NFL Network on Kam at 4PM Pacific

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3vergbo1 said:
CodeWarrior":3vergbo1 said:
Recon_Hawk":3vergbo1 said:
Heck, most GMs would agree with Chancellor that he is worth way more than the $4.5m he is set to earn.

This $4.5M figure needs to disappear. That is his base salary. Include the prorated portion of his signing bonus and he is set to earn over $5.5M this season. Average yearly earnings of over $7M. Tops for a SS.

You are right. $5.5m is better way of looking at it. I don't consider APY as the best measurement tool, though.

GMs don't look at APY when they cut a player or ask them to take a pay cut because their salaries escalate later in their contracts.
No over 7 million is the way to look at it. He is at the top of the ss salary field.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
mikeak":8dclo27w said:
$5.65million is his salary for this year. Not sure why that is being disputed or discussed.

The last year is most often not played out which is why Kam wants that money moved. The last year increases the average per year. If you are going to count the last year then it should be fully guaranteed.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... hancellor/
Not when you factor in the upfront money. He's within a few thousand dollars of the highest paid player at his position

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Fade":36lu6427 said:
Recon_Hawk":36lu6427 said:
Heck, most GMs would agree with Chancellor that he is worth way more than the $4.5m he is set to earn.

That's not how it works. You can't view 1 year in a vacuum. He was given around $8M before his extension even kicked in via signing bonus, and a bump in his base salary in the last year of his rookie contract. They gave him his money upfront so he would have more manageable cap numbers going forward.

For some players, which include Kam's situation, they earn every penny of the early years of their contract, even if it was frontloaded.

It's no different then a player who signs a backloaded contract to help a club stay under the cap, only to get cut when the cap hit doesn't match the performance.

GMs review each player's contract every offseason and if a player isn't playing to the cost of him that year, they won't look at APY to justify overpaying him. Now, if you believe that, then Why should Kam have to look at his APY to justify being underpaid?

SeaTown81

Reaction score
kearly":2sgc16n1 said:
SeaTown81":2sgc16n1 said:
kearly":2sgc16n1 said:
HansGruber":2sgc16n1 said:
FWIW, he's not asking for $1 million. He said he wants $3m pushed into 2016. So, not sure what people are talking about with 900k or whatever.

Seattle's offer on the table is 900k short of Kam's demands.

Says who? The DC based reporter that Kam's agent hand picked to deliver their warped message in a weak attempt to control the conversation through the national media?

This is no different than that ridiculous Josina Anderson PR spin they tried a month ago. Brock and Salk said it today they are hearing he exact opposite from people in the Hawks organization. That they aren't negotiating with him. Ever notice how when Kam speaks it's never to a local reporter? It's on purpose. Keeps hand picking his own national people to use to push their agenda into the public, and try to force into public perception. This is Karl Rove-esque misdirection. And it's apparently working on some fans and media, who suddenly now think it's close and that Kam isn't being unreasonable. Where this $900k number comes from is beyond me. He wants a $4 million raise for next season! That's not peanuts. Not at all. Don't fall for cheap PR spin. He's only doing it because he has so little a hand to play. It's desperation tactics.

That's interesting to think about. Wouldn't the Seahawks then release a statement saying this is totally false just like they would for most other rumors (edit) that would undermine their position?

Personally, I find it very believable that Seattle is negotiating a compromise. And given that Kam is being emotional over a $900k difference, this doesn't feel invented to me.

Even if you are right and this is totally made up, we can at least deduce that Kam's goal is *probably* to add $4 million, not tens of millions on some new mega-deal (I personally think if Kam was jonesing for a mega-extension we would have heard it leaked by now). If it really is over $4 million, that means that every game check Kam loses and every day of $30k fines is going to be really tough to swallow. I'd bet he's back in the next month, if not much sooner.

The Seahawks do not negotiate through the media. Something that Kam's agent has been trying to do for some time now. This is what happens when one side has ZERO leverage. They try to create it by tricking lazy media. And it works in terms of public perception. It's modern politics 101. But it doesn't get them anywhere with the Hawks.

Not only do they not negotiate through the media, they also want Kam back. They don't want to go to war with him publicly. They don't want to make him look bad. That's not their style. Schneider is currently tasked with getting Kam back without him feeling further wronged or disgruntled. You don't gain that by sniping back in the media. Saying they aren't interested in trading him is something entirely different. That doesn't make him look bad. It shows their commitment to him.

