My post Super Bowl hot take

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3djotvl9 said:
Coach says he is looking forward to working in new adjustments to defense for next year.
I am in favor of adjustments that change from a somewhat passive reactionary zone scheme to something that is an attacking defense. Seems to me if you play reactionary defense you are providing additional built in advantage to the offense. I want to see a defense that dictates play instead of reacting after the fact.

That's the indictment of how poorly John and Pete have tried to rebuild the defense over the past 3-4 years.

We all know Pete wants to dictate, on both sides of the ball. What's forced his hand into playing base 50% or more is personnel, he doesn't trust the players he's having to put on the field to press cover, rush only four and play single high safety.

It's not like Pete all of a sudden got more conservative on defense. He HAD to, and again that's an indictment of the lack of faith he had in the guys on the field to not mess up and give up big plays if he played his usual cover three scheme.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2zc7j45f said:
Appyhawk":2zc7j45f said:
Coach says he is looking forward to working in new adjustments to defense for next year.
I am in favor of adjustments that change from a somewhat passive reactionary zone scheme to something that is an attacking defense. Seems to me if you play reactionary defense you are providing additional built in advantage to the offense. I want to see a defense that dictates play instead of reacting after the fact.

That's the indictment of how poorly John and Pete have tried to rebuild the defense over the past 3-4 years.

We all know Pete wants to dictate, on both sides of the ball. What's forced his hand into playing base 50% or more is personnel, he doesn't trust the players he's having to put on the field to press cover, rush only four and play single high safety.

It's not like Pete all of a sudden got more conservative on defense. He HAD to, and again that's an indictment of the lack of faith he had in the guys on the field to not mess up and give up big plays if he played his usual cover three scheme.

Agreed. The only moves in the past 4 years that have panned out has been Diggs and maybe Clowny. Draft picks across the whole defense have been abysmal. If you are going to point to Shaq Griffen and tell me that is the standard we are shooting for then I will show you a team that is not a SB contender.

knownone

Reaction score
HawkerD":20t7453f said:
Sgt. Largent":20t7453f said:
Appyhawk":20t7453f said:

Agreed. The only moves in the past 4 years that have panned out has been Diggs and maybe Clowny. Draft picks across the whole defense have been abysmal. If you are going to point to Shaq Griffen and tell me that is the standard we are shooting for then I will show you a team that is not a SB contender.
Are you serious? We were a handful of injuries from being the #1 seed with the 28th ranked defense. I would kill for more Shaq Griffen caliber players :les:.

I think you guys might be underestimating this front office. They are just now emerging from two years of cap hell. Mcdowell was a major investment that got injured off the field. His injury led them to give up a 2nd to bring in Richardson (who did not work out). They also gave up another 2nd for Brown because Fant got injured. This feels a bit unlucky rather than an indictment on their ineptitude.

They've been fairly league average in how they've hit on draft picks and attempted to rebuild their defense. Let's not forget, this team has ranked 3rd, 13th, 11th, and 22nd in scoring defense the past 4 seasons. It's not like they've been an unmitigated disaster during the entirety of this stretch.

I think the issue is pretty obvious, Seattle was banking on being able to rush the passer with Ziggy, Collier, Green, Clowney, and it did not work out. Now they finally have the cap space and draft capital to actually target guys they need, rather than attempting to rebuild on the cheap out of necessity.

The 49ers were ranked 28th in defense last season. They used the #2 overall pick on Bosa, traded a 2nd rounder for Dee Ford, and in total spent about 45 Million rebuilding their defense / pass rush. This season they were ranked 2nd in defense. Did the rest of their roster just magically get better? Nope. They went from an average pass rush to an elite pass rusher which made their entire defense better collectively.

That's the thing, a lot of the guys the Hawks have drafted, who look average to bad right now, might actually be capable starters with the right supporting cast around them. Seattle finally has the resources to put difference makers around them, so let's hold off before indicting the Hawks on the previous 4 years of roster moves when they had one hand tied behind their back for much of that time.

ivotuk

Reaction score
People use the wrong stats when judging offense and defense. Yards matter not. Points are everything.

This year the Seahawks Offense, even with a plethora of injuries, ranked #9 in scoring in the NFL. 25.3 points per game with one of the toughest Strength of Schedules in the NFL.

Vikings: 25.4

New England: 26.2 (cupcake schedule)

Cowboys: 27.1

Chiefs: 28.2 (2.9 PPG difference from Seattle).

