Our running game

Tempest_Crow

Reaction score
is it becoming ineffective? or is it that our opponents are keying on it, and reducing our production and our passing is becoming more prolific?

Granted I am using the stats of my espn app on my phone that's tracking the game. It has total rushing at 150 yds but that's from 6 different rushers. ML was 17/69 avg 4.1/carry. Is this by design? or is the idea to keep them guessing on where it could be coming from?

Game 3, and still working and improving yada yada. Understood. But RIGHT now I don't see a very effective or efficient offense.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I'd love to see the stats from when we run with a TE & FB and when we go out of single back. I think there's a difference, and spreading out the D to give Lynch bigger lanes is more effective.

Basis4day

Reaction score
It's designed to beat up the opponent in the first half, clearing the lanes in the second. We're fine.

Cartire

Reaction score
This is where I miss Mike Sando so much. He would have all those stats you request Absolut

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I'd love to see kearly do a breakdown of how many times our RBs are met in the backfield by a defender. My casual observation says it's about half the time.

The Radish

Reaction score
Going to need our big boy shoes on next week. Houston looked really good against the run from the part of the game I saw.

:les:

Hawks46

Reaction score
Not sure that's going to be relevant Radish.

Ray Rice was out that game and Baltimore doesn't do that well running that ball unless they spread it out.

I read somewhere last week that we were more effective out of a 1 back set than with a FB. Maybe we should see 3 WR's and a single back the first half, and when we wear down the opponent, come out in the 2nd half with a power run game, completely different formations, and finish them off.

hawk45

Reaction score
SeatownJay":16r109b8 said:
I'd love to see kearly do a breakdown of how many times our RBs are met in the backfield by a defender. My casual observation says it's about half the time.

yeah that sounds about right. Cable needs to do something here to earn the old paycheck. Lynch makes his line look good, but any other RB back there would get toasted.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Honest, Houston doesn't scare me they look like a shell of themselves from years past. It's a fair battle anyones game, I'm seeing the line at -3 for Seattle, just a guess.

OP
OP
Tempest_Crow

Tempest_Crow

Reaction score
Basis4day":1yl0hdov said:
It's designed to beat up the opponent in the first half, clearing the lanes in the second. We're fine.

67 plays ,with 36 being (57%) running plays. Now I don't know if the 2 plays listed under Wilsons name for 14 yards were designed or not and 2 from Tate either an end around or reverse for 29 are a true rushing plays in my mind as I think of a rushing game either between the tackles or just off tackle.

But designing a rushing attack on the "hopes" of a D being gassed by the second half is a little desperate I think, and not how it looked at the middle of or end of last season. I hope PC is not designing as such. And B4Day I am not saying your incorrect nor belittling your opinion, because sometimes it can be just that simple.

Did ML have a slow start last year? Do we have too many RBs and not allowing one or the other to get into a rhythm? Maybe I am having a hard time adjusting to having a good team and expecting perfection too much. What a dilemma to have, eh?

formido

Reaction score
This is approximately what the run game looked like last year until the read option took off. Teams have adjusted to the read option, so we aren't going to run for >5 YPC until we find some new strength to exploit. I think Wilson is probably not keeping as often, so defenses don't need to stay honest anymore. In the SF game we saw numerous wide open fields that Wilson didn't keep into.

Getting Harvin back will give us a tool to find a new advantage. It sucks we don't have him now.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Nothing's wrong with the run game. Lynch was taken out early and would have had over 100 yards easily. The game was in hand and they took him out for rest. I'm sure they brought in Bailey and Bowie up front as well. All considered, the run game is fine. I wish the defense wouldn't have given up so many points but oh well they can't hold everyone under 7. Good game from all areas today.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I'm wondering if not having Robinson, hasn't had a little something to do with ML's production, I would hope not ,as that would expose a talent weakness.
I do believe Wilson would have even better stats if the Run Game were clicking a little better (more options?), but the O-Line isn't giving him a bunch of protection, and his escape field and time to get some better reads, seems to have been whittled down some.
He also had a couple of hurried bad passes today, and one those led to an interception.
I for sure don't want to sound like a nit picker, but a home game against an inferior opponent should have been a good time to tune up, and correct some of those misfires.

OP
OP
Tempest_Crow

Tempest_Crow

Reaction score
scutterhawk":16dd9sk7 said:
I'm wondering if not having Robinson, hasn't had a little something to do with ML's production, I would hope not ,as that would expose a talent weakness.
I do believe Wilson would have even better stats if the Run Game were clicking a little better (more options?), but the O-Line isn't giving him a bunch of protection, and his escape field and time to get some better reads, seems to have been whittled down some.
He also had a couple of hurried bad passes today, and one those led to an interception.
I for sure don't want to sound like a nit picker, but a home game against an inferior opponent should have been a good time to tune up, and correct some of those misfires.

:13:

Blitzer88

Reaction score
The run game has been decent so far but it could be a lot better. The oline needs to pick it up and losing okung doesn't help.

HawkWow

Reaction score
We are definitely not where we want to be on the line, but few teams are. Pete and Bevell are working on this now by allowing RW to pass on (typically) non-passing downs. That can only assist the run game until we can get better.

This goes without saying, but we are seeing a definite trend here with this team. When one unit isn't playing stellar, lights out football, another unit is. I wasn't overly impressed with our secondary today, but the D line applied pressure and our offense supplied points. Thus making the opponents strategy much more predictable. I love this team. You do too.

Latest posts