P-Rich: Might Have Been Talked About

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":2nuy2u97 said:
Richardson may still turn out to be special but it will be interesting to follow the careers of the talented WRs we passed on. Thus far:

Jordan Matthews: 6'3" (We passed on him when trading down with the Lions) He has been very good for the Eagles and is the big bodied red-zone threat we're missing.

Martavis Bryant: 6'4" speedster. Has been dazzling for the Steelers last few weeks with 5 TDs in last 3 games. Still raw and will drop balls, but immense potential.

Allen Robinson: 6'2" On pace for nearly 80 catches as a rookie.

Davante Adams: 6'1" has been productive in the slot for the Packers while adjusting to the WC offense.

Add to these Jarvis Landry, Donte Moncrief, and John Brown who have all flashed potential and Cody Lattimer who looked very good in preseason.

Takes a couple years to evaluate a draft, and all these guys play in different offenses, but initially I am a little worried we may have missed on a stud WR to select a complementary player like P-Rich. I wish I had more faith in the FO ability to evaluate WRs.

Fairly confident the guys you've listed would be invisible in our offense so far and that Paul Richardson would likely be shining in a place like Green Bay or Philly.

Unless you are a true #1, it is almost impossible to be properly evaluated in this offense. That is part philosophy, part a function of playing with a unique QB who is as likely to target a UDFA tight end as he is to target Percy Harvin.

Playing receiver in Seattle is going to be limiting and challenging. The ball gets pulled down a lot here and is delivered in ways that is very unique to the QB. Comparing our rookies' stats to guys who play in GB and Philly is apples and oranges. Former pedestrian, Golden Tate, is currently on pace for 1,600 yards. 1,600!

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":2e392r4d said:
Richardson may still turn out to be special but it will be interesting to follow the careers of the talented WRs we passed on. Thus far:

Jordan Matthews: 6'3" (We passed on him when trading down with the Lions) He has been very good for the Eagles and is the big bodied red-zone threat we're missing.

Martavis Bryant: 6'4" speedster. Has been dazzling for the Steelers last few weeks with 5 TDs in last 3 games. Still raw and will drop balls, but immense potential.

Allen Robinson: 6'2" On pace for nearly 80 catches as a rookie.

Davante Adams: 6'1" has been productive in the slot for the Packers while adjusting to the WC offense.

Add to these Jarvis Landry, Donte Moncrief, and John Brown who have all flashed potential and Cody Lattimer who looked very good in preseason.

Takes a couple years to evaluate a draft, and all these guys play in different offenses, but initially I am a little worried we may have missed on a stud WR to select a complementary player like P-Rich. I wish I had more faith in the FO ability to evaluate WRs.

Maybe you can talk the organization into creating a hindsight coordinator position?

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
I'm ok if Kearse ends up being our 4th receiver. That's a pretty solid 4th guy. He's not a solid #2 though, so we kind of have to count on PRich and Norwood to keep developing to earn their increasing reps THIS season.

We absolutely need this to happen so that DB can be in the slot full time and we don't see Brian Walters in the game for any offensive snap that isn't garbage time.

kidhawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":elofrv9u said:
Largent80":elofrv9u said:
Norwood could be our new Rice.

Alright, I like the kid as much as anyone, but Jerry Rice? Come on, Rob...

We don't talk about Jerry Rice here after the whole "80" debacle ;)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Exception of Baldwin, the other receivers are very pedestrian. Richardson and Norwood are rooks but rest don't strike any fear into anyone. I'm starting to believe that Chris Carter was right about these receivers last year. This season shows him to be correct so far.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I like what PC said in his presser about Richardson and Norwood, said it's all about opportunities. That these 2 could have been starters that they have that talent, just they need the opportunity, they are now starting to get that chance. Let's hope they continue to perform and develop.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I think the impression that our WR's are pedestrian has more to do with scheme and our mediocre OL. When you compare out stats to GB they have more targets, and more catches, but not by a lot, 243 targets for SH and 258 for GB. GB has 85 missed targets and we have 90. The big difference comes in total yardage and long plays. Our OL doesn't give Russell and our WR's enough time for those plays to develop.

SC