One thing we can perhaps all agree on?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Okay obviously a lot of folks are going to be split on whether or not the RW trade and the BW release is a good idea or not, whether or not RW really wanted out since 2 seasons ago, etc. etc.

But can we at least all agree that things said in press conferences are a bunch of baloney/bologna for us fans to sit and pretend like nothing is changing or will change and behind the scenes is a completely different story.

PC not to long ago claiming he doesn't think the team needs a rebuild - The trade and release of BW says otherwise
JS claiming they were NOT shopping RW - Trade says otherwise
RW claiming he wants to remain in Seattle - Trade also says otherwise because he had to approve it perhaps even ask for it

People were pretty up in arms up to this point were trashing rumors and speculation as garbage and pointing to press conference statements as official, so maybe we all should agree at this point although rumors and speculation aren't fact...neither are press conference statements either.

Either way Go Hawks for 2024/2025!

Rat

Reaction score
Yep, a rumor isnt automatically false just because you dont like it.

Jville

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2ulze2kr said:
Okay obviously a lot of folks are going to be split on whether or not the RW trade and the BW release is a good idea or not, whether or not RW really wanted out since 2 seasons ago, etc. etc.

But can we at least all agree that things said in press conferences are a bunch of baloney/bologna for us fans to sit and pretend like nothing is changing or will change and behind the scenes is a completely different story.

PC not to long ago claiming he doesn't think the team needs a rebuild - The trade and release of BW says otherwise
RW claiming he wants to remain in Seattle - Trade also says otherwise because he had to approve it perhaps even ask for it

People were pretty up in arms up to this point were trashing rumors and speculation as garbage and pointing to press conference statements as official, so maybe we all should agree at this point although rumors and speculation aren't fact...neither are press conference statements either.

That was then. This is now.
Relationships and opportunities change over time.

hoxrox

Reaction score
ZagHawk":34yj8737 said:

Though they were not actively "shopping" Russ, or had "no intention" of trading him, they would be negligent in their duties if they did not listen to all the offers on the table.

Had they said they "intended" to trade him, and the trade fell through, it would put the team in the rather awkward position.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
The bad thing about politically correct people, you can't trust anything they say.

When you think about the contrast between the Holmgren era and the PC era you realize the feelings, as fans, that we harbor has become more governmental like. I used to be able to say without any doubt that I love my Seahawks, I can't say that these days.

I was proud of their character, they represented what used to be so good about the NW. Good people don't pretend to care, they really do and they understand the difference.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
sprhawk73":3sm0dwtp said:
The bad thing about politically correct people, you can't trust anything they say.

When you think about the contrast between the Holmgren era and the PC era you realize the feelings, as fans, that we harbor has become more governmental like. I used to be able to say without any doubt that I love my Seahawks, I can't say that these days.

I was proud of their character, they represented what used to be so good about the NW. Good people don't pretend to care, they really do and they understand the difference.
You can still love the idea of Seahawks football, at the same time, NOT love any of the Seahawks front office/player personnel.

At the end of the day, the Seattle Seahawks are just like any other NFL franchise, it’s a business.

OP
OP
Z

ZagHawk

Reaction score
hoxrox":ouhnukf3 said:
ZagHawk":ouhnukf3 said:

Though they were not actively "shopping" Russ, or had "no intention" of trading him, they would be negligent in their duties if they did not listen to all the offers on the table.

Had they said they "intended" to trade him, and the trade fell through, it would put the team in the rather awkward position.

Yes the statements were never "RW is not being traded or is not for trade". That being said they knew what they were saying when they said it, something that they could spin later if needed "we never said we wouldn't listen to offers". But the way they made their statements was of course to create comforts with the fanbase and of course not cause issues in case trades did fall through. The point still remains that press conference type statements from anyone in the FO and even very professional players has been and will remain a bunch of garbage.

OP
OP
Z

ZagHawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3cyokkah said:
sprhawk73":3cyokkah said:

You can still love the idea of Seahawks football, at the same time, NOT love any of the Seahawks front office/player personnel.

At the end of the day, the Seattle Seahawks are just like any other NFL franchise, it’s a business.

:ditto:

justafan

Reaction score
Im glad Pete didn't come out and say "I'm sick of this turd I can't wait to dump him". Or Russ to come out pulling an AR. They handled it mostly in house, except the leaks. It doesnt matter to me who leaked. I think they handled their business as well as can be expected.

They arent going to tell us who they are desperate to draft or sign in FA. Thats how the game is played. Cards close to the vest.

I will always look at the rumors,press conferences and speculation as just that. Nothing is fact until it happens.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Maybe it would help some of you to view this like the game that it is. You wouldn't be upset if you found out that your poker opponent was bluffing and the media is a tool used by NFL teams and players in the exact same manner to try to get some sort of advantage or minimize a disadvantage.

You don't really want the opposing teams to know the full details of players who are limited by injury, despite how you may grumble when getting a wishy washy response from a coaching staff.

You don't really want the team to open publish their draft board prior to the draft in the name of honesty. If the GM is tempted to say something misleading about their targets that is OK.

Does it help the team if the GM comes out and says that he doesn't think Russ is worth $50m/year? That can only hurt potential trade value so as a Seahawks fan I would think you want him to avoid saying that at all costs.

