OKC part owner Aubrey McClendon indicted (Recently Deceased)

drdiags

Reaction score
I figured he would beat this, just like the Browns Haslam did on his federal charges. Guess he felt otherwise. I guess he will be remembered in a better light in Oklahoma than he will be here in the PNW. Schultz is the biggest weasel of that entire drama.

Not sure how much time he was looking at if convicted but rotten deal he left his family having to deal with.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Danny O'neill speculated on ESPN that if the city of Seattle had held their ground and made the Sonics stay the final two years at Key Arena that they'd probably still be here as this guys business plummeted during the last recession and they would have been forced to sell the team to other owners.

Sounds like a suicide but maybe he was bumped off if he was going to rat out powerful people?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1kucfh4o said:
Danny O'neill speculated on ESPN that if the city of Seattle had held their ground and made the Sonics stay the final two years at Key Arena that they'd probably still be here as this guys business plummeted during the last recession and they would have been forced to sell the team to other owners.

Sounds like a suicide but maybe he was bumped off if he was going to rat out powerful people?
I've thought that all along, if they were held to the lease they'd still be here because soon after the economy crashed.

nategreat

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":rdygbg8t said:

Maybe Clay Bennett did it. I feel bad for his family though :cry:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think there is a good chance that if we held them to the lease and they stayed the final two years that the Sonics would have been sold back to a local owner. I think McClendon lost most of his fortune shortly after the team was sold to OKC group.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":r8dg0ed1 said:
I think there is a good chance that if we held them to the lease and they stayed the final two years that the Sonics would have been sold back to a local owner. I think McClendon lost most of his fortune shortly after the team was sold to OKC group.

I didn't live here when this happened. Why didn't the city stick to their guns? 2 years is a long time for other things to happen with arenas etc They also had Durant by that point so weren't far away from being contenders.

253hawk

Reaction score
This guy called it 4 years ago...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Hatey_McLife/status/197369638257041409[/tweet]

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":va5uoqt1 said:
That is correct.

OP
OP
twisted_steel2

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1ehbcylu said:
Hawk-Lock":1ehbcylu said:

I didn't live here when this happened. Why didn't the city stick to their guns? 2 years is a long time for other things to happen with arenas etc They also had Durant by that point so weren't far away from being contenders.

I think this explains things pretty well.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/yes- ... all-of-it/

The mayor had no backbone, and took a cash settlement instead of dragging it out another 2 years and waiting for a ruling on the lawsuit.

He tries to defend his actions in the article, but lots of good info in there.

Seafan

Reaction score
McClendon is leaving a legacy of earthquakes in Oklahoma for which he is almost singularly responsible.

He didn't approve of gay sex so I can see why he took his own life.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
McClendon and Bennett stole the Sonics but it was Howard Schultz who paved the way for them to do so. The real guilty party for Seattle losing the Sonics is Schultz. He takes most of the blame with city/government officials in 2nd.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawkfan68":12qnvcrz said:
McClendon and Bennett stole the Sonics but it was Howard Schultz who paved the way for them to do so. The real guilty party for Seattle losing the Sonics is Schultz. He takes most of the blame with city/government officials in 2nd.
I hate the OKC group but like you said there were a lot of pudgy fat fingers destroying the Sonics pie, see Stern and local government officials as well.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Wasn't McClendon the one who was quoted as saying that they wanted the Sonics, but didn't want the Storm because Oklahoma didn't want to import lesbians? Or was that different minority owner?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
GeekHawk":38iuiaqu said:
Wasn't McClendon the one who was quoted as saying that they wanted the Sonics, but didn't want the Storm because Oklahoma didn't want to import lesbians? Or was that different minority owner?
I don't remember that quote, but it would not surprise me in the least.