Old timers......

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLYhawks

Reaction score
As a long time Seahawks fan, long time 12, I'm only 30. Me personally, I really haven't paid attention to other fan bases. My question is this:

Has there ever been a following, a fan base the Seahawks now have? Us 12' s seem to be every where.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
I think there are several key events that increased our Nationwide base.
1) our first super bowl appearance.
2) The arrival of Pete caroll, his rah rah style got us a lot of press both bad and good.
3) The success of our defense.
4) the success of our QB play from Russell Wilson last year.
5) the Massive press received by our LOB (This year)
6) the Coaching style of Pete Carroll.
7) the Scouting ability of John Schneider
8) Russell Wilsons (presidential style Demeanor)
9) Lots of wins and in the past 2 seasons. (everyone likes a winner)
10) Me. :)

The Outfield

Reaction score
TalontedNoseRider":3uj0i03j said:
I cringe every time I see someone that's joined in 2013.....I know I'm not alone.

Why? Some of us have been long time fans and simply joined the forums when things started to get really fun.

MLTHawk

Reaction score
I feel that being somewhat secluded in the northwest has allowed our seahawk fandom to cultivate and be passed down from generation to generation. There aren't close teams that compete for us to be a fan. Being a 12 is ingrained into us and when we move out of state, it stays.

OP
OP
O

OLYhawks

Reaction score
TalontedNoseRider":392q43hj said:
I cringe every time I see someone that's joined in 2013.....I know I'm not alone.

My first live game was inside Huskey Stadium. Sorry I don't have the post count, but my question is legitimate.

KK84

Reaction score
TalontedNoseRider":1fdl6ha3 said:

I cringe every time someone suggests the join date on a fan forum means anything.

TalontedNoseRider

Reaction score
KK84":dws8zzts said:
TalontedNoseRider":dws8zzts said:

I cringe every time someone suggests the join date on a fan forum means anything.

I cringe when one wants the title belt that I have

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawks4thewin":2u7a97i3 said:
I think there are several key events that increased our Nationwide base.
1) our first super bowl appearance.
2) The arrival of Pete caroll, his rah rah style got us a lot of press both bad and good.
3) The success of our defense.
4) the success of our QB play from Russell Wilson last year.
5) the Massive press received by our LOB (This year)
6) the Coaching style of Pete Carroll.
7) the Scouting ability of John Schneider
8) Russell Wilsons (presidential style Demeanor)
9) Lots of wins and in the past 2 seasons. (everyone likes a winner)
10) Me. :)

1 A) Marshawn Lynch.

Green13

Reaction score
Don't cringe. I only recently registered here but I've been reading for a long time, and I've been a ticket holder going back to the Kingdome. I sat through some horrible seasons, but I was also there when they beat Denver in their first playoff game.

That was then and this now. It's a great time to be a Seahawks fan :!:

Mick063

Reaction score
Seahawks.Net isn't an exclusive qualifier for fandom. There were Seahawk fans long before the internet.

I would guess that there is a large number of long time fans that have never visited here before. Fans that love the team just as much as anyone that regularly visits here. I know a handful of them. They share their insight at work or in the tavern. Basically the same topics you read here but in conversation instead of posts.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Green13":10vpf3kp said:
Don't cringe. I only recently registered here but I've been reading for a long time, and I've been a ticket holder going back to the Kingdome. I sat through some horrible seasons, but I was also there when they beat Denver in their first playoff game.

Welcome! Good first post.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
As a diehard from 1976, I can personally tell you there has never been anything like this before as SEAHAWKS fans. As for other fanbases? Absolutely! Look at how well travelled the Packers fans have been for YEARS. Stealers, Cowboys fans among others. It's certainly not a new phenomenon, but when it happens to your team?

You know the team is reaching elite status.

The Radish

Reaction score
I'm guessing the first super star team was the Cleveland Browns when Jim Brown was there. As I recall they won 9 championships in a row during those years.

And of course the Packers & Da Bears have had huge followings starting in the 50s.

Pittsburgh was the doormat of the entire league foreven until Chuck Noll came along in the 70s and made them the juggernaut they are today with fans.

It seems to me that there was a team in the Bay Area that was pretty popular nationwide. I can't remember their name. :D

What we have now is about what we had during the 2005 year. As Todd said nothing breeds fans much better than success. I think we might have had more fans this year but there are several teams that have jumped up this year that were also rans for a long time. Denver with Manning have a huge fan jump. KCs success this year got them a bunch.

One I don't miss this year is the Washington fans. In my opinion they were the worst in 05.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
You know, it's funny, this new-found fandom. Weird. Unprecedented, for Seahawks fans anyway. I welcome new fans. How else are we to grow as a fan base if not by new fans? How else are others supposed to join the ranks of the 12s and root for the Seahawks? We've always complained (a little proudly, perhaps) that we never really had very many fans. Well that's changed now, and like it or not, we're becoming popular. Embrace it. Love it. Encourage it.

That said, I do find myself wearing the Joey Galloways, the Ricky Watters, the old school Alexanders and Hasselbecks more often when it comes to jerseys. It's not that I'd be ashamed to be a new fan; it's just that, well, being a fan since the beginning is kind of a badge of honor. And mental scars aren't readily apparent.

CD_Hawks

Reaction score
Green13":1ut4uci1 said:

Other than being a ticket holder part this could have been my post. That game was awesome and i would be going to the Rams game but i cant afford six tickets and they are available, I know because i just checked. Its just that my kids would disown me if i went without them. We will be watching together though and that's what matters.

And just one more thing....Yes i am an Old Timer.

muxpux

Reaction score
TalontedNoseRider":cztrov6w said:

haed to believe but not every fan is into internet message boards. and if they are, maybe they just heard about this place. i guess we better not advertise this place to gain more members, or else they will come here and be ridiculed for their join date? jeez.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
The more the merrier. I'm basking in this shiznit! If the fan base/market for this team keeps growing at this rate, there is no way the league can marginalize any longer. I've been a fan since 76 and no, I cannot remember more of a following, both in raw numbers and geographically.
The pefect storm of Pete Carroll, John Snider and a phenom QB that already had a large following from Wisconsin, NC and VA has really kicked this thing into high gear. This pandemonium will reach runaway train status when we hoist the Lombardy! (Knock on wood).

pmedic920

Reaction score
TalontedNoseRider":2k0ag3ar said:

A persons join date shouldn't make you cringe any more than the color of their skin would.
I've been a fan of this team since the NFL announced the expansion and that Tampa Bay and Seattle would be getting teams.
IMHO new members are good, and if they are not, they don't last long.
New does not automatically mean bad.
Lighten up a little dude.
Pmedic920 join date 2013.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
TalontedNoseRider":vnv947sr said:
That's ridiculous not everyone was born in the 1950's-60's nor is it some requirement to start your fandom at age 7 to be considered a real fan. Shocking fact for you but there are alot of people that just got interested in the NFL this year or last because they're teenagers or near enough on both sides of that age group.

Status
Not open for further replies.