Obligatory post game OL evaluation thread - Redskin

hawknation2017

Reaction score
toffee":1p6x5trc said:
And our problem child Ifedi? And improvements?

Ifedi had some good moments going against a very good rusher, and he didn't allow a sack in the game. But he also had a holding call and allowed a couple pressures. Russell climbed the pocket on the final play and wasn't pressure much at all, so I'm not quite sure why people are harping on that play. Overall, I would give Ifedi a C+ or B-, when considering the quality of the opposition.

I thought the guards struggled in this game. Pocic was pancaked on the 2nd to last play, leading to a quick sack that all but ended the game. He also struggled in the run game, once again. Aboushi was bad on all fronts and is clearly the weakest link of the five starters, conceding multiple pressures and failing to generate any push for the running backs.

I think Britt only allowed one pressure, getting stunned on a hard swim move, which ultimately led to a sack after Russell fled the pocket.

Brown played OK. He looked solid in run blocking and pass pro when he knew what he was doing. He also looked confused on a few plays, seemingly allowing a free rusher into the backfield, and had a false start.

Overall, I thought the line showed promise. Aboushi was bad, but he wasn't as bad as Odi had been in any previous game. Pocic needs an off-season to get stronger, but he also showed some tenacity and heady play. Ifedi needs to ELIMINATE the penalties, but overall he is improving as an outside blocker. Brown is a veritable stud. Once he learns the plays, he will only make this line better.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Atrocious. Not sure who's worse between Ifedi and Aboushi. Flip a coin they both suck. Pocic gave the answer as to why he's been riding the pine all season. Britt did alright I guess, but had a few mistakes. Brown is easily the best of the group and played pretty steady.

Rat

Reaction score
Anthony!":9sy9j9c3 said:
Rat":9sy9j9c3 said:
Their success on pass rushes was way overstated by the announcers. Russ consistently had time to throw, but refused to do anything with the ball. This loss is on him as much as anyone.

I dont disagree he has culpability as he does and as I said in the game forum. However having time to throw and having someone to throw to are not the same as again the announcers pointed out on numerous times there wasn't place to go with the ball. Also define what you call success on pass rushes, if you mean sacks okay but I am talking pressure, as the announcer's pointed out he was under pressure a lot, this forces him to throw early or late, or not be able to step into it.

Again I an not saying he does not take blame, he does as does the whole team, but lets not act like his oline was great they were horrible and that does not even count the penalties. All that sai we had the game if our kicker can make a FG or our Defense can hold them.

You might be right. I can't see on TV who is open, but it sure felt like Russ was holding onto the ball a lot. I'd be interested in what somebody with game tape has to say about it.

I thought his protection looked decent, but my standards for that kind of things have gotten very low.

davidonmi

Reaction score
hawknation2017":3n714c44 said:
toffee":3n714c44 said:

Ifedi had some good moments going against a very good rusher, and he didn't allow a sack in the game. But he also had a holding call and allowed a couple pressures. Russell climbed the pocket on the final play and wasn't pressure much at all, so I'm not quite sure why people are harping on that play. Overall, I would give Ifedi a C+ or B-, when considering the quality of the opposition.

I thought the guards struggled in this game. Pocic was pancaked on the 2nd to last play, leading to a quick sack that all but ended the game. He also struggled in the run game, once again. Aboushi was bad on all fronts and is clearly the weakest link of the five starters, conceding multiple pressures and failing to generate any push for the running backs.

I think Britt only allowed one pressure, getting stunned on a hard swim move, which ultimately led to a sack after Russell fled the pocket.

Brown played OK. He looked solid in run blocking and pass pro when he knew what he was doing. He also looked confused on a few plays, seemingly allowing a free rusher into the backfield, and had a false start.

Overall, I thought the line showed promise. Aboushi was bad, but he wasn't as bad as Odi had been in any previous game. Pocic needs an off-season to get stronger, but he also showed some tenacity and heady play. Ifedi needs to ELIMINATE the penalties, but overall he is improving as an outside blocker. Brown is a veritable stud. Once he learns the plays, he will only make this line better.
They got pressure rushing 1 man. That's why people are harping on that play

jeremiah

Reaction score
Rat . . . "

Anthony! wrote:

Rat wrote:
Their success on pass rushes was way overstated by the announcers. Russ consistently had time to throw, but refused to do anything with the ball. This loss is on him as much as anyone.

I dont disagree he has culpability as he does and as I said in the game forum. However having time to throw and having someone to throw to are not the same as again the announcers pointed out on numerous times there wasn't place to go with the ball. Also define what you call success on pass rushes, if you mean sacks okay but I am talking pressure, as the announcer's pointed out he was under pressure a lot, this forces him to throw early or late, or not be able to step into it.

Again I an not saying he does not take blame, he does as does the whole team, but lets not act like his o-line was great they were horrible and that does not even count the penalties. All that said we had the game if our kicker can make a FG or our Defense can hold them.

You might be right. I can't see on TV who is open, but it sure felt like Russ was holding onto the ball a lot. I'd be interested in what somebody with game tape has to say about it. "......................................................................................................There are MANY QB's better than RW who would kill for this defense, and the offensive tools we have. The O-line, I am with some here that think it is coaching and philosophy that is the problem there. Put Brady behind the line we had yesterday, the Redskins would have to put up 36 pts to have a chance. RW, is a good, young exciting player, he is not the answer long term. HE IS TOO SHORT to see even when he has time.

mrt144

Reaction score
Rat":q1lqiqqy said:
Anthony!":q1lqiqqy said:
Rat":q1lqiqqy said:

Again I an not saying he does not take blame, he does as does the whole team, but lets not act like his oline was great they were horrible and that does not even count the penalties. All that sai we had the game if our kicker can make a FG or our Defense can hold them.

You might be right. I can't see on TV who is open, but it sure felt like Russ was holding onto the ball a lot. I'd be interested in what somebody with game tape has to say about it.

I thought his protection looked decent, but my standards for that kind of things have gotten very low.

Routes were by and large not there. This was a gameplan going into a wood chipper on passing offense. Already take a bit off of RW for the weather being a factor and then consistently run routes that are 15-20+ yards while having no outlet against a team with great DBs playing off the ball while their D Line got home with some regularity?

hawknation2017

Reaction score
davidonmi":1nu774oc said:
hawknation2017":1nu774oc said:
toffee":1nu774oc said:

They got pressure rushing 1 man. That's why people are harping on that play

Except, Ifedi rode the rusher out of the pocket, and Wilson had as much time as he needed (probably 10 seconds) to get off that final pass.

The actual offensive line implosion came on the preceding play when Pocic was put on his butt for a sack. Yet there are a dozen comments on a play where Russell stood in the pocket for an eternity (due to the one rusher who was ridden out of the pocket) and zero criticism of the play that actually counted.

I would find this strange if I wasn't aware that people have blinders. :2thumbs:

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The whole line will get better the more they play together, as will each player--they'll instinctively know what the others are doing, with time. Last Sunday is the worst we'll ever see the new line play.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!