Old timers......

Status
Not open for further replies.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Just because someone joined this board in 2013 does not make them a recent addition to the 12's. I joined here recently because another board died. But like probably many here I can go back to the original days in '76 when we resided in the AFC. Pre Hawks I was a Chiefs fan because they were the nemesis of the old Raiders. who was my Father's team, so I had to hate them Raiders. This translated very nicely when the Hawks came into existence in the AFC West.

I spent many days in the Kingdome watching games. I still have yet to make it to the CLink, my bad. I will have to change that someday ; )

Anyway we should embrace all the attention, it is a good thing.

Maybe since I am an old Ballard Boy we should have called the Hawks the "Lutefisks"

Jbo

Reaction score
[*]i have to admit the band wagoners do kinda piss me off ! Just from my experiences from living in Chicago I do get a lot off crap said to me, before 2005 when I wore any seahawk apparel people use to tell me " why do u like the seahawks? they suck!" And during 2005 and after that year they ask me if I like them cause their new unis or if their my new team cause their winning now! And usually those people that do rip on me for being a seahawks fan are the band wagon fair weather fans . For the record I have a 20 yr old seahawks jersey .. When Wilson made the jerseys and an 20yr old seahawks jacket made by apex that is warm as hell in the winter that I plan on wearing to my watering hole during the playoffs so I don't have to hear people talking smack. And I hope the bears go to the clink during the playoffs and get wrecked by the seahawks !!! And our D destroys jay "the mammas boy" cutler.

garrylt4

Reaction score
I saw a woman with an old school Seahawks scarf the other day. I got her attention and said Go Hawks. The first thing she said was "I've been a fan since I was nine years old" I told her I have 25 years in as a fan myself. In other words we let each other know there was no bandwagon jumping here. Also of note this happened 2700 miles from Seattle.

chris98251

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":135ivzt9 said:
Wasn't Osprey's ever a choice? I get Seahawks but most have no idea that it's a nickname for the osprey and would be far more understandable to people outside the Pacific Northwest. Just curious given I'm not old enough to have participated in the naming contests or polls.

To be honest about the time we got the team nobody cared what others may think outside the Pacific Northwest, Geoducks was on the list also, how many know what one of them are? Also can you imagine the greif we would have as fans trying to defend this fearsome animal to other fan bases.

argentine_geoduck.jpg

geoduck.jpeg

Geoduck

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
BobcatHawk":3vc5itz9 said:
Sports Hernia":3vc5itz9 said:
Not that it means anything but I've been a fan since I was 7, which was day one 1976. The reason the hawks are getting so much national attention NOW vs then over some of the other good Hawks teams of the past is that they are the deepest team talent wise in the NFL, the always positive attitude coming from the coaching staff, their bruising style of play, the dominance at home, the personality a of some of the players, how passionate the 12's are, and how the media is different and the internet which didn't exist back then. We live in a 24 hour news cycle now, so the "reality" in which we live is much different from the past. If I wanted to watch Hawks highlights in the past I was at the mercy of the networks, now in the internet age I can go on to YouTube and watch me at my leisure.

Just means you're old... lol
I was 19 on day one in '76. If he's old then what am I? :D

And how about Les? :les:

HawkWow

Reaction score
New Hawk fans don't bother me as much as new football fans. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of crossover there and that's when things can get unbearable. But the long time football fans can carry a conversation whether they are new to the Hawks, or not. The same cannot always be said for those that are Hawk first, football 2nd. They tend to get carried away, letting their fondness for the Hawks expose their lack of knowledge... and worse, they don't allow that lack of knowledge to slow them down.

MrMilos

Reaction score
MLTHawk":34xt1tsj said:
I feel that being somewhat secluded in the northwest has allowed our seahawk fandom to cultivate and be passed down from generation to generation. There aren't close teams that compete for us to be a fan. Being a 12 is ingrained into us and when we move out of state, it stays.

True that, son! My wife and I recently relocated to California from Washington and I remain a true blue 12. On top of that, we just had our first son, and my brother in law and sister got him a Russell Wilson uniform/onesie. He will be a mini 12 in a sea of Niners faithful!

i5roadrunner

Reaction score
When I got my first computer in 96 the first thing I did was start looking up info on the Seahawks and I am Not sure when .net started, but I found it along the way and have been here ever since even though my joined date does not reflect that and I have been a Seahawk fan a lot longer then that. Like someone pointed out, not everyone that is a Hawks fan is into forums or the internet and just may be finding .net now for the first time. There is a first for everything, even lurkers and newbies. We were all new here at one time.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Aros":ov1dnr17 said:
As a diehard from 1976, I can personally tell you there has never been anything like this before as SEAHAWKS fans. As for other fanbases? Absolutely! Look at how well travelled the Packers fans have been for YEARS. Stealers, Cowboys fans among others. It's certainly not a new phenomenon, but when it happens to your team?

