Nick Foles: The Rams new quarterback

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Ramfan128":nur2djwp said:
hawknation2015":nur2djwp said:
Reality is Rams' porous OL + Foles' deer-in-the-headlights against pressure is going to be a mess against the better defenses. With time to throw, Foles has shown both in college and with the Eagles that he can be deadly accurate. But when the coverage is tighter and there is a rusher barreling down on him, he is one of the most inept QBs in the league. In that way, he is similar to Colin Kaepernick. Foles tends to be much better in the 4th Q (when he has time) while Kaepernick is in a different stratosphere as an athlete. All things being equal, I would take Kaepernick over Foles.

I wouldn't call the Rams Oline "porous". They had good games and bad games last year, and though incomplete right now, I'm sure it will be addressed and be improved over last year.

By what measure is the Rams' offensive line not porous?

Eye ball test. They were five simultaneous turnstiles, allowing 47 sacks (tied with the Jets for 8th most in the league).

Football Outsiders' metrics gave St. Louis an adjusted sack rate of 8.6% (i.e. bad) for 23rd in the league.

PFF gave every Rams starter a negative grade and ranked them as the 2nd worst OL in the NFL -- saved only by Miami. They graded 30th in pass pro as a unit: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -rankings/

Greg Robinson played much better at guard than he did at OT (i.e. lost) after Jake Long went down. Long is now gone for good, so how can you expect this unit to improve, especially with a virtual statue in the pocket? Lots of questions and don't see many answers in pass pro.

Rex

Reaction score
That is why the Rams are expected to be a rush oriented offense.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2r3rfbsr said:
Ramfan128":2r3rfbsr said:
hawknation2015":2r3rfbsr said:
Reality is Rams' porous OL + Foles' deer-in-the-headlights against pressure is going to be a mess against the better defenses. With time to throw, Foles has shown both in college and with the Eagles that he can be deadly accurate. But when the coverage is tighter and there is a rusher barreling down on him, he is one of the most inept QBs in the league. In that way, he is similar to Colin Kaepernick. Foles tends to be much better in the 4th Q (when he has time) while Kaepernick is in a different stratosphere as an athlete. All things being equal, I would take Kaepernick over Foles.

I wouldn't call the Rams Oline "porous". They had good games and bad games last year, and though incomplete right now, I'm sure it will be addressed and be improved over last year.

Eye ball test. They were five simultaneous turnstiles, allowing 47 sacks (tied with the Jets for 8th most in the league).

Football Outsiders' metrics gave St. Louis an adjusted sack rate of 8.6% (i.e. bad) for 23rd in the league.

PFF gave every Rams starter a negative grade and ranked them as the 2nd worst OL in the NFL -- saved only by Miami. They graded 30th in pass pro as a unit: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -rankings/

Greg Robinson played much better at guard than he did at OT (i.e. lost) after Jake Long went down. Long is now gone for good, so how can you expect this unit to improve, especially with a virtual statue in the pocket? Lots of questions and don't see many answers in pass pro.

I wouldn't call it porous because there are probably guys not on the team right now that will be starting next year. Also, you're right that statistically they are below average, but they had some very good games last year - SEA, DEN, OAK, @WAS, @SD. We allowed some sacks in some of these games, but the Oline played well enough for the offense to execute well. Sacks probably aren't the best measurement when you have backup QBs playing all year - they aren't going to make decisions and change plays like an average NFL starting QB would.

And as for the eyeball test - that's exactly what I'm referring to, because I watched just about every play last year.

Robinson will be better just from natural progression and experience, Saffold is solid, Barksdale (whom we should be re-signing any day now) played much better when Saffold was at RG, which will likely be where he is next year, either Jones or Rhaney will be an upgrade over Scott Wells at C, and a new LG will be leaps and bounds better than Davin Joseph. I would anticipate this group being league average or better next year.

RedAlice

Reaction score
I'm feeling more optimistic for this year's Oline than I have in a long time.

Ramsfan128 has some good points, and it's the one thing I've been following somewhat regarding the draft. Have not had enough time to read/learn about the options yet; but, I do believe Snead/Fisher will take care of it in the draft rather than some of the options they had in FA. Simply not re-signing Wells and JLong (adorable as his wife is) - is an improvement.

I end up with some time talking to Philly fans these days....am enjoying their fresh comments on B. Even before he has played a snap, they are almost as divided as Rams' fans became. I'd like to see him succeed there.

