Our defense is just simply NOT very good....

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
At 22nd in yards allowed and 29th in points allowed, is there really any argument in favor of our defense?

Yes at times it has showed promise, but this is NOT a playoff caliber defense and I don't think there is any rational argument that we are a "playoff ready defense".

I love the Seahawks and will continue to hope and root for our team, but the more I think about it, this D is just lackluster. Yes it flashes brilliance now and then, but we are a LONG way from being "elite" with a bottom ranked defense. :pukeface:

:34853_doh:

That said, I think, with the right moves in the off season, regarless of this season's outcome, we are not far from building something, even with mostly the pieces we have now, but this year, our D just isn't scaring anyone (and why should it?)

:49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall:

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I will throw in, that our offense has struggled, and we have injuries, but when firing on all cylinders, our offense IS good, sometimes even "elite good", just not good enough to win games by itself, without more production on defense.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think your D just needs a pass rush and I'm not sure if its personnel or coaching at this point.

The O needs a short passing game to augment the run game and deep shots. I thought we were getting that early in the season but against the Rams it seemed to revert to the old 3 deep routes only.

Whereas the Rams schemes looked clinically precise and designed to destroy our zone schemes. Really nice work by McVey and Goff. Looks like their SB hangover is over.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And the Pass rush was pretty solid from the Niners game thru the Vikes game. A lot better than we had been seeing.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I think the best measurable would be to throw out the Niner game and the Rams game, then look to see where you're at. Both those games were anomalies in this season (so far).
I agree we have the pieces, but for some reason it just has not produced on a consistent basis. Looking into schematics would seem a likely place to find a cure.
I love Carroll, but just because something has always worked in the past does not mean it will work forever. Other coaches study it, MAKE ADJUSTMENTS, and figure out how it can be beaten. There is no same in that. C'mon coach, do your magic.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I would change your statement to "our defense is simply not very deep."

We saw earlier in the year when guys like Thompson, King, Hill, Blair, Jackson, Green etc had to play major snaps, and Reed gone, and now a bunch of the starters banged up or out?

Just not effective.

We saw in the SF and Philly game how good the defense can be with Diggs and everyone on the D-line rolling. Unfortunately that's the only two games everyone's been healthy. Now we're back to counting on these backups to play well, and it's not happening.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Our defense has improved with a Healthy Jefferson, Reed back, and the addition of Diggs. You can't really use full season stats on a defense which isn't really the same defense we started with.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Just curious, is there any rating for the defense since we addressed the hole at safety and fixed our approach a bit?

We WERE terrible. Now I think we are slightly above average though below average in pass defense.

It feels like awful defense before Diggs skewed it to the #29 referenced. We are not great, but I think we are better than the aggregate #s.

kidhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1bwdywbt said:
Just curious, is there any rating for the defense since we addressed the hole at safety and fixed our approach a bit?

We WERE terrible. Now I think we are slightly above average though below average in pass defense.

It feels like awful defense before Diggs skewed it to the #29 referenced. We are not great, but I think we are better than the aggregate #s.

I don't have the stats, but my feeling on the defense is that we are an average defense that is REALLY good at getting turnovers which helps alleviate some of the mistakes they make.

We are definitely improved since Reed came back from suspension and Jefferson came back from his few weeks missed due to injury and the addition of Diggs. I still would only put them as middle of the pack. I also agree with what was said above about depth. We aren't very deep, and that can lead to a tired defense which can lead to issues like we saw with the one TD drive the Rams had in the second half. The offense needs to be able to sustain drives and win or at least keep the time of possession close to keep us from either relying on weak depth or tiring out our starters.

kf3339

Reaction score
kidhawk":3lzmb7in said:
Our defense has improved with a Healthy Jefferson, Reed back, and the addition of Diggs. You can't really use full season stats on a defense which isn't really the same defense we started with.

^This.

I think we are much better than the stats season to date show. We have had a few anomaly games which every team has at this point in the season. The Saints were blown out a few weeks ago, with Brees. Does that make them a poor team? No, just that on any given day another team can beat you. That is especially true with division games.

We have made improvement thruout this season from a player standpoint. Our secondary is looking far better with Diggs as the FS. Our corners are playing very well, and McDougald is better than average at the SS spot. If anything we may need some help with our experienced depth, but that will come in time.

Our LB's are much better than average, but showing a little bit of age. Still far better than most LB groups in the league. Our D-Line has been the issue, but we knew that going into the season. Our run D is very good, but we all know the pass rush still needs work. Jefferson had to play out of position on Sunday as he is better suited for a rotation DT spot for interior pressure. Ansah is just not very dependable and can only hope he will be able to help by the playoffs. Clowney needs a second player to really get attention and take pressure off him to be more effective. It doesn't help that he is playing hurt. Reed has played well, but not as dominant that I hoped for coming back from suspension.

I think we have the makings of a very strong defense, but doubt it will happen this season. Next season could be a very different matter with the right changes this off-season.

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
kf3339":2ufbnoyu said:
kidhawk":2ufbnoyu said:

^This.

I think we are much better than the stats season to date show. We have had a few anomaly games which every team has at this point in the season. The Saints were blown out a few weeks ago, with Brees. Does that make them a poor team? No, just that on any given day another team can beat you. That is especially true with division games.

We have made improvement thruout this season from a player standpoint. Our secondary is looking far better with Diggs as the FS. Our corners are playing very well, and McDougald is better than average at the SS spot. If anything we may need some help with our experienced depth, but that will come in time.

Our LB's are much better than average, but showing a little bit of age. Still far better than most LB groups in the league. Our D-Line has been the issue, but we knew that going into the season. Our run D is very good, but we all know the pass rush still needs work. Jefferson had to play out of position on Sunday as he is better suited for a rotation DT spot for interior pressure. Ansah is just not very dependable and can only hope he will be able to help by the playoffs. Clowney needs a second player to really get attention and take pressure off him to be more effective. It doesn't help that he is playing hurt. Reed has played well, but not as dominant that I hoped for coming back from suspension.

I think we have the makings of a very strong defense, but doubt it will happen this season. Next season could be a very different matter with the right changes this off-season.

The bolded was kinda my point.....

Elemas

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":20ayftm8 said:
SoulfishHawk":20ayftm8 said:

Small sample size.

Lol!

We could stand to have more pass rush ofc.

I thought our DBs were picking it up but, they were exposed in this last game. Granted, McVay did a great job (well, him and his OC) in exposing the weaknesses. That coupled with an "oops" or two in coverage (Shaq...wtheck)...

I'd love to see more (any) nickel as base. Gotta be a reason PC doesn't go there more often.

But yah...10-3.

xray

Reaction score
The defense might just be barely good enough to get the Hawks to post season ; but not deep into the post season . I'm actually seeing the offense digressing lately . That concerns me more than the defense right now .