened while working for the local University (their legal team far outweighed my ability to do paperwork), I'm stuck with the bills, the pain, and the sometimes overwhelming fatigue. But I don't run around complaining about it all the time. I try to speak of it as little as possible until my frustration boils over, because there are people that are far worse off than I am.

Zero pity for football, or any other professional sports player. They get the glory, the money, the freebies, and they get treated like kings where ever they go.

If they're worried about how much money they are making, or if they might get injured, then they should follow in Chris Borland's shoes, and get a real job, like the rest of us schmucks that pay their bills for them.

StoneCold

Reaction score
ivotuk":3j54j72o said:
StoneCold":3j54j72o said:
MizzouHawkGal":3j54j72o said:
StoneCold":3j54j72o said:
Funny way of going about getting it to me. I guess respect is some kind of code word for money Whatever he can do as pleases but don't expect much "respect".

I don't think it's as simple as saying it's about greed or that if money shouldn't or doesn't equal respect. We are only talking about respect in football terms. I know he is burning bridges between himself and the fans, he knows it too.

We are asking him to brutalize his body, risk serious injury, possibly life changing injury.

It is easy for us to weigh and say, "He signed the contract, now Play!". It's easy for us to say he's doing this because he doesn't love his team mates and he doesn't appreciate his fans. He might, but just not enough to do it for what they are going to pay him. Something happened between signing that contract and today that makes him say, it's not enough. I hate it, but I will respect his right to make that choice and I'm not going paint him as a whiney, petulant child taking his ball and going home, I don't have enough information to do that. He may be maturely and soberly making this choice and fully knows all the consequences. I think it's all together more complex than many posters make it out to be.

People all over the world get hurt, crippled, maimed on the job. They don't get 7 million a year, they don't get the best medical care available all paid for, and they don't get all the glory and benefits that comes with being an NFL player. So spare me the "injury" sob story.

I've had 4 back surgeries with a spine full of rods, plates and screws, i fight to get treatment and have medical bills stacked a mile high. I battle chronic pain, day in and day out, but because I wasn't able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the injury happened while working for the local University (their legal team far outweighed my ability to do paperwork), I'm stuck with the bills, the pain, and the sometimes overwhelming fatigue. But I don't run around complaining about it all the time. I try to speak of it as little as possible until my frustration boils over, because there are people that are far worse off than I am.

Zero pity for football, or any other professional sports player. They get the glory, the money, the freebies, and they get treated like kings where ever they go.

If they're worried about how much money they are making, or if they might get injured, then they should follow in Chris Borland's shoes, and get a real job, like the rest of us schmucks that pay their bills for them.

I have nothing but sympathy and respect for your back pain and medical difficulties. I have back problems of my own that doctors have no idea why it's happening. So I too live in pain and discomfort every day.

I wasn't promoting that we should pity football players, but I can understand anyone saying the risk to do this work, for this money isn't enough.

SC

Latest posts