NBC Sports NW's Joe Fann on how dangerous Seattle's offense

ivotuk

Reaction score
Some great stuff from Joe Fan. "This offense could be a juggernaut.". " The offensive line has taken a step forward."

TOM, JAKE AND STACY

Will Seattle's offense be considered a juggernaut by the end of 2020? Joe Fann of NBC Sports Northwest joins Tom, Jake, and Stacy to start off the second hour.

In Four Down Territory, how will the lack of game speed make it harder for teams to get ready for the season? On The Timeline, what's up with Jamal Adams' hand?

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category ... +and+Stacy

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm cautiously optimistic about this year's offensive line, especially if Will Dissly remains healthy. Between him and Greg Olsen blocking on the ends, Brandon Shell who is a much better RT than Ifedi will ever be, the left side of Duane Brown and Mike Iupati, experienced Center Ethan Pocic who has had to wait his turn behind Justin Britt, and a very experienced rookie RG in Damien Lewis who has played a lot of snaps in College, and played very well.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There is a near zero chance we become an offensive juggernaut.

We have the capacity, considering the roster. (Though a key piece of most great offenses is a very good OL, we rarely have that)

Regardless, expecting a coach that has focused on defense to suddenly win with offense to change this late is unlikely. Combine that with what is clearly a belief on his part that keeping the ball from the opposing offense is the key to wins? Expecting a great offense is more wishcraft than anything else. Unless our defense really struggles, which I highly doubt considering our fixes in the secondary, the offense will rarely be opened up enough.

What is likely is that our offense will be nearly impossible to stop when we absolutely need to score. But that will generally be end of games, when we are less than a TD behind. Gaudy #s are not happening.

Carroll is going to win with defense.

In his mind, the job of the offense is to keep the game close with long drives and limit opposing touches. Then he can put the ball in his QB's hands at the end to win the game for him. Most coaches will strive to get a lead then run the ball to run the ball to milk the clock down at the end, Carroll does the opposite. That likely isn't changing no matter how great the offense.

He could have the 2nd coming of the Dallas Cowboys' SB Offensive Line with a WR corps of Jerry Rice, Michael Thomas, and Prime Jimmy Graham out there. He is still going to focus on the defense. He is and always will be a defensive-focus coach.

toffee

Reaction score
From the standpoint of skilled positions, we have every reason to be optimistic. The OL, on the other hand is worrisome. I suspect we shall have a difficult first half of the season then come on strong to finish.

That said, I don't think our OL is worse than last year, just about as bad, but not worse off.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Teahawks

Reaction score
We were top 10 last year for scoring and yards Regardless, the offense was not the issue last year...wait sorry, the 2nd half offense was not the issue last year lol.

But yes I believe we can move into the top 3 no problem. Top 3 in the eye test category too, not just in yards or scoring.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Our O-Line is going to emerge as much more of a strength than people are expecting, even if it takes a few games. Solari has had more time to work with Carroll and Schneider to get him his guys, guys that can play the way he wants. We even have depth. And don't sleep on Anthony Simmons, if this dude is healthy, he moves people in the run game.

Mick063

Reaction score
The offense carried the team last season.

A winning record, a playoff spot, and a late season challenge for a bye.

I don't find it difficult to believe. The rookie offensive guard may very well be the best drafted O-lineman since Okung. The quarterback is in his prime. The running backs are deep. The tight ends are deep. The sophomore Incredible Hulk receiver is ready for a breakout season. Lockett is in his prime.

It doesn't seem like a reach to say they can be significantly better than last season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
They can be dangerous if Pete and Schotty allow them to play in the first half instead of spotting the opponent the first 2 quarters every game.

That doesn’t even mean passing a lot more.

It means mixing up the plays, not being so predictable, and not being so content just to punt the ball in the first half. The mindset of the coaching staff starting with Pete needs to change in the first half of games.

It’s time to retire “1st half Peteball”.

Give it a try, what’s the worst that can happen? You score less points in the first 2 quarters than you do now? Not likely.

chrispy

Reaction score
I think Pete's happy to run up the score in circumstances. Remember early in his tenure, maybe 2012 or 13 when there were consecutive weeks of fiftyburgers? That season, there were a lot of lopsided games. So we can't say his philosophy will never/has never changed. It's barguable why...but saying he's a one truck pony is ignoring reality.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chrispy":36b98so3 said:
I think Pete's happy to run up the score in circumstances. Remember early in his tenure, maybe 2012 or 13 when there were consecutive weeks of fiftyburgers? That season, there were a lot of lopsided games. So we can't say his philosophy will never/has never changed. It's barguable why...but saying he's a one truck pony is ignoring reality.
I miss those days..

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3af6qg0c said:
They can be dangerous if Pete and Schotty allow them to play in the first half instead of spotting the opponent the first 2 quarters every game.

It means mixing up the plays, not being so predictable, and not being so content just to punt the ball in the first half. The mindset of the coaching staff starting with Pete needs to change in the first half of games.

Give it a try, what’s the worst that can happen? You score less points in the first 2 quarters than you do now? Not likely.

