New rule change proposals. For your gasping entertainment.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
How could you even perform pass interference within 1 yard? would Jamming no longer be allowed? Lol. whoever proposed that is just like "this is haaaaaaard, my players should get a free release every time! *stomp stomp*"

mikeak

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":lzqg0r9t said:
Pass interference within one yard of the line of scrimmage is a dumb rule since it is a spot foul.

Yes it is a spot foul with an automatic FIRST down

It could still be a huge penalty. Sherman had one of those against the 49ers. 15+ yards to go, clear PI past the 5yards but well before the 1st down. This was on a 3rd down - led to a new set of downs which led to a Touchdown.

All you would have to do is let the QB put the ball in the air if he sees any WR not able to get off the line of scrimmage.

Note - as written here jamming would still be allowed within the 5yards as long as the ball is not in the air. It is changing the PI rules not the holding rules. So you jam a guy, qb is holding the ball - legal, as soon as the qb releases the ball PI....

it would be such a dumb rule

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Cartire":45z5oash said:
It's getting insane. Kick off from the 40? They might as well not even kick it, just start from the 20. What a waste of one of the most exciting plays in football.

And pass interference within 1 yard of scrimmage? There goes press corners. QBs will just instantly fling it to a receiver being pressed.

A lot of these seem fairly biased against Seattle's defense,
Those are the two I have an issue with. If these pass Saturdays will be the best day for football. This is just sad. I wonder if Clayton, or someone knows if either of these will pass.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Cartire":3u9oa663 said:
It's getting insane. Kick off from the 40? They might as well not even kick it, just start from the 20. What a waste of one of the most exciting plays in football.

And pass interference within 1 yard of scrimmage? There goes press corners. QBs will just instantly fling it to a receiver being pressed.

I would add to these the horrible idea of moving the LOS for extra points to the 25 yard line........would completely eliminate the 2 pt conversion which makes games interesting IMOP.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1o9i41t5 said:
Pass interference within one yard of the line of scrimmage is a dumb rule since it is a spot foul.

Yeah, but the automatic first down would suck ass.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
That 1 yard crap is completely unacceptable and directed straight at the Hawks. Total BS and designed to immediately impact the success of teams that play that way. Namely Seattle because they do it better than anyone.

You beat it with a strong running game and physical receivers. It is surely a Harbafreak rule idea and because the heralded Broncos were beat down in the Super Bowl. The league didn't get their offensive show from the candy ass Broncos. Boo Hoo.

Kickoff has been part of the game forever. Messing with it will put a damper on the game without a question. It is exciting and offers a strategy for both the kicking and receiving teams. Figures when Percy Harvin is coming into health Roger even considers it. BS.

Leave the game alone, the league is starting to remind me of a certain government administration.

mbtitleist

Reaction score
HawkMeat":va82q6cb said:
Cartire":va82q6cb said:

Those are the two I have an issue with. If these pass Saturdays will be the best day for football. This is just sad. I wonder if Clayton, or someone knows if either of these will pass.

I was busy at work so I didn't hear exactly which ones he was talking about but some of these were mentioned by Clayton this afternoon on Wyman, Mike and Moore.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure half of .net could manage a touchback if kicked from the 40. If they are going to do that, then they need to make touchbacks come out to the 30 or something, because kickoffs would become meaningless. Considering that there are a lot of good players who made millions to support their families in this league on kickoff teams, eliminating or marginalizing kickoffs seems really unfair to a substantial bulk of the league's players. Plus it would remove one of the most exciting plays in the game.

And the long distance extra point? That's pretty silly. A ways back I kind of liked the idea of an automatic 7 for a TD though, with teams gambling a point if they want to go for 2. Most teams won't go for two so removing the PAT would shave several minutes off of every football game with essentially the same outcomes.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Just eliminate kickoffs and let the refs randomly award a phantom return TD to their favorite teams.

Then have a optional end zone or nothing fifth down inside FG range worth 3 points. Why have kickers just for field goals? Active roster space is gold.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I like the longer extra point. In a way it it's truer to how it used to be, as it it's only in the last couple of decades where it had been truly automatic. It makes sense to me to normalize based on rate of success and as kickers improve that means adding yardage. 80%-90% success rate is a good target.

#12 does seem pretty awful as it seems to put the CB in a tough spot having to make judgement calls about when to stop jamming. Defensive players already have too many gray areas to deal with; whether it it's tackling mobile QBs or making a hit in the middle of the field.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
mbtitleist":12p5pun3 said:
HawkMeat":12p5pun3 said:
Cartire":12p5pun3 said:

I was busy at work so I didn't hear exactly which ones he was talking about but some of these were mentioned by Clayton this afternoon on Wyman, Mike and Moore.
Thanks.

I caught a minute of the show, and he mentioned the Bowman rule which should pass. I missed most of the show so I am not sure if I missed anything else.

Moving the goal posts is even being mentioned for the future making field goals more difficult.

BASF

Reaction score
I really think that you guys are coming at the pass interference change from the wrong angle. Right now, they can not call offensive pass interference if it occurs within one yard of the line of scrimmage. This seems to be the Green Bay Packer rule proposal, since they have all of their receivers block except the one that is getting the slant as soon as the ball is snapped. They also have a lot of success with the pick plays on their crossing routes that are legal within one yard of the line of scrimmage. Plenty of teams have complained about it over the years. This would also seriously effect wide receiver screens where more often than not the receivers that aren't getting the ball are already blocking their DB's while the ball is in the air and are occasionally close enough that their DB's could have a chance at an interception.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ The issue is that you are allowed to engage with a player within the 5 yard cushion but as soon as the ball is in the air it would be called a PI.

It would be impossible for players to release exactly when the pass is thrown leading to many PIs unless you also change the 5 yard cushion rule to a 1yard rule which would make it ridicilously easy to get off the line

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I have a suggestion, why don't we NOT make a bunch of rule changes and say we did.

Enough rule change talk, let's just play the game!

Natethegreat

Reaction score
tom sawyer":e6uslks4 said:
I have a suggestion, why don't we NOT make a bunch of rule changes and say we did.

Enough rule change talk, let's just play the game!
This, in fact they would be far better off eliminating and streamlining rules for the refs so they don't have so much to do/control.

Largent80

Reaction score
2,6,7 I can agree with. And for the love of Gawd , get RID of the early/inadvertent whistle. Seriously, some doofus blows a whistle and all else that happens becomes moot? It is the most ridiculous rule ever.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Other than the "Navorro Bowman Rule", not sure why you guys assume these are Harbaugh requests. Its not like these issues haven't come up in other games.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Marvin49":21difa1i said:
Other than the "Navorro Bowman Rule", not sure why you guys assume these are Harbaugh requests. Its not like these issues haven't come up in other games.

Mostly jokes, Marv, off the fact that Harby likes to cry about our corners every time we play you guys.

there's no way that 1 yard PI crap would be accepted, I'd literally stop watching football, that rule is stupid.