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
He is a lot better than Hill or Davis. And actually those two had some really good games last year.

Foles is sneaky athletic.

He shouldn't have a hard time finding Tavon with that 6'6" height.

It's not like he has to do it all himself. Rams got some playmakers and a running game.

They shouldn't need that many points to win anyway. Ball control offense will be lethal with that D. They will wear people out and have 4 good running backs.

Dangerous. Team.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sherman4Prez":3k7tzbpa said:
He is a lot better than Hill or Davis. And actually those two had some really good games last year.

It's not like he has to do it all himself. Rams got some playmakers and a running game.

They shouldn't need that many points to win anyway. Ball control offense will be lethal with that D. They will wear people out and have 4 good running backs.

Dangerous. Team.

Not with Fisher as a coach, he will ruin Foles like he has every other QB that was young he has had. You don't have an Eddie George in L.A. to open the passing lanes, we seen a few nice games from the Rams RB's, but they have yet to establish consistency there. The defense has held everything up so far, based on the off season they are starting to churn that line, Fisher has had a knack of having great D lines so I don't expect a drop there. Maybe a different strength level. The Pass rush has been killer for so long.

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
chris98251":lu5s411i said:
Sherman4Prez":lu5s411i said:

Dangerous. Team.

Not with Fisher as a coach, he will ruin Foles like he has every other QB that was young he has had. You don't have an Eddie George in L.A. to open the passing lanes, we seen a few nice games from the Rams RB's, but they have yet to establish consistency there. The defense has held everything up so far, based on the off season they are starting to churn that line, Fisher has had a knack of having great D lines so I don't expect a drop there. Maybe a different strength level. The Pass rush has been killer for so long.

I could only see him "ruining" Foles if two things happen. 1) He doesn't fill the holes on the OL. 2) He asks Nick to do too much. I don't see either happening but the OL is suspect right now.

Something very underrated was the fact that we couldn't keep good defenses honest with the current our back up QB's last year. We also didn't protect them well enough. So yeah, definately some slack in the rope. Good thing is the season doesn't start tomorrow.

I've been keeping up with SEA a bit. I'm really curious to see how they address their OL and secondary after losing Carpenter, Unger, and Maxwell. They do have a knack for scouting so SEA can't be wrote off by any means.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1etgghqn said:
hawknation2015":1etgghqn said:
Ramfan128":1etgghqn said:
hawknation2015":1etgghqn said:

I wouldn't call it porous because there are probably guys not on the team right now that will be starting next year. Also, you're right that statistically they are below average, but they had some very good games last year - SEA, DEN, OAK, @WAS, @SD. We allowed some sacks in some of these games, but the Oline played well enough for the offense to execute well. Sacks probably aren't the best measurement when you have backup QBs playing all year - they aren't going to make decisions and change plays like an average NFL starting QB would.

And as for the eyeball test - that's exactly what I'm referring to, because I watched just about every play last year.

Robinson will be better just from natural progression and experience, Saffold is solid, Barksdale (whom we should be re-signing any day now) played much better when Saffold was at RG, which will likely be where he is next year, either Jones or Rhaney will be an upgrade over Scott Wells at C, and a new LG will be leaps and bounds better than Davin Joseph. I would anticipate this group being league average or better next year.

I can appreciate fan optimism, but listen to what you are saying. You do not consider your offensive line to be porous because you believe there are unnamed players, not currently in your roster, who will be starting next year. That goes beyond fan off-season optimism into blind faith territory.

For the record, I hope you are right. I want Jed York's 49ers in the cellar of the division.

OrFan

Reaction score
Fishbreath is still the coach. Is Foles better than bench riding Bradford? Yes because he will actually play. Fisher will find a way to make them mediocre, he always does, it is what he is.

I see 8 - 8 from this team with a couple great games, just enough to make people there believe Fisher has got something real going.

Great step getting rid of Bradford, not enough. Fisher can make any team, regardless of the talent, become a nothing team.

RedAlice

Reaction score
As has been stated by all: a lot of what Foles does depend on the Rams OLine. Personally, I prefer having Foles as the object holding the ball rather than the last 5 years of B. So, already it's an improvement.

It's kinda impossible to make final opinions on something that is not done yet re: the OLine. So, I'm gonna wait.

And, as is my happy nature - I'm gonna be positive until I can't. Draft is 3 or so weeks away, time to learn some and hope some.

Oh, and his record be whatever: I have not given up on Fish yet.