My lone complaint regarding Lynch

Kaiser

Reaction score
His style is fine. You arent going to find a perfect RB anywhere, so i'll take his spetznaz type ability to escape WHILE in contact over anyones ability to do pretty much anything else.

OP
OP
plyka

plyka

Reaction score
ManBunts":n615gjr6 said:
plyka":n615gjr6 said:
JerHawk81":n615gjr6 said:
I had hoped that this tread would be something about his media interactions.

Be careful confusing a flaw with a style. One-cut running is good sometimes. Patience, vision and angles are good others. So while I agree that Lynch is not a one-cut-and-go guy, there's no one-cut-and-go guy in history that I would trade Lynch for.

Terrell Davis. I would trade Lynch for him immediately. Emmitt Smith is another, although he was less one cut and go. I'm sure there are a lot others.

If you watch Lynch, sometimes there is a hole wide open in the middle of the field, but he doesn't hit the hole, instead he attempts to bounce it outside where there is no hole. Just take what the defense gives you. I watched this offensive line closely, and they have been run blocking very well. It's Lynch's job to take advantage. Try to take more runs where they are designed, which is up the middle instead of outside.

I wouldn't trade Lynch for anyone. Seriously! And yes, there have been better backs in history, but his style meshes so well with our team. How many times has our offense been flailing and then Beast Mode comes out. Not with a fancy Barry Sasnders-esque run, dancing around defenders like they're poles, but just trucking through them. Showing that we can shoulder a load, fight through and persevere. Frankly this TD run against the Giants, to me, is the epitome of his effort and will in running the ball and I think one of his best runs. Sure it's only like 4 yards, but any other back would've gone down at the 1. Lynch doesn't. I wouldn't trade that second effort for anything
http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... 37f13086b3

Let's not get it twisted here. Lynch is awesome! No one is denying that. But I would take some backs over Lynch. Walter Payton, Bo Jackson, Jim Brown --you know the list. But the other poster said there were no other one-cut backs he would take over Lynch. And Terrell Davis is the definition of a one cut back --and I would take him over Lynch. But again, we are talking about HOF players here.

Sgt. Largent":n615gjr6 said:
plyka":n615gjr6 said:
But my lone compaint about the guy is that he doesn't have a cut and go running style. He is looking too much to break a big run and he is too indecisive before he hits the hole. He likes to dance around and then bounce it outside WAY TOO MUCH. This is a zone blocking scheme, it's really meant for 1 cut and go type backs. I think he would be much better if he was more incisive. Make your cut and hit the hole HARD..

One of the things that separates great running backs from average RB's is patience. What you're really saying is you'd like Lynch to have LESS patience and just hit the hole, whether the hole's there or not.

Holes don't always open up quickly, especially in the zone blocking scheme. The Hawks run a lot of stretch plays, which take time to develop. You don't want your RB being impatient, you want him to do what Lynch does, wait for the hole to open up..............then hit it with the ferocity of 1,000 dying suns.

No, patience is not the main point of my original post. It's more of taking what the defense gives you. Sometimes there is a hole, where the hole is supposed to be --up the middle --but Lynch attempts to bounce it outside and gets stuck. This gets much worse in goal line situations. On the goal line, i would rather him not be patient --the risk vs reward is different when you're that close to the endzone. There simply should NEVER be a 6 yard loss on a 1st and goal from the 3 yard line for a premier back. Even if it's not there, you should take the 0 gain.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
plyka":1xfmfj4o said:
But my lone compaint about the guy is that he doesn't have a cut and go running style. He is looking too much to break a big run and he is too indecisive before he hits the hole. He likes to dance around and then bounce it outside WAY TOO MUCH. This is a zone blocking scheme, it's really meant for 1 cut and go type backs. I think he would be much better if he was more incisive. Make your cut and hit the hole HARD

No, patience is not the main point of my original post. It's more of taking what the defense gives you. Sometimes there is a hole, where the hole is supposed to be --up the middle --but Lynch attempts to bounce it outside and gets stuck. This gets much worse in goal line situations. On the goal line, i would rather him not be patient --the risk vs reward is different when you're that close to the endzone. There simply should NEVER be a 6 yard loss on a 1st and goal from the 3 yard line for a premier back. Even if it's not there, you should take the 0 gain.

I'm not sure what Marshawn Lynch you're talking about, but the one on the Hawks is arguably the GREATEST RB in NFL history at getting back to the line of scrimmage and out of sheer will and nastiness getting a yard or two when most backs would be dropped for a loss.