Object lesson: Be disciplined and true to scheme or be gone.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I had high hopes for Bass to become a solid part of the relief corps on D but his error was significant on the play which resulted in a 61 yard running play. He failed to do as he was coached to do and failed to be true to the scheme and exposed his fellow teammates.

The return of Garrison Smith is however timely as the team goes to Tenn. to face a solid running game where his superior size will be of advantage.

I'd not be surprised to see bass return at some point if he doesn't get picked up elsewhwere.

kf3339

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2lzdi2wp said:
sdog1981":2lzdi2wp said:
brimsalabim":2lzdi2wp said:
But the offensive line, TE's, and even running backs can whiff blocks and leave free rushers play after play without so much as a critical word from the staff...

This quote from Warren Sapp sums up what is going on with this Seahawks team.

"But he was fired in January of 2002; he was the only head coach in Bucs’ history to have a winning record!"

He was fired for a reason: couldn’t get them over the hump. “He let the offense relax too much,” said defensive captain Warren Sapp.

“It always felt like the offense wasn’t held to the same standards we were held too, and there was tension.”

I remember that quote. Although I had forgotten who to attribute it to.

We've seen this before. Even in reverse with Holmgren. I expect that happens with whatever type of head coach one hires. Holmgren was very tough on his offense. Their standard was one of an offensive mastermind. And truth be told, in Green Bay his style worked because at that time he was a first time Coordinator to HC hire and Fritz Shurmur had far greater autonomy within the structure there as defensive coordinator. And further, Ron Wolf was the ultimate neutral buffer between the two halves of the team. There wasn't an ability to imprint a lopsided identity for the team because the overlord of the organization was neutral.

With our structure here, that will never happen. Whether it was Holmgren as uberlord of operations, or Carroll in the same role.

Seattle plays offense like a defensive team. Everything they do including their approach to winning is aimed to augment the defense's efficacy. Seattle doesn't take risks. Seattle doesn't want to open the offense up. Seattle doesn't want to score 30+ points. They want to control clock. Limit mistakes even at the expense of scoring points, and play field position. All elements aimed at making the game easier for the defense.

Seattle does suffer from this relationship. We see the evidence for it constantly. And pretty much every fan out there can sense the long running tension between the two halves of this team.

Schneider, as good as he is, cannot be a moderating figure between a HC and his coordinator counterpart. Because the organizational structure doesn't allow for it. Schneider is merely the managerial extension of Carroll. There is no real autonomy for our OC. I put that firmly on Pete. He is not Belichick who is equally a defensively focused as Carroll. But he also gives his offensive counterparts autonomy to play offense as they see fit. He doesn't force a mandate down their throats to protect his vested interest in defense.

I'm not suggesting Pete do this per se. The worst thing any coach can do is not be true to their own self. This is part and parcel to the Carroll experience. And that experience has resulting in a great team and organization. But I do believe that the tension and lack of offensive quality begins and ends with Pete's original mandate for how to build his teams. I don't expect it to get better. Nor do I expect any offensive coordinator to have any real prospects to advance in their coaching careers. Because they don't get to put their mark on their product. It's stunted intentionally by Pete.

Ultimately I expect our offense to always be the red headed stepchild in this organization. Much like our defense was when Holmgren was here. Complaints about the offense really should be directed at Carroll himself. Because he intentionally has built a framework to retard the offense in virtually every way. Resources. Talent retainment. Creative license. Confidence and morale.

This is exactly correct. All the talk about Cable and Bevell is based on if we had better offensive coaches the end result on that side of the ball would be corrected. But the reality is that if they were removed the new coaches would be under the same constraints dictated by PC. That is why I feel our window is quickly closing and the team will follow the Holmren pattern in the next few years until PC retires.

We aren't and never will be a Super Bowl team again under PC. Just wait and see.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":14tfd77o said:
I remember that quote. Although I had forgotten who to attribute it to.

We've seen this before. Even in reverse with Holmgren. I expect that happens with whatever type of head coach one hires. Holmgren was very tough on his offense. Their standard was one of an offensive mastermind. And truth be told, in Green Bay his style worked because at that time he was a first time Coordinator to HC hire and Fritz Shurmur had far greater autonomy within the structure there as defensive coordinator. And further, Ron Wolf was the ultimate neutral buffer between the two halves of the team. There wasn't an ability to imprint a lopsided identity for the team because the overlord of the organization was neutral.