Tampa Bay: 28.6

New Orleans: 28.6

SF: 29.9

Ravens: 33.2

Defense was the issue. Unlike SF, we don't have the luxury of a losing history with high 1st round, after high 1st round pick on the DLine (19.4 PPG), or a Cupcake Division like New England has (14.1 PPG)

After years of double digit wins and being in the playoffs, our Cap was getting maxed out, our players were getting old, and we had to do a "turn" as Pete called it. Cutting a bunch of aging, high-priced players, and replacing them with draftees and signees. Since all of our picks were late picks, we didn't have the luxury of selecting the cream of the crop.

But, with great scouting, and coaching, and in spite of injuries, we made it to 11-5 this year. We were inches from being NFCW Champions, and possibly the #1 NFC seed.

As it was, with 17 players on IR, and 1 Rookie DT (DeMarcus Christmas) on PUP, this team still managed to keep games close, by holding opponents to 24.9 PPG. Granted, that left them ranked 22nd, but considering how decimated this team was, that's damn good coaching.

That's only 5.5 ppg more than a LOADED SF Defense gave up.

None of that takes in to account defensive players that they nursed through to the end. Clowney (Core Injury requiring surgery), Bobby Wagner (knee), Quinton Jefferson (Ankle/Broken Foot), Ziggy Ansah (Neck), Tre Flowers ((knee), Marquise Blair (Ankle), Quandre Diggs (Ankle).

Would I like to see some changes though? Yes. But not to coaching staff, and nothing major. Just some offensive adjustments to take advantage of our MVP Caliber QB, and our newfound weapons that nobody realized that we had.

I'd like to see the OLine improve, and add a good to great TE and WR.

I want to see draft capital go in to the defensive line. If we could have gotten some pass rush, it would have helped out our backfield a LOT. As it was, once we finally got the Safeties settled, it looked pretty good. Trey Flowers had some bloopers, but I expect him to make a big jump during his 3rd training camp, much like our Pro Bowl DB did.

chris98251

Reaction score
ivotuk":2v94skn0 said:
People use the wrong stats when judging offense and defense. Yards matter not. Points are everything.

This year the Seahawks Offense, even with a plethora of injuries, ranked #9 in scoring in the NFL. 25.3 points per game with one of the toughest Strength of Schedules in the NFL.

Vikings: 25.4

New England: 26.2 (cupcake schedule)

Cowboys: 27.1

Chiefs: 28.2 (2.9 PPG difference from Seattle).

Tampa Bay: 28.6

New Orleans: 28.6

SF: 29.9

Ravens: 33.2

Defense was the issue. Unlike SF, we don't have the luxury of a losing history with high 1st round, after high 1st round pick on the DLine (19.4 PPG), or a Cupcake Division like New England has (14.1 PPG)

After years of double digit wins and being in the playoffs, our Cap was getting maxed out, our players were getting old, and we had to do a "turn" as Pete called it. Cutting a bunch of aging, high-priced players, and replacing them with draftees and signees. Since all of our picks were late picks, we didn't have the luxury of selecting the cream of the crop.

But, with great scouting, and coaching, and in spite of injuries, we made it to 11-5 this year. We were inches from being NFCW Champions, and possibly the #1 NFC seed.

As it was, with 17 players on IR, and 1 Rookie DT (DeMarcus Christmas) on PUP, this team still managed to keep games close, by holding opponents to 24.9 PPG. Granted, that left them ranked 22nd, but considering how decimated this team was, that's damn good coaching.

That's only 5.5 ppg more than a LOADED SF Defense gave up.

None of that takes in to account defensive players that they nursed through to the end. Clowney (Core Injury requiring surgery), Bobby Wagner (knee), Quinton Jefferson (Ankle/Broken Foot), Ziggy Ansah (Neck), Tre Flowers ((knee), Marquise Blair (Ankle), Quandre Diggs (Ankle).

Would I like to see some changes though? Yes. But not to coaching staff, and nothing major. Just some offensive adjustments to take advantage of our MVP Caliber QB, and our newfound weapons that nobody realized that we had.

I'd like to see the OLine improve, and add a good to great TE and WR.

I want to see draft capital go in to the defensive line. If we could have gotten some pass rush, it would have helped out our backfield a LOT. As it was, once we finally got the Safeties settled, it looked pretty good. Trey Flowers had some bloopers, but I expect him to make a big jump during his 3rd training camp, much like our Pro Bowl DB did.

People forget Flowers is learning on the fly, two years learning his job at the highest level against the highest level competition. Year three of four we will see strides, I expect improvement not Pro Bowl necessarily. Saying that he is getting better, also in respect to learning and unlearning abilities from CB and Safety takes time. He is a prospect that has shown ability, look at the rest of our roster at CB and seeing some of them play who is better?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Agree with you Chris that FLowers has shown potential. I like a natural ballhawk.