Agreed. I personally don’t think is at a place where he can change. The only hope is that Russ is demanding it behind the scenes. He came out publicly about it which is a good sign but I’m still not real optimistic. I hope I’m wrong though. I do think they have the personnel to be a top 3 offense

Seymour

Reaction score
DangeRuss???

[youtube]SiAMbIdO6RM[/youtube]

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":ee8q2e7p said:

What is the worst that could happen? Great question!

For one, a lot more turnovers, and more points given to the opponents, which means an even deeper hole out of which to climb.

Russ's TD-to-Int ratio is so good in part (how big is certainly debatable, I get that) because he takes very few risky chances until he knows what he's seeing. Until Pete knows how the defense is reacting to the plays, he takes a conservative approach that lets him know their tendencies.

Pete-ball has won a lot of games, more than most coaches in the league. I fully admit it isn't as fun to watch. It feels conservative and keeps games far closer than my heart can take at my age. But the Hawks win far more of those games than average because they know how to manipulate the defense by that time.

If we hadn't had injuries to our running backs and our best TE by the time post-season came around, the GB game may have looked very different. Health is a major factor in post-season, not just offensive philosophy.

Tamerlane

Reaction score
The Seahawks already had an offensive juggernaut and likely improved at most if not all offensive position groups this offeason. The formula works. According to Football Outsider's widely used measure of offensive efficiency:

2019: #4 pass offense, #6 run offense
2018: #6 pass offense, #6 run offense

This makes the Seahawks not only one of the best offenses but also one of the most versatile and balanced offenses. Which obviously matters if you pay any attention to playoff football where one after another high flying media 'superbowl favorite' gets stunned by an opposing defense (e.g. 2013 Broncos) and/or steamrolled by an opposing offensive strategy that they couldn't handle (e.g. 2019 Patriots and Ravens toppled by Derek Henry while the 49ers threw barely 200 total passing yards to get to the SB).

"Peteball" and "Cooking" are tiresome memes which John Morgan recently at FieldGulls along with many others have destroyed. Russ is every bit a part of Seattle's periodic slow start problem. A balanced offense is the real way to support him whether he knows it or not. It's not that long ago when Seattle's run game and offensive balance faltered for a period of time, at the end of which ProFootballFocus produced this analytical summary of the result:

"Wilson’s statistical splits by quarter are astonishing. He was one of the NFL’s worst quarterbacks in the first quarter, throwing for a measly 5.8 yards per attempt (34th) and a paltry 75.3 passer rating (32nd). He progressed to a league average quarterback in the second quarter, jumping to 7.6 yards per attempt (19th) with an 84.9 passer rating (23rd) and carried his momentum into the third quarter by improving to 8.1 yards per attempt (17th) with an 88.9 passer rating (22nd)."

Anyway, the Seahawks offense is already a juggernaut thanks to a working formula. It's the defense that needed a more serious infusion of talent to get to the next level. Let's hope they got it.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
It's odd how the impression of an offense can be based solely off of people's views from the outside.

For instance, Seattle is not a run first team. It's a balanced team, but because they run more than most other teams, they get the impression that it's run first.

Then everyone has this idea that the Chiefs are a passing team that ignores the run and racks up points and yards.

But the Chiefs were 6th at 379 YPG, while Seattle had 374.

PPG, the Chiefs had 28.2, while the Seahawks scored 25.3. 2.9 points difference per game, less than a field goal.

The Ravens scored 80 more points in 2019 while running the ball for 203 YPG vs KCs 98.1.

The top 5 rushing teams were Baltimore, SF, Tennessee, Seattle and Dallas. Offense gets you there, but defense wins Championships. But you must have a balance.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Top 5 passing teams, Tampa Bay, Dallas, Atlanta, the Rams and KC.

I think the biggest change we need is to start hiking the ball earlier, but NOT in the first 4 - 6 games. Let the offensive line gel first.

Add to that, change up early play calling in the first half to include more RPOs.

I think going out with the intention of just increasing the number of passes is the wrong way to go. More RPOs put the ball in Russell's hands and let's him make the decision. Keep 'em guessing.

AgentDib

Reaction score
ivotuk":974hciyp said:
Add to that, change up early play calling in the first half to include more RPOs.
Kudos for being one of the few people to list a specific offensive change, rather than just "changing tempo" or "being less predictable."

The success of the RPO is heavily dependent on opposing LB speed, which is why I think we won't see much of it vs. Arizona or SF but possibly a bunch vs. LA. However, one of the benefits of using any QB roll out "too often" is that it really opens up the defense to biting on the throwback screen, which I believe was our most successful play from 2019 in terms of efficiency. Carson, Penny and Dallas should be weapons in the screen game for us this year.

The trade-off is that it does open Wilson up to taking more direct shots from DEs, particularly as he doesn't seem quite as elusive in the last two seasons. Perhaps the solution here is to spend that risk wisely; in crucial games, in games where we are trailing, in playoff games, etc.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3st6x7gs said:

You mean the first “3” quarters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk