New Coordinators Ken Norton Jr.+, Brian Schottenheimer-

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
While I think Ken Norton Jr. has done a commendable job given the tools he was given on the gutted defense that once held a litany of super stars, it's the offense that is the major eye soar. How much of that is Schotty and how much that is Pete weaseling his way into the playbook though? Even if Pete was 100% hands off and let Schotty call the shots I don't think the team would be better per say but I think there'd be some more consistency and more running the ball with Carson.

That being said Schotty is still an unimaginative twit that was hired because the league would take notice a mannequin with a headset on the sidelines.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
People were clamoring to get rid of Bevell like it was the "the thing" and were excited about missing the playoffs so he could get fired. For multiple years.

Well if that was you, you got your wish, and the end result is kind of funny, at least to this point. If you spent the last three years wishing the season away to get some people fired, then you're going to be really disappointed if the Seahawks end up in some long term 80s/90s/2000s Seahawk-level funk.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The reason you replace someone is because they do not do a good job.

If you turn around and replace them with someone near as bad or worse, this either does not help or it exacerbates things.

That does not mean that removing the original poor producer was not justified.

Bevell was a dumpster fire. Shoddy is garbage as well.

The solution is not hiring garbage instead of trying to revisit whether you should have let the dumpster fire continue to burn.

Seymour

Reaction score
Observation on Bevell vs Schottenheimer.

Bevell gets one of the leagues best pass catching TE's and turns him into a run blocker.

Schottenheimer gets one of the leagues best blocking TE's and turns him into a pass catcher.

The only thing those 2 coordinators have in common is Pete Carroll.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

TwistedHusky":l46l4k0u said:
It amazes me that people can look at Shoddy's record and come to any conclusion that gets them to expect reasonable results.

His entire career was mediocre production.

Some of you extrapolated wildly different production but he was not even a good enough coordinator to beat college defenses.

If you need people to make excuses for why you didn't produce, then you don't have a record of production.

We needed someone with a record of production.

Norton is looking spotty too. Crappy vs Denver. Decent against the Bears but then their QB was missing open guys all night. I know he sucked on the Raiders when he had Mack and Irvin. I wouldn't get too excited about him either but he did OK against the Bears.

Even top 15 defense is a stretch though. Once we start facing decent QBs I would like to see what the #s look like. Right now, there is nothing telling either way - just his track record in Oakland to fall back on.

Totally agree on Schott, never been so disappointed in a hire in my life. "good ole boy's club" hire IMO.

Not ready to go there on Norton, I think we my have to live with some mixed results as he makes this D more aggressive in an attempt to return to a turnover-D.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2gqrousf said:
The reason you replace someone is because they do not do a good job.

If you turn around and replace them with someone near as bad or worse, this either does not help or it exacerbates things.

That does not mean that removing the original poor producer was not justified.

Bevell was a dumpster fire. Shoddy is garbage as well.

The solution is not hiring garbage instead of trying to revisit whether you should have let the dumpster fire continue to burn.

Yeah, maybe.

But it's still a funny consolation prize in this apparent crap show. If we get really lucky, we'll have a team that replaces someone who does not "do a good job" for a decade or two. And those seasons wished away not "being fun" were sure worth wasting, weren't they?

Smellyman

Reaction score
Opposing DCs must giggle looking at the first two weeks of game film of the Seattle O.

IrishNW

Reaction score
I would consider Schotty a downgrade from Bev but im starting to think its not the O-coordinator and its all Pete.

Pete has no clue when it comes to offense, he wants what his defense counters. Deep passes and "big" plays