Passed 18 times in the final half

renofox

Reaction score
We really didn't run the ball well at all.
1st half we had 3 drives and scored on every one with a 15/18 pass/run mix.

From what I remember, we never passed 3 downs in a row in the 1st half. Utilizing the run was working well, even without explosives. It opened everything up and kept the Rams' defense on its heels.

Failure to run in the 2nd half is what killed the offense. They made life too easy on the Rams' defense.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
After this game I am 100% on firing Pete. Let him stay with the team. But have zero input on coaching staff and play direction. He’s done honestly. I just think the next coach they bring in will be an idiot.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Serious Q: Do you think this is mostly due to Waldron calling primary pass with audible to run, or is Waldron calling primary run and Geno is often alerting to pass?

Geno has lots of motivation (escalators) to increase his passing stats.

I don't know, but I find it difficult to buy into any OC going so pass heavy with a late lead while the running game is kinda working. That would be a special kind of stupid. Not saying Waldron isn't special, but there may be an alternate explanation.
I don't think Geno checks enough to the run, but I think Waldron loses sight of balance and calls games with tunnel vision.

There was a specific instance in the game, I forget when, where the Rams were bringing obvious pressure and there wasn't an adjustment, ended badly.

Still, I can't attribute that all to Geno, aside from a couple of specific instances here and there.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I love how even though they’ve mentioned it multiple times no one factors in how many plays are designed to go run or pass at the line of scrimmage based on what the read is presnap. There is zero change Waldron called pass only at a 14/4 clip, zero.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I love how even though they’ve mentioned it multiple times no one factors in how many plays are designed to go run or pass at the line of scrimmage based on what the read is presnap. There is zero change Waldron called pass only at a 14/4 clip, zero.
Then their checks are wrong, because that can't keep happening over and over. Happened when Lock was in too, perhaps to an even greater degree, so it isn't attributable the quarterback misreading here.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I
Then their checks are wrong, because that can't keep happening over and over. Happened when Lock was in too, perhaps to an even greater degree, so it isn't attributable the quarterback misreading here.
You’re not all wrong but it’s checked out of a run play more often than people realize which again Pete has talked about more than once post games. I still blame coaching as well because sometimes you just need to call a run play and live with it. I think Geno and Lock are probably reading it right and Waldron needs to at times just remove the option it? I don’t know but I do know it’s not Waldron just calling pass after pass

flv2

Reaction score
Walker was out for the game. Charbonnet looks to be 'by-committee' as a rusher but he's a better than average blocker. The running game wasn't working so adjusting to a pass heavy play-calling scheme made sense.

Passing wasn't wrong but there's a problem with either the scheme or the players. There were 65 offensive plays. TEs were on the field for 91 plays. They combined for 2 receptions on 5 targets for 13 yards. Am I missing their pass-blocking skills? There are invariably a lot of RB flare routes to the sideline behind the LOS. Is the objective to play 10 on 10 or give the QB a pass on intentional grounding?

cymatica

Reaction score
Except this has been going on for several games. There's a good chance it was 13/5