Multiple players get 4-game suspensions for PED violations

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":335cfav3 said:
kidhawk":335cfav3 said:
SnoCoHawk":335cfav3 said:
Four games for smoking pot...yeesh. But then Datone Jones only got one game, so I guess his was a lesser drug than weed (is there such a thing?) or the others were already on probation.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that pot isn't under the PED policy. The only way to get multiple games for pot under the new policy is to have been busted on multiple occasions.

See above. McClain and Richardson received four-game suspensions each for "substance abuse," not PEDs.

The new substance abuse policy raised the permitted threshold from 15 nanograms of carboxy THC per milliliter of urine to 35 nanograms. Also, a player subject to discipline for a single positive test for marijuana is eligible for a 10-game suspension, instead of a full year under the old policy.

Why the league gives two players a four-game suspension for a substance abuse violation and another player a one-game suspension is anyone's guess. It may relate to the concentration of THC found in the player's blood, although this is actually a poor measure since people metabolize THC at different rates, i.e. those with higher concentration of fat.

[urltargetblank]https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Active%20Players/Drug_SOA_Policy_9-29-14.pdf[/urltargetblank]

The link is a copy to the 2014 drug policy. In it are all the rules regarding testing and discipline.

Substance abuse penalties cover more than just marijuana. They are basically any banned drug not considered a PED. Suspensions vary from 1 to 4 games

It's most likely that the differences between these are one of two things, either one has been busted more times than the other, or they were busted for different substances.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kidhawk":1s8a245r said:
hawknation2015":1s8a245r said:
kidhawk":1s8a245r said:
SnoCoHawk":1s8a245r said:
Four games for smoking pot...yeesh. But then Datone Jones only got one game, so I guess his was a lesser drug than weed (is there such a thing?) or the others were already on probation.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that pot isn't under the PED policy. The only way to get multiple games for pot under the new policy is to have been busted on multiple occasions.

See above. McClain and Richardson received four-game suspensions each for "substance abuse," not PEDs.

The new substance abuse policy raised the permitted threshold from 15 nanograms of carboxy THC per milliliter of urine to 35 nanograms. Also, a player subject to discipline for a single positive test for marijuana is eligible for a 10-game suspension, instead of a full year under the old policy.

Why the league gives two players a four-game suspension for a substance abuse violation and another player a one-game suspension is anyone's guess. It may relate to the concentration of THC found in the player's blood, although this is actually a poor measure since people metabolize THC at different rates, i.e. those with higher concentration of fat.

[urltargetblank]https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Active%20Players/Drug_SOA_Policy_9-29-14.pdf[/urltargetblank]

The link is a copy to the 2014 drug policy. In it are all the rules regarding testing and discipline.

Substance abuse penalties cover more than just marijuana. They are basically any banned drug not considered a PED. Suspensions vary from 1 to 4 games

It's most likely that the differences between these are one of two things, either one has been busted more times than the other, or they were busted for different substances.

In addition to having a lower concentration of the substance in their urine, a missed test (Stage 1) could result in a one-game suspension.

It's insane that they can test a player up to 10 times each month. That is totally draconian.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Doest substance abuse also include alcohol if you have been involved in a incident where alcohol was a factor? I believe this is why Matt Prater got a suspension.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2vfqyucn said:
Doest substance abuse also include alcohol if you have been involved in a incident where alcohol was a factor? I believe this is why Matt Prater got a suspension.

I believe that would fall under the blanket coverage of "conduct detrimental to the league."

kidhawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":30omdgjo said:

I only scanned through the other portions of the pdf I linked above, but there is mention of alcohol in that document.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2015":4dbe02zn said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/616340236902211584[/tweet]

Are players allowed to, say, go on a vacation to Europe for a month? Just curious to know exactly how the protocol works in the off-season.

Expectedly, these positive substance abuse tests are for marijuana. Why is the NFL still testing for marijuana? Dumb.

Players are required to let the NFL know where they will be at all times. If a player doesn't tell the NFL where they are, if their name comes up for testing and they don't get tested it is considered a failed test. The NFL will find someone to collect a sample no matter where the player is going to be.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/nfl-star-sheldon-richardson-charged-with-resisting-arrest-in-o/article_c0748a24-9602-5069-87da-56273b47a289.html[/urltargetblank]

Sometimes NFL Players never learn. Already facing a 4 game suspension to start the season, Jets Sheldon Richardson arrested in St Louis

lsheldon

Reaction score
kidhawk":ykk5won0 said:
[urltargetblank]http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/nfl-star-sheldon-richardson-charged-with-resisting-arrest-in-o/article_c0748a24-9602-5069-87da-56273b47a289.html[/urltargetblank]

Sometimes NFL Players never learn. Already facing a 4 game suspension to start the season, Jets Sheldon Richardson arrested in St Louis

What a maroon...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ric ... ar-BBlfdI4

“St. Charles County Prosecutor Tim Lohmar said Richardson, 24, a St. Louis native and former University of Missouri star, was driving a 2014 Bentley Silver Spur that was clocked by police as going as fast as 143 mph.

He said as officers attempted to stop Richardson’s car and the other vehicle along the highway, Richardson increased his speed, drove off the highway, and sped through a traffic light to try to get away.”

Sadly, the Pro Bowler put a 12-year-old boy in harm’s way. It’s being reported that the boy and two other men were in the car with Richardson at the time of the chase. Charges have not been filed against any of them.

Richardson has been charged with resisting arrest, exceeding the speed limit, following too closely, failing to use lights and failing to obey a traffic signal. It’s amazing he wasn’t charged with child endangerment.