Lastly, this $900k nonsense. Like I said, this his his attempt to come off resonable. As if he's not demanding his next 2 seasons of pay paid to him next year. He's trying to make the Hawks look like they aren't working with him and that he's done his part. If you believe that, I don't know what to tell you. If it was really that close, he's a flat out idiot for not coming bs k by now. The amount of fines he could've had forgiven plus this game check are more than $900k. So that right there shows that figure is BS. No, he wants to get paid $9 million next year, instead of $5. End of story. Don't fall for such a desperate political Hail Mary. thats all yesterday was. I think he's close to coming back. Not because they are close. But because this is all a sign of just how little leverage he has. Lawyer Milloy, who has his back on this, admitted as much today. Dude has ZERO leverage if he wants to get paid.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
What really doesn't make sense is Kam says he isn't asking for any new money this year. So why does he want to risk losing money this year by holding out? His hold out this year doesn't make sense if it's not being impacted this year. He could easily show to practice and still negotiate. The Seahawks may be more amicable if he did instead of what he's doing. His statements reek of BS. He's trying to save face that's all...he's failing at that.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
But defensive coordinator Kris Richard — who in his role coaching the secondary the previous five years is as close to Chancellor as any coach on the staff — thinks a return of the real No. 31 may not be all that far away.

“We stay in contact,” Richard said after Thursday’s practice. “And really, we are all encouraged by it. We want him here, he wants to be here. Right now,both sides are working. Everybody cares, everybody wants the right thing. Everybody wants him here. He wants to be here, we want him here and right now there will now be resolution. … ultimately we are encouraged by it. He’s involved, he’s with us, he’s still here. He’s taken his stand and we are just waiting to get him back.”

Asked if he would be surprised if Chancellor missed most of the season, Richard said he would be.

“Yeah I would be surprised,” Richard said. “And it’s because we know how much this game, this team, means to him. And right now he has taken a stand where he’s taken it and there is ultimate support on both sides. The closeness, the real relationships, who we are, who he is, that will not change.”

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... r-holdout/

justafan

Reaction score
Why would you trust a man to play out his contracts final 2 years if you give him the money now. He already showed he is willing to bail out on a signed contract
I wouldnt give him anything over what his contract states.He will be missed but he isnt the team.The team is out working their butt off getting ready for the Rams.

andyh64000

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2nssgav6 said:
What really doesn't make sense is Kam says he isn't asking for any new money this year. So why does he want to risk losing money this year by holding out? His hold out this year doesn't make sense if it's not being impacted this year. He could easily show to practice and still negotiate. The Seahawks may be more amicable if he did instead of what he's doing. His statements reek of BS. He's trying to save face that's all...he's failing at that.

Because his agent makes more money if he signs a new deal and he talked Kam into doing something incredibly stupid.

mikeak

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1cgv4wp9 said:
mikeak":1cgv4wp9 said:
$5.65million is his salary for this year. Not sure why that is being disputed or discussed.

The last year is most often not played out which is why Kam wants that money moved. The last year increases the average per year. If you are going to count the last year then it should be fully guaranteed.

Not when you factor in the upfront money. He's within a few thousand dollars of the highest paid player at his position

Still don't understand how you get there. The signing bonus is spread on the five years and included in my number. Look at the Spotrac link. What upfront money?

The signing bonus remaining belongs with future years so is not counted for this year

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
mikeak":wjmsk41z said:
Tech Worlds":wjmsk41z said:
mikeak":wjmsk41z said:

Still don't understand how you get there. The signing bonus is spread on the five years and included in my number. Look at the Spotrac link. What upfront money?

The signing bonus remaining belongs with future years so is not counted for this year
Quote.. A little more than two years removed from a contract extension that pays him an average of $7,000,502 per year, the Seahawks strong safety has made good on his vow to take his holdout into the regular season... End quote..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...9ELVnge2NNqnAvn-g&sig2=AmjSB9WyAK0hmuPPKq6usw

DavidSeven

Reaction score
mikeak":409j084x said:
Tech Worlds":409j084x said:
mikeak":409j084x said:

Some of the upfront money is counted in 2013 (last year of rookie deal), but the contract period didn't begin until 2014. He signed a 4-year deal, not 5. However, Seattle gets to spread it across more years by agreeing to terms a year early and paying him several million in advance. The "bonus" is money he is paid a year in advance of the 2014-2017 contract period, and the 2013 year is not part of his current contract. It is only shown to reflect the cap hits.

In real cash, he received a $6.8M advance on his 2014-2017 earnings when he signed his deal. Add the base salary (not cap number) for each year from 2014-2017 and you have your $28M/4 year contract. That's how you get your $7M average salary. Even if you chopped off the last two years of his deal, he still would've made over $7M/year from 2014 through 2015. The last two years actually bring the average down because of the money he got in advance. By the end of 2015, he was due to earn $16.1M ($8M/year from bonus + base salaries).

Seafan

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1rr1x7v9 said:
HansGruber":1rr1x7v9 said:
Recon_Hawk":1rr1x7v9 said:
HansGruber":1rr1x7v9 said:
His agent Alvin Keels also represents Byron Maxwell:
https://twitter.com/alvinkeels

Dude got Maxwell paid. But he's giving really bad advice to Kam.

Clayton says the Seahawks are being pressured by the other owners not to cave. I don't think JS or Carroll could pay him even if they wanted to. I'm not even sure they can get all his fines dropped.

