Pauline: FO graded 7 of their picks as 1st or 2nd-rounders

mikeak

Reaction score
^ exactly right. To dumb it down - if you go to the grocery store for milk but come home with heavy cream because it was on sale then your kids might be a tad annoyed with the argument that cream and cereal is a better value.....

Now if Seattle really felt like those are spots they wanted to fill then of course they got great value, but if we cut several of those players solely because of lack of roster spots then we wasted picks

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What this tells me is what we already knew, that Seattle grades differently than most teams, putting higher emphasis on some important intangibles like;

- love for the game
- multi-dimensional athleticism
- guys that have gone through adversity
- high character/loyalty

- Shaq Griffin wouldn't go somewhere his twin brother wasn't accepted (high character/loyalty)
- Darboh was an orphaned refugee before coming to the US (crazy adversity)

These kinds of things I'd imagine other teams look at, but don't necessarily bump a player's grade up a full round like it seems Pete and John take into account when grading.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
"the Seattle Seahawks are overjoyed with their draft, as seven of the players they selected graded as first- or second-rounders on their board."

So the news here is that the office draft staff gave themselves a good grade?

Wow how unexpected. Have you ever heard an organization come out after a draft with the statement, " wow we really sucked that up"....?

Jville

Reaction score
John Schneider & Company had good reason to be ecstatic with their latest draft results. The 2016 draft and player seasoning also had a lot to do with setting up 2017 draft plans. For the most part, they traded down and drafted into the strength of the 2017 draft class. Their draft also, once again, reflected a measured interest in a forever young theme. They used 6 picks to address the 7th and 8th oldest snap-weighted-age groups at DB and DL. Their one minor draft upset was at TE ...... where they ranked 8th oldest by snap-weighted-age.

2016SWASUM
Source with details >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/snap-weighted-age-2016-nfl-rosters[/urltargetblank]

They reloaded on offense last year and came back and addressed the defense this year. What we fans, on the outside, can't see is how a completed draft can set up and blend into the next draft class. Only an embedded few are privy to those details.

Oh' and congratulations to the Colt on signing Ed Dobbs. Dobbs comes from a trend setting culture and community.

Jville

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":121bchh4 said:
I just want to know who exactly told the author this information?

During a radio interview after the draft, Schneider would point out that the Seahawks got six players in their first seven picks on whom they had placed a second-round-or-better grade.

From the article >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/05/10/%E2%80%9Cwe%E2%80%99re-just-getting-warmed-%E2%80%9D-inside-seahawks%E2%80%99-draft-room-during-busy-third-round[/urltargetblank]

Actual radio interview refereed to >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/05/02/five-takeaways-seahawks-general-manager-john-schneider%E2%80%99s-appearance-sports-radio-950[/urltargetblank]

Schadie001

Reaction score
I heard a report on the radio a few months ago that this draft was so talented and deep at DB that literally every team could pick nothing but DB's for a solid 4 rounds and get 1st or 2nd round talent. So I'm not surprised as we took 4 DB's, arguably the best pass rushing DT and the best Center in the draft that makes 6. I will buy that the FO graded 7 players that way.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Meh. We've had 1st round busts and 5th round all-pros. At this point, everyone is a potential superstar, in the same way that every 6 year old could grow up to cure cancer.

Rule

Reaction score
IMG_0326.png

I'll just leave this here. I tend to agree.

Rule

Reaction score
chris98251":qryz3tye said:
Rule":qryz3tye said:
IMG_0326.png

Ok and where was your team ranked then?
10th LOL

keeping Cable & Bevell especially will doom the 'Hawks again, unfortunately.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Rule":38x1usop said:
chris98251":38x1usop said:
Rule":38x1usop said:
IMG_0326.png

Ok and where was your team ranked then?
10th LOL

keeping Cable & Bevell especially will doom the 'Hawks again, unfortunately.

The 'Hawks finished the season in the Top 7 and would have been higher without a couple of Hauschka whiffs. "Doom" doesn't strike me as synonymous as Top 10.