Patrick Willis: Hit "uncalled for"

drdiags

Reaction score
Pete said the hit on Wilson was legal and it is how the game is played. He said he went ballistic on the ref because he thought Brooks lead with his helmet. So he wasn't whining about the idea of blowing Wilson up, but rather the leading with the helmet was legal. Since Wilson is thought of as a runner, you used to be able to have helmet to helmet but I think that changed along with the RB lowering his helmet to use as a battering ram. With the Brandon Merriweather hit on Lacy in the GB game being noted as a play that should have gotten a flag, this is the same argument Pete was making.

So yes, he did come out saying he didn't have a problem with the NFL view on when the QB was susceptible to being clobbered when the issue came out last week. Says he supports it. It is the helmet to helmet nature of Brooks' hit that got his ire with the refs. Just to give the story as he relayed it today on his daily radio show. The host (Brock Huard) was trying to get him to say the hit was illegal and Pete said no way in it's intent, just the execution.

EDIT: As far as cut blocking. The league should outlaw it. Will make it harder for teams to form OL units though but too much crap going on in the trash anyway.

EDIT 2: Mistakenly had "was" when I meant "wasn't"

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
The cut block is a part of football. They can outlaw it, as they probably will, but it will only take away from the game. I imagine, though, there are a few ZBS coaches like Cable and Gibbs that are going to raise hell to keep it legal.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":1k32hvuc said:
Yea, I love how Harbaugh bitches and whines to the league for a week about Mathews saying he's going to hit his QB.

Then his players go out and level Russell Wilson every time he hands the ball off in the read option. Did we hear a peep from big Jim ? Nope.

When you're a blatant hypocrite, it really erodes any argument you or your players would have. The rest of the league is already tired of hearing Jim Harbaugh this season, and barely we're into week 3.
Hell yes, Patric "Wussie" Willis needs to stake claim on being a part of a team that likes to "Cheap Shot" on Quarterbacks to boot.
Don't piss and moan if you're a part of Jim Douchebaugh's dish it out but can't take it Whiners.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
drdiags":10ug6208 said:
Pete said the hit on Wilson was legal and it is how the game is played. He said he went ballistic on the ref because he thought Brooks lead with his helmet. So he was whining about the idea of blowing Wilson up, but rather the leading with the helmet was legal. Since Wilson is thought of as a runner, you used to be able to have helmet to helmet but I think that changed along with the RB lowering his helmet to use as a battering ram. With the Brandon Merriweather hit on Lacy in the GB game being noted as a play that should have gotten a flag, this is the same argument Pete was making.

So yes, he did come out saying he didn't have a problem with the NFL view on when the QB was susceptible to being clobbered when the issue came out last week. Says he supports it. It is the helmet to helmet nature of Brooks' hit that got his ire with the refs. Just to give the story as he relayed it today on his daily radio show. The host (Brock Huard) was trying to get him to say the hit was illegal and Pete said no way in it's intent, just the execution.

EDIT: As far as cut blocking. The league should outlaw it. Will make it harder for teams to form OL units though but too much crap going on in the trash anyway.

They got away with the 'leading with the helmet' hit on Wilson last week by the Panthers also, but they fined the shit out of Tate for doing that to a Cowboy Defender last Year, and again they penalized Chancellor for his PERFECTLY CLEAN AND LEGAL hit on VD also, but it's okay to nail a Quarterback as fair game?
I think that when the ball is out of the Quarterbacks hands, the Defender should do everything he can to pull up on a hit, but "Spearing" has always been a big :141847_bnono:

tyshawkfan

Reaction score
If these guys dont like getting cut stop looking in the backfield and keep your head on a swivel to defend against it. Its just like wrs running across the middle and expecting the defense to just let them catch the ball. If the defender can see a short running back behind the big 300lb linemen he should be able to see the said big lineman going for a cut block. Sounds like ole jimmy is starting to wear off on some of his players.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Willis is the most fantastic LBer in the business IMHO, but I lost all respect for him when he speared Hasselbeck 2009

It was an away game and the Niner fans cheered his injury to no end. Screw their injuries. If the hit is legal it is legal.

Latest posts