Panicking about Seattle Mariners?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Panicking about Seattle Mariners? So are fans of other MLB contenders

Let’s start with that first quote:
From postseason magic to a really bad start in 2023.”

That comes from an article posted on the 6abc Action News (Philadelphia) website about the Phillies. Yes, the same Phillies who reached the World Series last year. Well, they’re off to an 8-12 start after a big offseason where they signed superstar shortstop Trea Turner. Fun note about him: In a stat unearthed by Seattle Sports’ Brandon Gustafson, Turner has a 0.6 WAR this season, while Mariners shortstop J.P. Crawford (who the Mariners coincidentally acquired from Philly prior to the 2019 season) has a 0.9 WAR right now. Bet you didn’t expect that.

On to No. 2: “Fans seem to have had enough of the veteran and want him out.”

Nope, that’s not about La Stella. That’s from a sportskeeda article about José Abreu, new first baseman for the defending World Series champion (and Seattle Mariners archenemy) Houston Astros. They’re off to a 9-10 start, and fans are none too pleased that he has a .605 OPS and hasn’t hit a home run since Aug. 4, 2022, when he was still with the Chicago White Sox.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Not really panicking but there's no edge to this team, and no leadership. Last year's team had that.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'm not panicking. They're right about where I expected. This is a .500 club that got lucky in close games the last couple seasons and got worse this off-season.

I would say demoralized more than depressed

sutz

Reaction score
No panic here. :) It's the middle of April, not late September.

calinator

Reaction score
Reading stuff like that and things from other fans makes it seem like it's their first year following baseball or just really really impatient. The Mariners have literally only played like 1/10 of their season so far or 1 NFL regular season game. They have lost a lot of close games and just need to get lucky, clean things up and start winning them at some point. Let's not forget that they were a sub .500 club struggling all the way until July last year when they had their winning streak. The team is loaded with talented pitching but the ownership and GM definitely need to be held responsible for being overly cheap with their money and not signing a couple big bats like Reynolds and Judge. If they had spent some money on a couple big position player bats it'd automatically be an elite ball club.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think your last 2 sentences are why folks are pissed.
Yes it’s early, but their are obvious black holes that need to be addressed. See 2B, SS, DH. The sooner the better.

I’ve went to the 2nd Mariners game in 1977. They lost 7-0.
That doesn’t make me a better or worse fan than anyone else.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Reading stuff like that and things from other fans makes it seem like it's their first year following baseball or just really really impatient. The Mariners have literally only played like 1/10 of their season so far or 1 NFL regular season game. They have lost a lot of close games and just need to get lucky, clean things up and start winning them at some point. Let's not forget that they were a sub .500 club struggling all the way until July last year when they had their winning streak. The team is loaded with talented pitching but the ownership and GM definitely need to be held responsible for being overly cheap with their money and not signing a couple big bats like Reynolds and Judge. If they had spent some money on a couple big position player bats it'd automatically be an elite ball club.
Reynolds was under contract with Pirates not a FA..Juidge was never leaving NY

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Im not worried things will work out.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever read anything worthwhile from sportsskeeda other than something that they try to contrive into something that they can sensationalize. I stopped their feed into my FB feeds.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Reynolds would have cost us Kelenic and too pitching prospects. Kelenic has been the best thing about this young season. Wong changed leagues and is coming around (still awful), and Julio is not dominating this season. If we aren’t better in a month, then panic.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Doesn't mean he has turned it around. He had a ridiculous error that cost the team 3 runs. It would take a LOT for me to be on board with that guy.
57 at bats, 8 hits, sitting at a .140 batting average. BRUTAL.
Not good enough for me, and it shouldn't be good enough for Servais.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Yoshida off to a hot start with Boston. Another guy M's didn't go after.

Wong went 3 for 4 Sunday.
Drove in no runs while costing the team 3 runs. The guy has been negative WAR all season long.

Not good enough for me, and it shouldn't be good enough for Servais.
Servais has lost the team as far as I'm concerned. Boring and uninspired dug out.

Echawks

Reaction score
Servais just doesnt have that situational mind.. its like for pitchers he comes in with a pitch count and no matter how the pitcher is throwing he sticks with it even if they are struggling.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Servais just doesnt have that situational mind.. its like for pitchers he comes in with a pitch count and no matter how the pitcher is throwing he sticks with it even if they are struggling.
Servais was a catcher for years whie playing,I think he knows more
about pitchers than most.
It's easy to be an armchair manager but we don't know a lot behind
the scenes and the M's have good pitching overall for a reason.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Yoshida off to a hot start with Boston. Another guy M's didn't go after.

Drove in no runs while costing the team 3 runs. The guy has been negative WAR all season long.

Servais has lost the team as far as I'm concerned. Boring and uninspired dug out.
In Wong's defense that was one hell of save on that double steal..It saved a run
BUT he is so short that eh it looked harder than it had to be lol.
Also that one throw while in mid air in a dp looked good but came up short.
Wong needs to bulk up a bit really..I hope he proves us all Wong but I have a hard
time seeing it.