FWIW, he's not asking for $1 million. He said he wants $3m pushed into 2016. So, not sure what people are talking about with 900k or whatever.

His agent has him getting a $3m raise as it stands now (according to reports). Perhaps demanding 4m is getting greedy, but it's hard to argue that he's not helping his clients earn max value.

No, his agent hasn't gotten him anything. He's sitting this week and will pay $300k to do so. Further, his actions just told every other GM in the NFL that his signature on a contract doesn't mean anything. Which will significantly hurt his ability to negotiate in free agency.

His agent is greedy to the point of being clueless. It is impossible to sustain success when you only care about tiny short term gains to the detriment of long term earnings.

Heck, most GMs would agree with Chancellor that he is worth way more than the $4.5m he is set to earn. They just hate losing whatever leverage they have over its employees contracts, but I think all would understand it's just a business move and the only real move a player has to get an immediate raise.

The point a lot of people are missing is the $4.5 million. He has already been paid $18 million of his $28 million contract extension. That is supposed to be an average of $7 million a season. If he doesn't play another down for the Hawks he has earned $18 million the last two seasons, he has not been under paid. If he gets injured and leaves he will have been more than well compensated. He still owes the Hawks.

He and his agent are desperate and senseless. The Hawks won't give in. The question really is just how stupid is Kam? He needs to fire his agent and stop losing money.

mikeak

Reaction score
I have NO problem understanding the average salary. But you can't count the last year with so much non-guaranteed.

You can't say $7 million average salary = $7 million in 2015

I get the cap as much as anyone here maybe with the exception of Kidhawk.

What I know is he has $7 million average but he is making $5.65M in 2015

I also understand that there is a major chance that the team cuts him or re-negotiates PRIOR to the final year. This is the reason Kam wants to shift the money

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
mikeak":36zrbhn1 said:
I have NO problem understanding the average salary. But you can't count the last year with so much non-guaranteed.

You can't say $7 million average salary = $7 million in 2015

I get the cap as much as anyone here maybe with the exception of Kidhawk.

What I know is he has $7 million average but he is making $5.65M in 2015

I also understand that there is a major chance that the team cuts him or re-negotiates PRIOR to the final year. This is the reason Kam wants to shift the money
Blah blah... Bottom line is that he is a few thousand dollars off the highest paid player for his position. Wanting more money and screwing the team like this is just pure greed. Pure greed, plain and simple.

He cares more about his pocket book then the Seahawks, his teammates, or the fans.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ funny thing is I can't believe he is sitting out. Most of my other posts are about how this is selfish but even more stupid. If he is wanting to shift 2017 money to 2016 then sit out next year. Not after 1 out of 4 years.

So yea I agree with you in most things. Just not in distorting what he earns THIS year

morgulon1

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":19epcnpo said:
mikeak":19epcnpo said:

Yep, prorate the upfront money ( he's probably already squandered) and you can say he has done quite well for himself . "Blessed" I believe the way #31 described it. He's lucky an oldschool owner like Al Davis isn't running the show.
Give him the "Marcus Allen" then trade him to the chefs. :sarcasm_off:

Report to your job Mr Chancellor.

Gametime

Reaction score
Someone just needs to send Kam two things.

A calendar and a calculator. His agent seems to have misplaced his as well. Costco two pack should do the trick. The attempt to gain by willingly losing is not adding up.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
@Seafan

How has he earned $18m so far? Im actually I'm curious cause I could not reach that number. Even if that's true the way I see it, Kam has been worth every penny of $18 million the last two years. He's a top 10 safety regardless of position. If he hit the open market today he'd hit close to $9-$10 million a year. Now he wants to keep getting paid like that so why shouldn't he?

By this recent report out on it seems like the Hawk agree somewhat and they are looking give in a little. Now kam needs to a bit himself, too.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2015":j2sewxro said:
kearly":j2sewxro said:
hawknation2015":j2sewxro said:
No, the team does not respond to every rumor. It's particularly difficult to respond to rumors about ongoing negotiations that may impair future decision making.

Not saying "every" rumor but they will respond in many cases when being silent would hurt their position. For example, they immediately reacted to debunk the Kam trade rumors.

Immediately is misleading. Carroll responded to a question several days later when asked directly whether they were considering a trade. However, if Carroll were asked a question in his next press conference about specific figures in the negotiation, that would probably not be answered. It's not in their best interest to make a deal seem more far apart or to make Kam look bad. They just want him back on field, ASAP, without compromising the integrity of this agreement or future agreements.

At any rate, it was something they debunked within a short time frame.

In Seatowns scenario where Kam is potentially being dishonest to gain a PR edge, the Seahawks FO could very easily debunk it on the record with a simple statement that no talks have happened at all (something claimed off the record on Brock and Salk). No need to go into details, just say it isn't true.

Particulars aside, all that really matters is that Kam blinked first. I used to think his holdout would last months. Now I think his holdout is in its 11th hour.