Mind boggling D scheme

seabowl

Reaction score
One play yesterday epitomized how bad the D scheme is. Early in the game the Bills had a 3rd and 2. They split receivers out and one of the slot receivers had their D counterpart literally 10 yards off the ball. Hike, quick slant, 4 yard gain first down. The receiver was basically uncovered. I bet Allen couldn't believe his eyes seeing nobody on his receiver.

Look I get not wanting to get beat deep but this scheme is ridiculous.

TreeRon

Reaction score
That seemed to be available all day.
On the other hand how many short slants, quick passes and etc. did we run?

samwize77

Reaction score
I was pissed after the 1rst quarter. Why do they play so freiken far off??….The Bills were even jamming DK at the line.

I told my brother they gotta jam them at the line when they blitz..throw recievers off the route(and timing) and give that extra second to the pass rushers.

Time after time it looked like it was a short yardage situation and our corners were 10 yards off their receivers…….frustrating!!!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I still think, if they can't run, take a LB out, have 5 db's much like the Bills had, use Adams as a freelance between LB and SS.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seabowl":zte7qcpu said:
One play yesterday epitomized how bad the D scheme is. Early in the game the Bills had a 3rd and 2. They split receivers out and one of the slot receivers had their D counterpart literally 10 yards off the ball. Hike, quick slant, 4 yard gain first down. The receiver was basically uncovered. I bet Allen couldn't believe his eyes seeing nobody on his receiver.

Look I get not wanting to get beat deep but this scheme is ridiculous.

It's called soft zone, and we should be used to seeing it because we played it all of last year, and save for the Niner game, most of this year.

This is a product of Pete and Norton not trusting their DB's against mobile QB's and good WR corps, as was the case Sunday. So they scheme and gameplan to not give up big plays, make the other team take time off the clock for long drives, and hope Russell can outscore the other team.

There you go, that's our weekly game plan, hope Russell plays perfectly so we can win games 40-37. That's how little faith Pete has in his defense.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I hate the complete unwillingness of Pete to recognize his DC is in over his head and drowning. 8 games in and on pace to be the worst defence in the 101 year history of the game. The worst ever and sadly it's not even close but if continued will set a record which may never be broken. Abject futility is what we are being served up by a defensive Head Coach who knows how to make a D work. friendship has it's limits and the collective team is being hurt by the incompetence of the DC. At what point does Pete say sorry Ken but we need to make a change b/c you have no answers?

The players are here, they just need to be employed better. Dunbar was the #2 CB in the league last year and while admittedly suffering injury looks awful. Flowers has regressed to simply not worth playing from a player who looked to have potential. Griffin who is also hurt was voted to the pro Bowl last year. Adams has been to the ProBowl every year he's been in the league but won't be in this scheme. Diggs played well last year and infused the D with confidence last year. Norton is making less from more with these players and it continues to spiral down. The only magic bullet would be best employed disposing of Norton. I honestly think the players alone could do a better job.

The D hasn't been able stop anyone in 8 games and regularly makes average to mediocre QBs look like All Pro candidates. They are the 32nd ranked D in the league and the fiasco in Buffalo exposed the whole defensive coaching staff as incompetent. Without significant a real change expect more of the same.

The O is forced to press and pull rabbits out of hats as no lead they create is ever safe, and if not for RW's late game heroics the 6-2 record would be more likely 2-6. A brilliant season by an excellent QB is about to be flushed by a crappy D. I'm a fan and love watching good defence but Norton is not serving it up and hasn't now for a lot longer than this season. We fans deserve more from Pete. This season truly has been horrific in the magnitude of the inability of the D to do much more than make opponents ridiculously successful passing against the sophomoric soft zone that is trotted out as a defence. :177692:

To be sure I'm frustrated watching the D give it up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3jxcfm01 said:
I hate the complete unwillingness of Pete to recognize his DC is in over his head and drowning. 8 games in and on pace to be the worst defence in the 101 year history of the game. The worst ever and sadly it's not even close but if continued will set a record which may never be broken. Abject futility is what we are being served up by a defensive Head Coach who knows how to make a D work. friendship has it's limits and the collective team is being hurt by the incompetence of the DC. At what point does Pete say sorry Ken but we need to make a change b/c you have no answers?.

What would you do as the new defensive coordinator?

