One Huge Rule Change Needed in the NFL

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Pass interference has the ability to be a game changing call; not implying that holding or other penalties are immune to the same label, but given the potential change that occurs when PI is called - it must be booth reviewed just like a scoring play always is. There is just no way that calls like the ones on Browner and Sherman should have ever been called, nor was the OPI on Tate warranted.

If the NFL wants to rebuild some legitimacy in their officiating, they need to start with the penalty that leads to the biggest gain (or loss) and that is PI. Booth review ALL PI calls.

EDIT: And ensure that they are reviewed based on the merits of what PI is per the rulebook. I.e. the pass much be considered catch-able, the offensive player must be doing something other than making a play ON THE BALL, and the defensive player cannot be held accountable for someone falling down on the ground on their own.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The NFL is stuck to a certain extent with the officials, too. Remember why we had scab refs last year? The NFL wanted to make officiating a full-time gig where the guys trained during the off-season, and stuff. The officials union said no.

The NFL won fairly well with the NFLPA, but the officials union should get on its hands and knees and take care of business for the Seahawks because the timing of the Fail Mary game is probably the only reason they were able to "win" their little battle with the NFL.

THE TABS

Reaction score
Reviewing penalties would really be opening up Pandora's box. I don't want booth review delays over checking on someone lining up in the neutral zone or not.

However, a rule change that MUST happen is that on a 2-point conversion, the NFL adopt the college rule of the defense can run it back for two points of their own. On the first conversion attempt, Walter Thurmond might have been able to take that one to the house.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
For a while I've felt that PI should be a spot foul up to 15 yards, or at most split the difference. It's too many yards that mean too much when the receiver might not even make the catch.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I want computers to do all the officiating. Flood the stadiums with like 120 cameras showing all angles and lock 50 genius software developers in a room for 3 years to write software that can do it.

Take the officials out of officiating. I'd love to know every call that gets made is the correct one; or at least is unbiased.

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
THE TABS":2sv9vsyq said:
Reviewing penalties would really be opening up Pandora's box. I don't want booth review delays over checking on someone lining up in the neutral zone or not.

However, a rule change that MUST happen is that on a 2-point conversion, the NFL adopt the college rule of the defense can run it back for two points of their own. On the first conversion attempt, Walter Thurmond might have been able to take that one to the house.

I said review PI due to its potential to be the largest yard gaining (or losing) penalty in the game. If you are going to have a spot foul like PI, you need to ensure that EVERY call is correct. It cannot be a call made willy-nilly. The others can remain in their current state. PI is too powerful of a call to make without review.

C-Dub

Reaction score
I just want penalties to be confirmed from someone upstairs. The on-the-field ref shouldn't have to go to the review booth. That's inefficient.

Have someone upstairs quickly take a look at the penalty and confirm it. Most would take 5-10 seconds of looking at the play. It takes longer than that for the refs to group up and make the call....often times incorrectly, so you wouldn't even see a change in the flow of the game typically.

PIs and illegal hits are being called far too much this year.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
when offenses are depending on PI's to change/win games for them. It's time to call off the spot of the fouls.

I'd say it ought to be 10 yards no automatic first. They ought to win it on their own merit.

when every catch/drop/overthrow in the NFL is followed by complaining for a flag, it's overpowered to a ridiculous degree.

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Lady Talon":3cld0bvx said:
when offenses are depending on PI's to change/win games for them. It's time to call off the spot of the fouls.

I'd say it ought to be 10 yards no automatic first. They ought to win it on their own merit.

when every catch/drop/overthrow in the NFL is followed by complaining for a flag, it's overpowered to a ridiculous degree.

It is not even the spot foul nature of it that I am upset about. It is the fact that the calls are never consistent, cannot be challenged, and give refs in the game too much capability to determine the outcome of the game (or a change in momentum) on a whim. The refs are not accountable at all, and can do so without any penalty or fear at all. If that is the case, review them, and ensure they are correct - or at the very least - allow coaches to challenge PI calls. You just cannot have a spot of the play foul like that and allow it to run amok.

It makes the game look like a fixed joke. If I knew where to petition for this, I would.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":28f1h7k1 said:
For a while I've felt that PI should be a spot foul up to 15 yards, or at most split the difference. It's too many yards that mean too much when the receiver might not even make the catch.
Yea as much as I like the PI call when were on offense its completely different if its on us, and i've always though spot fouls were a bit of a cheap way of scoring.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Lady Talon":u18brjkl said:

.....and Mr. Rice is the "leading actor"!

