NFL SHOULD NOT LET.......

jacobsod

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2db9kjje said:
mikeak":2db9kjje said:
It requires the team's approval

Harbaugh did not give his assistants the approval last year - guess where he is now

So that could be the flip side

Pete brought this up yesterday in his presser, how at times during his pro career he was not allowed to interview and that stuck with him as something he'd never do to his assistants.

Reason #1,459 as to why Pete > other coaches. Coaches want to play for Pete because he not only allows them to interview, he helps prepare them for the interview process.

Wow I didn't know that. Pete just earned even MORE of my respect. Take care of and respect your people and they'll take care of you. Signs of a good leader.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":3uapsesc said:
Bill Belichick has had what, 7 coordinators fail as NFL head coaches?

IMO Belichick is a good comparison to Pete.

What makes their teams successful is them, and not necessarily their assistants. Both coaches find assistants that gel with their philosophies and systems.

Which is why I'm not worried about losing coaches. Pete IS the coaching staff, all others are just moving parts to the machine.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
mikeak":2s6ozhv4 said:

Harbaugh did not give his assistants the approval last year - guess where he is now

Fangio, Roman, and Tomsula were all interviewing for HC jobs in the week between the Packers and Panthers playoff games last year (no bye week -- IIRC Roman interviewed with the Vikings the night before the Panthers game).

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2wkcfbjx said:
mikeak":2wkcfbjx said:

Pete brought this up yesterday in his presser, how at times during his pro career he was not allowed to interview and that stuck with him as something he'd never do to his assistants.

Reason #1,459 as to why Pete > other coaches. Coaches want to play for Pete because he not only allows them to interview, he helps prepare them for the interview process.

I posted about it awhile back but when Sarkisian was hired at USC he / someone talked about how PC had his assistants practice interview for higher up coaching jobs while PC was at USC. Point being was that PC felt it was his job to get his guys ready for the next job

mikeak

Reaction score
Popeyejones":26lppext said:
mikeak":26lppext said:

Fangio, Roman, and Tomsula were all interviewing for HC jobs in the week between the Packers and Panthers playoff games last year (no bye week -- IIRC Roman interviewed with the Vikings the night before the Panthers game).

Looks like you were right so the 49ers were just being a-holes in a different way

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-said-no/

Popeyejones

Reaction score
mikeak":ar7svdt4 said:
Popeyejones":ar7svdt4 said:
mikeak":ar7svdt4 said:

Looks like you were right so the 49ers were just being a-holes in a different way

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-said-no/

Oh yeah, Donatell, who was so beat up about it he signed a two year extension with them back in March.

Look, we're in a thread complaining about coaches interviewing during a bye week and the 9ers let both of their coordinators (as well as the front runner for their current vacancy) run the interview circuit in the 72 hours leading up to the Divisional Round game last year. Hate the 9ers all you want of course, but they might not be the best bogeyman for this thread.

chrispy

Reaction score
If you believe Pete really walks the walk, you have to expect this.

He lives "competition" and preaches it to his staff. How can he really expect his team to compete on a daily basis if he didn't encourage them to embrace the opportunity to compete in other areas- off the field? Would anyone really take him seriously if he said, "Compete in everything you do. Even if you don't win every time, it'll make you stronger and better." But then when his DC has the opportunity to interview for a HC job he would be completely two-faced if he didn't allow it. ... if he didn't encourage it.

Pete has had a lot of dis-believers all along. Anyone who is still in that camp isn't going to change their mind now. Those of us who see the big picture that he paints, has to accept that any forum that allows competition is to be embraced and attacked. If the challenge is shied away from, you just don't get it. I'd be surprised if the conversation didn't go something like, "Go interview. Get the offer. Do everything you can to win. I'll help in any way I can. Once you have the offer, then you decide. Don't back out of a race before it starts. Compete."

I think, in many organizations, the decision to interview for a position is looked upon negatively; like being a bad team member. Within the Seahawks organization, it's looked upon as a chance to compete. Every chance to interview is jumped on, even with the Browns. It also means that there may be more situations where a candidate decides not to take a position, even after they "win" it.

seedhawk

Reaction score
If you don't allow them to interview, you probably will not be able to hire the assistants you really want.