Does it help the team if Russ says he thinks he can win more games with another team that's been stockpiling draft talent for five years? If a trade doesn't happen now there's a bunch of unnecessary drama within the team that felt he was trying to ditch them for greener pastures.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":16ipmg1c said:
Maybe it would help some of you to view this like the game that it is. You wouldn't be upset if you found out that your poker opponent was bluffing and the media is a tool used by NFL teams and players in the exact same manner to try to get some sort of advantage or minimize a disadvantage.

You don't really want the opposing teams to know the full details of players who are limited by injury, despite how you may grumble when getting a wishy washy response from a coaching staff.

You don't really want the team to open publish their draft board prior to the draft in the name of honesty. If the GM is tempted to say something misleading about their targets that is OK.

Does it help the team if the GM comes out and says that he doesn't think Russ is worth $50m/year? That can only hurt potential trade value so as a Seahawks fan I would think you want him to avoid saying that at all costs.

Does it help the team if Russ says he thinks he can win more games with another team that's been stockpiling draft talent for five years? If a trade doesn't happen now there's a bunch of unnecessary drama within the team that felt he was trying to ditch them for greener pastures.

What you are saying is likely legitimate, and you've worded it all rather convincingly; it also suggests that the FO and Russ worked together on this trade to make it happen, both to protect the Hawks' and Russ's futures. Russ wanted a trade, the FO might have encouraged it by word or behavior, and both could come out winners. There don't have to be losers in a trade, after all. Most of our society is based on trades acceptable to both sides. In this case, the product traded wins too.

Those on either extreme here blaming the FO or Russ, without seeing their cooperation in making the trade with a rather small amount of resulting drama, are too narrowly focused on and typing from their own emotional biases.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think we have to be careful to not take 'business ', personally. Nothing the Seahawks or Russel did was dishonest. They conducted themselves in the way one would expect when planning and startegizing the growth of a franchise / player. It would have been silly for Russ to say ' I'm done here, tired of it, want to be somewhere else now regardless of what happens', even though if you read between the lines and his body labguage last year, thats exactly what he was saying. It would have been equally silly for the franchise to say they were definitely shopping their key player. Whether for reasons of maximizing leverage or for team moral, that's how business is done.

If the Hawks saw the writing on the wall that Russ had limitations that they felt were insurmountable and were considering a plan B that would move him or bring in competition years ago, that's not dishonesty, that's smart business.

The language was there to read and see on the part of the team and Wilson. If someone were to ask Russel at the start of camp this coming year, whether he's happy to be in Denver, he'd use definitive language, positive language and not caveat his responses with 'this is where I want to be right now... or ... right now I'm focused on this moment'. Those qualified responses weren't dishonest, they were an attempt to NOT be dishonest.

Same with the team. Having 'no intention' of moving Russell was exactly the right thing to say and 100 percent accurate. They didn't actively initiate the notion of the trade, but came to that point because of the relationship with Russ and the job they have to do in keeping this franchise competitive with the players who are happy to be here.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
They're just telling us what we want to hear.

As a great man once barked, "You can't handle the truth!"

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
justafan":3oalf2gr said:
Im glad Pete didn't come out and say "I'm sick of this turd I can't wait to dump him". Or Russ to come out pulling an AR. They handled it mostly in house, except the leaks. It doesnt matter to me who leaked. I think they handled their business as well as can be expected.

They arent going to tell us who they are desperate to draft or sign in FA. Thats how the game is played. Cards close to the vest.

I will always look at the rumors,press conferences and speculation as just that. Nothing is fact until it happens.

Agreed they handled it the best way they could keep it quiet and in house. The fact that the media is unhappy because they didn't know is a huge plus in my opinion.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
ZagHawk":2ai9f6hm said:

To be fair, they said they were not shopping Russ, but that they WERE LISTENING to all offers. Apparently the Denver offer was one they couldn't refuse. Russ didn't seem reluctant to leave, judging by the speed with which he signed the release and passed his physical. News from the Broncos states they had been in contact with Seattle FO for at least two weeks prior to Seattle caving.

Seymour

Reaction score
Of course! What do you expect him / them to say?

"I'm asking to get traded because of Pete ball and the worst protection in the league over the last 10 years.....Go Hawks!".

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":xssg9tma said:
Of course! What do you expect him / them to say?

"I'm asking to get traded because of Pete ball and the worst protection in the league over the last 10 years.....Go Hawks!".

Or the linemen shouting: "We gave the AH 2.4 seconds, that's more than Big Ben, Brady, Rodgers had, yet, the AH made us look incompetent by holding on to the damn ball".

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Russell was one of the the highest paid QB for the last 6 years, pampered by the media, coaching staff, and fans. Do you really think all the #GoHawks talk was real? Shit, DK's latest goodbye to Russ and Bobby showed more love than Russell's six word tweet to Seattle that he ended with an advertising signature "#3" brand name.

This is a business. Like the girl who calls you a good friend, they don't really care about you.

toffee

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1ly2eyti said:
Russell was one of the the highest paid QB for the last 6 years, pampered by the media, coaching staff, and fans. Do you really think all the #GoHawks talk was real? $h!t, DK's latest goodbye to Russ and Bobby showed more love than Russell's six word tweet to Seattle that he ended with an advertising signature "#3" brand name.

This is a business. Like the girl who calls you a good friend, they don't really care about you.

With logical deduction, based on what we read, heard, witness, Russell Wilson was difficult to work with and not well loved in locker room. If one read DK's good bye, he sounded like a genuine person with true emotions.