You know the team is reaching elite status.
AND, by reaching that "Elite Status", Fans of other teams will hate you because the glitz & Glamour lights aren't shining on their teams as much anymore.

I'd never really known what it felt like to be a fan of this caliber of team before now, I had never thrown it all in for any OTHER team than the Seahawks.
Every other Franchise will do whatever they can to take us out, to try'n reclaim the #1 lead dog.
It's galling Rogers that we are where HE and the Packers thinks they should be, and the Niners fans are living in the past, back when the Cowboys , Stealers and Bears were dominating, back when there were rich owners, and no cap to level out the playing fields.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Probably the main reason for the increase in Seahawks popularity : All the pharmacists and dope dealers love our team!
/rimshot

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Aros":3okdpmrk said:
As a diehard from 1976, I can personally tell you there has never been anything like this before as SEAHAWKS fans. As for other fanbases? Absolutely! Look at how well travelled the Packers fans have been for YEARS. Stealers, Cowboys fans among others. It's certainly not a new phenomenon, but when it happens to your team?

You know the team is reaching elite status.
I too am from 76..My first game was at the dome ,they played the Lions and lost..I have watched them play at the Colts a few times since I moved here..This big fan thing of now,I think a big part is Seattle has gotten bigger,football is more popular and yes there is a bandwagon thing we aren't used to but some have to start somewhere..Why not here :49ersmall:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":w4cqk82k said:
Just because someone joined this board in 2013 does not make them a recent addition to the 12's. I joined here recently because another board died. But like probably many here I can go back to the original days in '76 when we resided in the AFC. Pre Hawks I was a Chiefs fan because they were the nemesis of the old Raiders. who was my Father's team, so I had to hate them Raiders. This translated very nicely when the Hawks came into existence in the AFC West.

I spent many days in the Kingdome watching games. I still have yet to make it to the CLink, my bad. I will have to change that someday ; )

Anyway we should embrace all the attention, it is a good thing.

Maybe since I am an old Ballard Boy we should have called the Hawks the "Lutefisks"
This funny to me because Pre Hawks I was a Raider fan,thats what you saw on tv here before 76 .When the Hawks started in the NFC....

el capitan

Reaction score
A London Hawk":3jfz0ywo said:
http://blog.seahawks.com/2012/06/17/how-the-seahawks-got-their-name/

There's a long and amusing (partial) list of names that were suggested. Ospreys isn't on it but I can't find anything definitive on whether it was ever suggested.

How in the heck did Salty Dogs not win?

kjreid

Reaction score
The phrase "old-timer" for sports only means that you have had to sit through really crappy seasons to catcha glimpse of great seasons. I still remember 83 and 84, when we went to the AFC championship game and then had a 12-4 record, the kingdome was alive and loud and crazy. It was awesome to be a seahawk fan back then. then again in 88 when we won our first ever division title (I still have the division title banner) and the place was crazy (back then an "old-timer" was one who sat through those first 10 years with only 4 non-losing seasons). Then came the 90's, the worst football ever for a decade but I had a blast at every home game, my grandma worked at the swedish club and on game day I would go down there for a buffet breakfast, catch the bus to the kingdome, watch the game and head back to the Swedish club. Fast forward to 2004 until now and it has been nothing but great football and great fans. Personally, I would rather not be considered an "old timer" and only remember the great seasons that were interdispersed among very bad ones.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
People that joined on April 30, 2009 are some of the biggest 'Hawk fans I know. Probably some of the best on this board, really. Top notch.

hawker84

Reaction score
The Outfield":7b95uwyc said:
TalontedNoseRider":7b95uwyc said:
I cringe every time I see someone that's joined in 2013.....I know I'm not alone.

Why? Some of us have been long time fans and simply joined the forums when things started to get really fun.

What? didn't you know those of us who's only joined in the last couple years have only been Hawk fans since we joined? this is common knowledge...surprised you weren't aware of that.

chris98251

Reaction score
TriCHawk":wbedepp9 said:
People that joined on April 30, 2009 are some of the biggest 'Hawk fans I know. Probably some of the best on this board, really. Top notch.

That might be true, they are also going to be the ones donateing to the Old Timers retirement fun here shortly so we can sit at home and watch the games and have our tailgating paid for, and don't forget the limosine services either :)

Glad they are the best of the rest and such a giving group :)

ceej22

Reaction score
TalontedNoseRider":2yqcca6i said:
I cringe every time I see someone that's joined in 2013.....I know I'm not alone.

Why it's not as if all the 12's know about this site. I've been a fan for life and had know idea this site existed until last year. And even then I don't post an awful lot. Does that make me less of a fan?

grizbob

Reaction score
ceej22":23wgh12l said:
TalontedNoseRider":23wgh12l said:

Why it's not as if all the 12's know about this site. I've been a fan for life and had know idea this site existed until last year. And even then I don't post an awful lot. Does that make me less of a fan?

It just means you're slow ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.