Our WR core next year could be one of the league's best

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Bob_the_Destroyer":2jqhap5i said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2jqhap5i said:
Baldwin has always been the best receiver since Tate left.

That's true. The statement said Richardson was "emerging" as the best receiver. Of course with Baldwin's improvement this season and Richardson's injuries, Baldwin has put quite a bit of space between him and Richardson again.
I never saw how Richardson was exactly "emerging?" He never beat press coverage and was able to get open from one on one matchups. And he was always lined up against the opposing teams nickel corner.

Richardson had maybe 2 memorable catches that come to mind. Go route on might have been Carolina I think last year, same play he got hurt. And a quick slant.

That's pretty much all I remember from him. Hardly, making a case as "emerging."

I think he's gone. Lockett is too good not to play. Lockett will emerge as the best receiver next year. You heard it from me first.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":3pes1rkk said:
Hawk-Lock":3pes1rkk said:
Jury is still out on Kearse. He played awesome today and last week, but lets not forget that we threw the ball on almost every play of the second half against fairly soft coverage.

To be fair, Carolina played a lot of man coverage today even with a big lead, and Seattle's WRs definitely filled a highlight reel with several circus catches to beat good coverage for big plays and TDs.

I just wish we would use the offense we went with in the second half of the season as the norm, and not only for contingencies. Pete was FORCED into using the spread attack because of piss-poor pass pro. Then we reach the playoffs and he suddenly catches amnesia, and decides to go back to run, run, PA in the first half. I fear he will continually opt for his core, ultra-conservative philosophy despite how well Russell functions in the spread attack. It's a typical defensive-minded coach's way of thinking. I pray for an all-world D next season, coz Pete won't change.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1r56eieg said:
I still need to see it for a full season. Up until the last quarter of the season, the talk was that we had a bottom 5 receiving core. I don't want to overreact to a small sample.

Baldwin sure does look like he's taken his game to the next level.

Jury is still out on Kearse. He played awesome today and last week, but lets not forget that we threw the ball on almost every play of the second half against fairly soft coverage.

I will not be depending on Richardson

Lockette is a young stud, lets see how he does in his sophomore campaign.

I wouldn't go as far as saying one of the league's best because at the end of the day, we are still going to be a run-first offense. But if we can have a middle of the pack receiving core, I'm good with that.

Small sample?, you do realize that the Seahawks Offense was predicated on the Run First mentality, so when Lynch went out with a sports Hernia, then Graham, Willson and then Thomas Rawls, the Seahawks Offense turned it's attention to being a more passing oriented bunch out of necessity, and sent the "bottom 5" notion down the shitter.
That's EXACTLY what Tom Cable was talking about when he said that Marshawn was going to have to re-adapt when he returned.
Not a hell of a lot of running in the 1st half of todays game because it became ineffective, and because we fell behind by a bunch in the first half, we had to go with the passing game where Kearse, Baldwin & Lockett proved that they are the REAL deal.
I believe Pete is going to go with what works best, and now that Wilson has shown that he can make it click with these Receivers.....I'm not buying into the "bottom 5 " crap either.
In 8 of the last 10 games, the Seahawks were amongst the most prolific in the passing category, WITH the LOLOL, "Bottom 5", or even "middle of the pack" Receivers.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
thebanjodude":2q18h0ti said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2q18h0ti said:
hieroglyphics":2q18h0ti said:
Our receivers took a massive step forward this year and couldn't be more excited for this aspect of our team for next year.

Lockett is just an absolute stud, his catch was big, big time. He's such a playmaker, he is going to excel and be at Antonio Brown-level in the next few years if he stays healthy, and I can't wait for him to be a bigger part of the offense.

Baldwin, career year, ended the year 2nd in DYAR for receivers and 1st in DVOA. He will be back with more fire next year.

Really hope we keep Kearse, he's the perfect valve for Wilson and the guy who just comes up big when we need him.

If Richardson can ever get healthy, as a 4th receiver we could still hold out hope for, but liked what I saw from Smith today.

Amazing that a year ago we were unsure about the future of the receiving core, who we would draft to be the savior, and now it looks to be one of the best in the NFL.
All Paul Richardson is good for is a go route. Anything else is a no. I like Ricardo more than Paul Richardson.

That is not true at all. It was a common opinion at the end of the 2014 season that Paul was our best receiver.

I agree, P-Rich was doing alot more than just running go-routes. He showed he was a good route runner, I'm hoping he can have a tremendous offseason and come back and be a significant factor in our passing game.

UGotHawked

Reaction score
thebanjodude":1g7ogfzl said:
TheLegendOfBoom":1g7ogfzl said:
hieroglyphics":1g7ogfzl said:
Our receivers took a massive step forward this year and couldn't be more excited for this aspect of our team for next year.

