NFL changing domestic violence rules

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Because of the varying nature of one domestic abuse case vs another, I am pretty uneasy about blanket punishment policies.

Cartire

Reaction score
I wonder how Greg Hardy will like being the test subject after seeing his colleague get away with a hand slap. I wonder how much precedent he will cite, and how much the NFLPA will go to bat for him.

kearly

Reaction score
Cartire":ybtgxezl said:
Its a good collaborated story. Seems like something the NFL would like to put out in the public to help justify their light sentencing. The fact that they didnt, tells me its a good story, and nothing more.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but to suggest the NFL had any impact on the police reports is truther level absurdism.

Regarding the lack of charges, mutual domestic violence is not grounds for legal action. That's the reason why charges were not pursued by the state of New Jersey.

Cartire

Reaction score
kearly":25r945xr said:
Cartire":25r945xr said:
Its a good collaborated story. Seems like something the NFL would like to put out in the public to help justify their light sentencing. The fact that they didnt, tells me its a good story, and nothing more.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but to suggest the NFL had any impact on the police reports is truther level absurdism.

Regarding the lack of charges, mutual domestic violence is not grounds for legal action. That's the reason why charges were not pursued by the state of New Jersey.

No, I dont think the NFL impacted police reports. Where did you read that? I said, I would assume, if this was the actual case, that the NFL would want the public to know she hit him first. They never say this, they didnt even leak it. They mention nothing of a mutual confrontation.

The police report is probably right. What I think may not be mentioned (through agreements from the authorities and Rice and his now wife) was the other stuff going on during it. And being that I think we can agree that Goodell has first hand knowledge of all the events that took place, he probably agrees that it was easier to not even talk about what happened and just hand a light punishment, even with the public backlash that would ensue.

Its all just out of the box thinking. But, the situation was handled somewhat weird, that it merits skepticism.

ASuperForce

Reaction score
The nature of the penalty structure and the value of an NFL job means that most domestic violence will most likely now go completely unreported. But hey, at least they look tough now.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Deadspin has a measured take that basically says nothing has really changed.

http://deadspin.com/so-whats-actually-n ... 1628098179

Deadspin":3dqcm7rr said:
Domestic violence offenses still fall under the league's Personal Conduct Policy, with which the NFLPA inexplicably handed the NFL unilateral control over discipline not specifically covered in the CBA. Players will still have the right to appeal their punishments and likely get them reduced. Literally nothing has changed.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3kpfguz3 said:
Kind of misleading though, because most violations of things don't even have a suspension requirement in the first place. The NFL didn't have to suspend Ray Rice at all, for example.

Cartire

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":195tgtg1 said:
SeatownJay":195tgtg1 said:
Kind of misleading though, because most violations of things don't even have a suspension requirement in the first place. The NFL didn't have to suspend Ray Rice at all, for example.

Of course they didn't have too. But this is also what I was saying Roland. Two games has no precedent. And I think the NFLPA threatening fighting if it was more was nothing more then a bluff. The public would have supported 6-8 games and the NFLPA would have gotten bad press trying to fight it.

All leads back to 2 games being a compromise. I'm convinced, now more then ever, that Rice had his dick out during the altercation. ;)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Cartire":1169i3mj said:
All leads back to 2 games being a compromise. I'm convinced, now more then ever, that Rice had his dick out during the altercation. ;)
Would not surprise me AT ALL. :)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Cartire":3av4c9wn said:
RolandDeschain":3av4c9wn said:
SeatownJay":3av4c9wn said:

Of course they didn't have too. But this is also what I was saying Roland. Two games has no precedent. And I think the NFLPA threatening fighting if it was more was nothing more then a bluff. The public would have supported 6-8 games and the NFLPA would have gotten bad press trying to fight it.

You made my point better than I did in this thread and the other.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Another point that all the media talking heads seem to be misunderstanding is that a second offense is not a "lifetime ban" as has been reported numerous times. It's an indefinite ban that can be appealed after one year. It's the same penalty that was given to Gregg Williams in Bountygate.

pmedic920

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2dlck6jh said:
Interesting..... Now Rice wasn't charged with anything.... the video was damning but legaly nothing happened to him.

Now are we suspending people for being charged or for being accuesd?

Cause if all it takes is being accused. I can get a lady to swear Kap upper cutted her. I have a couple buddies on SPD that could draw up a fake police report. Boom 6 games!

He must not have denied it.
Doesn't really matter if he was charged with a crime or not.
NFL found out about it, Rice submitted to the process, accepted the punishment AND apologized publicly.
He did it.

chris98251

Reaction score
You can be charged with domestic violence and never touch anyone, all someone has to do is call 911 and feel threatened because you yelled at them, a real bitch could ruin your career very fast.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
This better be based on convictions, otherwise, it is incredibly over the top. Anyone can make a blanket accusation.

The NFLPA is an embarrassment to unions. Upshaw was a clown and had no idea what he was doing (while Tagliabue, a lawyer, ran circles around Upshaw). Smith doesn't seem much better.

themunn

Reaction score
RedAlice":2as6243r said:
In addition to focusing on domestic violence and sexual assault, we will continue to maintain strong policies regarding weapons offenses. We are similarly working to strengthen our response to impaired driving. We have sought – unsuccessfully – for several years to obtain the NFLPA’s agreement to more stringent discipline for DUI, including mandatory deactivation for the game immediately following an arrest and a minimum two-game suspension for a first violation of law.

That is from the memo sent out to owners.

Wonder how this affects the ruling on Aldon not delivered yet.

Guilty until proven innocent? Arrested for a DUI you miss a game - doesn't matter if you're not charged or are later proven innocent in a court of law, you get suspended?

No wonder the NFLPA push back on it - I'm all for tougher sanctions on people who are sentenced following a DUI, but suspending someone without them being proven guilty? Way to go NFL. Let's not forget, Lynch was arrested for DUI but later plead guilty to reckless driving. Should he have been suspended simply for being arrested?

Latest posts