"They also gave up another 2nd for Brown".
Steal of a deal. Between Brown and Clowney deals I'm surprised Houston hasn't charged our FO crew with grand theft. Both were outstanding moves.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I have no problem with Schotty. I don't think getting a flavour of the month coach is going to change things. Schotty has advanced Wilson's game immensely and established a balanced attack that can score when healthy.

On the other hand we were the worst pass rushing team in the league and that has to change. It's a passing league and you have to get to the QB since DB's are largely pylon's these days with all the rule changes. So that's my hot take.

The DL talent gap between the Hawks and SF/KC was the biggest difference I saw.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ivotuk":pfu4ipq5 said:
Unlike SF, we don't have the luxury of a losing history with high 1st round

Ah, yes, that fabled luxury of having one of the worst teams in the NFL and getting high draft picks because you're awful.

It's really how the Browns, Bengals, Lions, Bucs, Jags, Raiders, etc. have been able to sustain their success over the years. :lol: :roll:

Is it too much to wish this luxury on you, or no? ;)

AgentDib

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm growing increasingly out of touch with the typical poster here but I don't agree there is a singular "the problem" to scapegoat. There's just one Super Bowl winner every year and luck plays a major role regarding injuries, officiating calls, and close plays that could have gone either way. Who at the start of this season expected the Tannehill led Titans to knock both the Ravens and Patriots out of the playoffs, leading to such an easy path for the Chiefs? All that unpredictability makes the sport fun to follow but also chaotic and the Super Bowl winner is rarely the best team each year.

You always have to be on the lookout for upgrades but personally I don't see any evidence that Mike LaFleur would do a better job. Remember that the 49ers offense struggled tremendously for a stretch when they had those key injuries to Kittle and Sanders, but the main difference was that they had everybody healthy again at the end of the season. If they had lost their RBs for the season like we did then this thread doesn't exist. Our final game against them could have gone either way and they were the far healthier team, so I don't really understand where all the angst about scheme and coaching comes from.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1478fy1y said:
ivotuk":1478fy1y said:
Unlike SF, we don't have the luxury of a losing history with high 1st round

Ah, yes, that fabled luxury of having one of the worst teams in the NFL and getting high draft picks because you're awful.

It's really how the Browns, Bengals, Lions, Bucs, Jags, Raiders, etc. have been able to sustain their success over the years. :lol: :roll:

Is it too much to wish this luxury on you, or no? ;)
Point taken and yeah, Lynch had to still hit on the picks but you know damned good and well it's a hell of an advantage. Think 30 other teams probably would've taken Bosa #2 last year?

xray

Reaction score
John63":3w204rv1 said:
bigskydoc":3w204rv1 said:
Schotty isn't the problem.

okay then what or who is?

He's not the solution either . All these things are totally up to Carroll to sort out ..not assistants . IMO

RW4LIFE

Reaction score
Many issues with the team made less glaring due primarily to the stellar abilities of one Russel Wilson.

The D was pretty bad overall and declined more and more as the season wore on and injuries accumulated.

Pete is long in the tooth scheme wise. Schotty is okay and seems to have helped elevate RW's game even more.

Don't think this team will win another SB with Pete. (But would love to be proven wrong.)

Sorry if that offends some in here. Love what Pete did for the team/city etc. but just not sure he's the right guy for Wilson at this point in Wilson's career / development.

A solid run game and defense combined with Russel Wilson puts us at or near the top of the league IMO.

That's how good Russ is but I fear his best years are now being wasted a bit primarily due to Pete.

That said, it was a great season and getting to watch Lynch come back was really something special.

John63

Reaction score
RW4LIFE":2qyqmsum said:
Many issues with the team made less glaring due primarily to the stellar abilities of one Russel Wilson.

The D was pretty bad overall and declined more and more as the season wore on and injuries accumulated.

Pete is long in the tooth scheme wise. Schotty is okay and seems to have helped elevate RW's game even more.

Don't think this team will win another SB with Pete. (But would love to be proven wrong.)

Sorry if that offends some in here. Love what Pete did for the team/city etc. but just not sure he's the right guy for Wilson at this point in Wilson's career / development.

A solid run game and defense combined with Russel Wilson puts us at or near the top of the league IMO.

That's how good Russ is but I fear his best years are now being wasted a bit primarily due to Pete.

That said, it was a great season and getting to watch Lynch come back was really something special.

BINGO