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":8uftres1 said:

THIS. I've been thinking that for years. No more cheap yards. 15 yard penalty from the previous line of scrimmage at most. Keep the zebras a little more honest and limit the damage they can inflict on the game for either team.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
It wouldn't even take that long to do a quick once over for each close call. Heck the TV announcers rewind the questionable call like 5 times with a full narrative each time before they snap the ball again. They call PI on tate, some upstairs takes a quick peek from a different camera angle then the refs had....boom no pi, move ball back, ready set hike. And also how many times is PI called a game? Around 5 times? It'd take just as long calling them and conferring as it would to take a look upstairs. Its a valid point. And why the heck do they even "confer" amongst themselves? The way it was explained to me is that each ref has their own guys to watch... so none of them "theoretically" are closely watching the same thing.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ilk518f said:
I want computers to do all the officiating. Flood the stadiums with like 120 cameras showing all angles and lock 50 genius software developers in a room for 3 years to write software that can do it.

Take the officials out of officiating. I'd love to know every call that gets made is the correct one; or at least is unbiased.
yep. we have the technology to install the sensors into the uniforms and around the field and on the football. Computers can then be programmed to referee the entire game with humans to review any play so that the software doesn't foul up.

To top it off, it's cheap technology too.

Kryten

Reaction score
One rule I think should change is the penalty for personal foul. I think it should be a 5 yard minimum no matter what. If it results in a score, then so be it.
The way it is now, a player could (and sometimes does) pull down a ball carrier by the facemask (or horse-collar) at the 2 and it's a 1 yard penalty.

As for penalties being reviewed, I don't think it would help us. If anything, it would give the refs even MORE leeway to screw us over.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":2dguao5w said:
Pass interference has the ability to be a game changing call; not implying that holding or other penalties are immune to the same label, but given the potential change that occurs when PI is called - it must be booth reviewed just like a scoring play always is. There is just no way that calls like the ones on Browner and Sherman should have ever been called, nor was the OPI on Tate warranted.

If the NFL wants to rebuild some legitimacy in their officiating, they need to start with the penalty that leads to the biggest gain (or loss) and that is PI. Booth review ALL PI calls.

EDIT: And ensure that they are reviewed based on the merits of what PI is per the rulebook. I.e. the pass much be considered catch-able, the offensive player must be doing something other than making a play ON THE BALL, and the defensive player cannot be held accountable for someone falling down on the ground on their own.

Fantastic idea. It's the best solution.

A 15-yard penalty will lead to any deep ball with any modicum of threat being PI. Defenders will just take the 15-yard penalty.

This really is the only solution. Review PI and keep it as a spot penalty.

minormillikin

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2i18atmr said:
RolandDeschain":2i18atmr said:

yep. we have the technology to install the sensors into the uniforms and around the field and on the football. Computers can then be programmed to referee the entire game with humans to review any play so that the software doesn't foul up.

Every time they say "the yellow line isn't official," I think, "yeah, it's better than official." As if the tabs on the sideline and the volunteer (fans) chain gang is better than a perfectly straight line.

toadie_uk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1cf6y9ap said:
Lady Talon":1cf6y9ap said:

.....and Mr. Rice is the "leading actor"!

This would mean that, as a DB, if you knew you were about to get beaten over the top for more than 15 yards you'd just tackle the player mid-run and take the hit on the penalty. I'm fine with it how it is, I just think the refs need training better

Lady Talon

Reaction score
toadie_uk":19xp97lq said:
This would mean that, as a DB, if you knew you were about to get beaten over the top for more than 15 yards you'd just tackle the player mid-run and take the hit on the penalty. I'm fine with it how it is, I just think the refs need training better

As opposed to eating a nonreviewable unchallengeable uncatchable terrible PI call for 60 yards? Let them drive the field on their own merit.

Defensive players regularly take hits from the offense that would cost them several thousand dollars in fines if they returned the favor.

Why should they live in a constant pressure cooker of unpunished injury and free "judgement call" 80 yard gains that suddenly enrage a fan base against them while the NFL fines them wholesale?

Browncoat

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2ugewtby said:
RolandDeschain":2ugewtby said:

I saw a show recently about this guy who invented laser-powered down markers (no more chains). He's been going back and forth with the NFL for years on getting it implemented. This is pretty impressive stuff. Lasers that go across the entire width of the field, can be seen on tv, etc...this inventor has put a lot into these things, but still no dice from the NFL.

I think computer-reffed games would be a very, very BAD idea. Those guys get away with A LOT out there. If officiating were infallible, there would certainly be a penalty called on practically every single play.

Latest posts