One thing I will miss about Bevell

GeekHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3h5wuo95 said:
KiwiHawk":3h5wuo95 said:
What I will miss the most is everyone blaming Bevell when Wilson went off-script and it ended poorly, and crediting Wilson when he went off-script and it went well.

Fact of the matter is we have a QB who goes off-script all the time. It's his thing. His "magic". However, the other side of that fact is that he's a coach killer because he goes off-script.

Yep.

Blinders. Pretty much 0% of the on-script passing game ever worked due to a combination of poor design and poor o-line. That's why RW had to go off-script. If not for that we would have had like 40 yards of offense per game.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":34z9wt1o said:
What I will miss the most is everyone blaming Bevell when Wilson went off-script and it ended poorly, and crediting Wilson when he went off-script and it went well.

Fact of the matter is we have a QB who goes off-script all the time. It's his thing. His "magic". However, the other side of that fact is that he's a coach killer because he goes off-script.
This recognition is the key to the Seahawks success. Glenn Sather didn't force Gretzky at al to 2 periods of scripted plays, and the fans were rewarded with 5 Stanley Cups. Flutie's coach in the CFL gave him tons of leeway in 96-97 CFL and was rewarded with back to back championships.
Pete and the new OC need to recognize this "once in a generation" trait in Russell Wilson. If they do, multiple Super Bowls will follow.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1zy6rwlh said:
KiwiHawk":1zy6rwlh said:

Yep.
While this definitely happens, the need for blame would be reduced if we regularly had offensive formations with route trees that gave Russell an easy dump-off option.

Latest posts