With our structure here, that will never happen. Whether it was Holmgren as uberlord of operations, or Carroll in the same role.

Seattle plays offense like a defensive team. Everything they do including their approach to winning is aimed to augment the defense's efficacy. Seattle doesn't take risks. Seattle doesn't want to open the offense up. Seattle doesn't want to score 30+ points. They want to control clock. Limit mistakes even at the expense of scoring points, and play field position. All elements aimed at making the game easier for the defense.

Seattle does suffer from this relationship. We see the evidence for it constantly. And pretty much every fan out there can sense the long running tension between the two halves of this team.

Schneider, as good as he is, cannot be a moderating figure between a HC and his coordinator counterpart. Because the organizational structure doesn't allow for it. Schneider is merely the managerial extension of Carroll. There is no real autonomy for our OC. I put that firmly on Pete. He is not Belichick who is equally a defensively focused as Carroll. But he also gives his offensive counterparts autonomy to play offense as they see fit. He doesn't force a mandate down their throats to protect his vested interest in defense.

I'm not suggesting Pete do this per se. The worst thing any coach can do is not be true to their own self. This is part and parcel to the Carroll experience. And that experience has resulting in a great team and organization. But I do believe that the tension and lack of offensive quality begins and ends with Pete's original mandate for how to build his teams. I don't expect it to get better. Nor do I expect any offensive coordinator to have any real prospects to advance in their coaching careers. Because they don't get to put their mark on their product. It's stunted intentionally by Pete.

Ultimately I expect our offense to always be the red headed stepchild in this organization. Much like our defense was when Holmgren was here. Complaints about the offense really should be directed at Carroll himself. Because he intentionally has built a framework to retard the offense in virtually every way. Resources. Talent retainment. Creative license. Confidence and morale.

PC's NFL offensive philosophy seems contradicting to me. Why are all of the philosophies from Pets's days at USC transferring to the NFL with the exception of the offense? Those USC teams put a lot points on the board, often very quickly. Despite this, Pete's number one priority in college was still "taking care of the ball". If I'm not mistaken most of Pete's coaching philosophies changed after his first stint in the NFL not when he got to Seattle.

I guess one could say Pete was able to get talent for his offense in college as well as his defense and in the NFL he has only been able to get the Defensive talent. Even with that maybe being true, the success has been nominal in the NFL from the PC Trojan era draftees compared to its defensive counterparts.

Why is Pete's offensive philosophy floundering in the NFL? Is it not being executed correctly? It is on him either way.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
jammerhawk":24mym6h6 said:
I had high hopes for Bass to become a solid part of the relief corps on D but his error was significant on the play which resulted in a 61 yard running play. He failed to do as he was coached to do and failed to be true to the scheme and exposed his fellow teammates.

The return of Garrison Smith is however timely as the team goes to Tenn. to face a solid running game where his superior size will be of advantage.

I'd not be surprised to see bass return at some point if he doesn't get picked up elsewhwere.

I also really liked what I saw of David Bass. Pete characterized the release of Bass to make room for Smith as a Titans match up decision. When asked if Bass could return to the 53 man roster, Pete's response was yes. I would think Marcus Smith will see more snaps and evaluation this week. And, as you know, Dion Jordan is still around ..... rehabbing. Smith reinforces the inside rotation and gives them the numbers to address that 5 technique with a look at defensive tackles.

I really like what Clint Hurtt is putting together. It continues to evolve.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Meh, Bass was in place around the LOS because he couldn't beat his man in the preseason. He got clean up sacks and clean up tackles because others were able to make a QB move or make a RB move off their lane. A JAG really.

Getting a sack or making a tackle isn't necessarily indicative of a player making an actual big play. Sometimes it's because they lag behind the others. This was often the case of Clinton McDonald. Everyone loved the guy because he got 5 sacks and 4 of those 5 were strictly clean up. I tend to feel the same way about Garvin. He got lucky twice in the preseason by lagging behind others in both the INT and the FR, but if you watched him in run defense he got dominated time and time again. Not enough thump and can't disengage. What people see is the "big plays", which are good to be lucky, but it's not unlike the bigtime dunker in BBall that isn't all that great of an actual basketball player. It draws the oohs and awes, but that player isn't really part of a winning formula overall.

That said, Bass is alright...