The Buffalo game is a perfect example of seeing nothing work. Soft zone for most of the first half, get dinked and dunked to death. Start blitzing, can't get home enough and WR's and TE's running free for deep completions.

Bottom line with our defense this year? You can get away with a mediocre defensive backfield if you have a good pass rush, and you can get away with a mediocre pass rush if you have a great defensive backfield.

We have neither. So play zone, play press man, blitz. Doesn't matter, this roster doesn't have the personnel to play any scheme effectively for an entire game.

kf3339

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1o1rk0or said:
jammerhawk":1o1rk0or said:
I hate the complete unwillingness of Pete to recognize his DC is in over his head and drowning. 8 games in and on pace to be the worst defence in the 101 year history of the game. The worst ever and sadly it's not even close but if continued will set a record which may never be broken. Abject futility is what we are being served up by a defensive Head Coach who knows how to make a D work. friendship has it's limits and the collective team is being hurt by the incompetence of the DC. At what point does Pete say sorry Ken but we need to make a change b/c you have no answers?.

The Buffalo game is a perfect example of seeing nothing work. Soft zone for most of the first half, get dinked and dunked to death. Start blitzing, can't get home enough and WR's and TE's running free for deep completions.

Bottom line with our defense this year? You can get away with a mediocre defensive backfield if you have a good pass rush, and you can get away with a mediocre pass rush if you have a great defensive backfield.

We have neither. So play zone, play press man, blitz. Doesn't matter, this roster doesn't have the personnel to play any scheme effectively for an entire game.

Okay Largent, so lets say your statement is correct. Who's fault is that?

This is PC's team. He calls all of the shots on players. JS only does what PC tells him to do. So if all these players who PC brought in are as bad as you say, who should pay the price?

What you seem to be advocating is that PC is the problem and instead of extending him should have been let go or forced to retire. That would have been fine with me. But with Jody Allen giving PC an extension until he is 74 tells me nothing will change. PC will continue to do it his way. We will see this team start to regress even faster. Perhaps even see RW force a trade to get away from PC and his 1970's football playbook.

That feels where this team is headed to me.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kf3339":9zjheldo said:
Sgt. Largent":9zjheldo said:
jammerhawk":9zjheldo said:

This is PC's team. He calls all of the shots on players. JS only does what PC tells him to do. So if all these players who PC brought in are as bad as you say, who should pay the price?

What you seem to be advocating is that PC is the problem and instead of extending him should have been let go or forced to retire. That would have been fine with me. But with Jody Allen giving PC an extension until he is 74 tells me nothing will change. PC will continue to do it his way. We will see this team start to regress even faster. Perhaps even see RW force a trade to get away from PC and his 1970's football playbook.

This is a complicated team game, so it's everyone's fault. From Schneider and Carroll for not drafting and acquiring the right players at the right time to fit into a successful scheme, to the coordinators for not developing, recognizing and implementing successful schemes and in game decision making.

Some of you guys think all we have to do is fire Norton, and poof! everything's better. That's far from the truth.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ctxmybn said:
kf3339":1ctxmybn said:
Sgt. Largent":1ctxmybn said:
jammerhawk":1ctxmybn said:

This is a complicated team game, so it's everyone's fault. From Schneider and Carroll for not drafting and acquiring the right players at the right time to fit into a successful scheme, to the coordinators for not developing, recognizing and implementing successful schemes and in game decision making.

Some of you guys think all we have to do is fire Norton, and poof! everything's better. That's far from the truth.

I think it has to do with the cap as well.. with the big contracts the Hawks have its hard to sign top teer FA... but the truth is they took some chances in the draft the last few years and it didn't pan out...Malik McDowell is a good example...

LTH

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I still say it starts with Pete. Pete is unable or not willing to adapt his scheme to his personnel. He doesn't have the talent available to make Peteball work. Therefore, good teams are beating the 'Hawks. They have 1 win against a team that is above .500. The rest of the games, subpar teams were still putting up 30+ against them. I don't know what the answer is.

TreeRon

Reaction score
"I think it has to do with the cap as well.. with the big contracts the Hawks have its hard to sign top teer FA... "
If we signed top tier FA We'd be in cap hell. They're the guys that want the big bucks and even then it can be a crap shoot with injuries, personalities, unfriendly schemes and etc..