Lockett is just an absolute stud, his catch was big, big time. He's such a playmaker, he is going to excel and be at Antonio Brown-level in the next few years if he stays healthy, and I can't wait for him to be a bigger part of the offense.

Baldwin, career year, ended the year 2nd in DYAR for receivers and 1st in DVOA. He will be back with more fire next year.

Really hope we keep Kearse, he's the perfect valve for Wilson and the guy who just comes up big when we need him.

If Richardson can ever get healthy, as a 4th receiver we could still hold out hope for, but liked what I saw from Smith today.

Amazing that a year ago we were unsure about the future of the receiving core, who we would draft to be the savior, and now it looks to be one of the best in the NFL.
All Paul Richardson is good for is a go route. Anything else is a no. I like Ricardo more than Paul Richardson.

That is not true at all. It was a common opinion at the end of the 2014 season that Paul was our best receiver.

Uhhh...no!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3tb300nm said:
I agree, P-Rich was doing alot more than just running go-routes. He showed he was a good route runner, I'm hoping he can have a tremendous offseason and come back and be a significant factor in our passing game.

When will you come to the realization that the man is made of glass? It appears that someone has a very short memory!

sutz

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1n67g4w7 said:
jlwaters1":1n67g4w7 said:

When will you come to the realization that the man is made of glass? It appears that someone has a very short memory!
meh. not ready to write him off just yet.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Kearse is a bully at WR. Often when you see a corner come up in press you'll see RW look his way. He wan win with the ball in the air and has proven that repeatedly over his career. He really needs to be kept. I also have high hopes for Williams. He has that same air superiority that Kearse has and possibly even more (although Kearse is a really crafty route runner). Williams also has a real attitude problem with the ball in his hands. Smith is a tough guy himself, but I don't have a feel for how high his ceiling is. Never did. We'll see on that one He was elevated over Williams for a reason, I'm sure. Richardson is a flyweight among heavyweights. Even among skinny guys he has tiny legs. Obviously he's both explosive and has long speed along with a good catch radius (doesn't have the strength to hold the angle), but you just don't know if he can ever stay healthy for long.

And of course, you have Baldwin with his uber 6.56 quickness and route running along with Lockett and his speed and quickness, as well as natural know how.

Here's the thing: You're tempted to try to put the top 3 in order. Obviously you'd say that Doug is the #1 WR, but do you put an asterisk next to that given how much success he has out of the slot? Do you take Kearse away from the sideline even though he's our best go up and get the ball option? Lockett does both well, although not as good as either in their respective roles. I'm not suggesting that Kearse is better than Baldwin or Lockett is better than both of them. It's jut roles and fit.

chris98251

Reaction score
With our stable of guys rotating on and off the field it becomes harder for teams to defend us because of all the roles that our guys play. We have slot guys at wide out, TE's at wide out, RB at wide out and they keep each other fresh as well.

Tical21

Reaction score
What I wouldn't give to have that guy though.

olyfan63

Reaction score
YES, It WAS a common opinion on .NET last year that Paul Richardson was starting to emerge as being a credible NFL receiving threat other teams had to account for. Common doesn't mean everybody had this opinion, but a number of people on .NET were singing Paul Richardson's praises as an increasingly important part of the Seattle offense.

People were impressed with his route running on the short and intermediate routes as well as his hands, and his surprising catch radius. The discussion wasn't really about Paul being the "best" on the Seahawks as much as being a receiver who consistently got open even against teams with good corners,. People noticed Richardson getting open in games where other Seahawk receivers like Kearse were simply not getting separation thus not getting targeted by Russell.

I had no opinion on the matter myself, as the sample size was so small, and then he got hurt just as he got into position to really show what he could do. Bottom line is Richardson IS a quality NFL receiver IF his body can hold up. Tyler Lockett and Doug Baldwin, and even Jermaine Kearse, have really raised the bar this year, above the receiver play we saw last year.

sutz

Reaction score
chris98251":292gj1n4 said:
With our stable of guys rotating on and off the field it becomes harder for teams to defend us because of all the roles that our guys play. We have slot guys at wide out, TE's at wide out, RB at wide out and they keep each other fresh as well.
This is where I'm at. I really dislike the term "#1 WR" in principle. IMHO it is a Fantasy Football term and has little to no place on an NFL team. Set you wayback machine to the NFCCG against the Carolina Panthers. Smith had been tearing up the league and set records (well maybe not records, idk) for WR play in the playoffs against two separate teams coming into the Clink. We shut him down using some unconventional schemes and techniques and the whole Panther offense stalled.

I like having 3 or 4 guys who can make plays for us. I don't want 1 guy that 75% of our offense goes through. It's too easy to shut 1 guy down.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Exactly. Look at KC losing their top WR, they went into the tank.

I don't really see WR needing to be addressed. if we're going to stop being swept by the Rams, we need interior OLine and DLine help.