Penalties

Welshers2

Reaction score
Not trying to be a killjoy after a great win but it's something that needs to be discussed. Seahawks lead the NFL in penalties. The completely unnecessary roughness penalty by Burns at the 5 yard line yesterday could well have cost us our season. I'll give Dallas a pass because it was fair catch interference, but it speaks to an overarching problem. Holdings, defensive PIs, false starts OK. You can live with those.

But they constant undisciplined roughness and conduct penalties are absolute killers. They very near cost us the game yesterday. They are 100% preventable and there is absolutely no reason guys need to be lashing out. I don't know, it seems to be a theme on PC teams. Probably nothing that can be done about it at this point but it's frustrating. If you lead the league in penalties you're doing something wrong there.

Not to be negative, team is playing well and great win. But frustrating to see those dumb ones giving 15 yards and a first down for no reason!

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Burns shoved a guy who flopped. Same thing with DJ. He shoved a guy who was in his face and missed making it look like he threw an elbow. It's on the refs to discuss these things and get the calls right because they were super lame attempts by the Titans to draw fouls.

To say they're undisciplined for doing what 99% of the human population would have done is silly. Guys push and shove all the time after the whistle. Refs were overzealous IMO.

The standards fans have of players is unbelievable at times. It's an emotional game. The penalties that bother me are pre-snap penalties, DPI and holding. Those kill drives more than anything else.

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
Seahawks also led the league in penalties in 2013…

Ozzy

Reaction score
Like Huard says. You take the good with the bad when you have Pete Carroll. He will never have a super disciplined team and it’s by design. He wants his guys playing on the edge. His penalty board has been laughed at publicly by players and Pete does nothing. If he wants it fixed or improved he could, apparently he doesn’t think the reward to that is worth it. At this stage I think he’s wrong but he’s not asking me

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
Burns shoved a guy who flopped. Same thing with DJ. He shoved a guy who was in his face and missed making it look like he threw an elbow. It's on the refs to discuss these things and get the calls right because they were super lame attempts by the Titans to draw fouls.

To say they're undisciplined for doing what 99% of the human population would have done is silly. Guys push and shove all the time after the whistle. Refs were overzealous IMO.

The standards fans have of players is unbelievable at times. It's an emotional game. The penalties that bother me are pre-snap penalties, DPI and holding. Those kill drives more than anything else.
You don't think when you're paid millions and millions of dollars you should be able to control yourself after the whistle to not hurt the team? While I would probably agree with you there is empirical evidence to the contrary. The Seahawks also have by far the most personal conduct penalties in the nfl. Is that because every team they play is good at flopping or is there no correlation to discipline?

morgulon1

Reaction score
You don't think when you're paid millions and millions of dollars you should be able to control yourself after the whistle to not hurt the team? While I would probably agree with you there is empirical evidence to the contrary. The Seahawks also have by far the most personal conduct penalties in the nfl. Is that because every team they play is good at flopping or is there no correlation to discipline?

I agree with the OP . The Seahawks are the only team that is faced with this?
Other teams with much better records
don't get the penalties Seattle does.

DeeJay Dallas has been in the league at least 3 seasons yet doesn't know how to
control himself.

Scout

Reaction score
The thinking is that a lot of penalties are subjective and trying to appease nit picky refs a waste of time when the game requires players to be playing full throttle.

What I was personally taught is that you must make adjustments depending on which ref crew you have. If you have a ref crew that is calling a lot of ticky tacky calls for pass interference you know to be aggressive with passes downfield while on defense you have to play off a lot. And if you have a ref crew that lets you play without making a lot of calls you can for example go heavy with jams on defense while on offense you have to make sure you scheme your players open with rubs, trips formations, etc.

PC doesn't want players in their head slowing down their play on the field however being smarter is important when dealing with a sucky ref crew.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I haven’t looked at the stats in a while, but during our glory years, there was a run of something like ten years where the Super Bowl winner was in the top five in penalties during the regular season.

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
I haven’t looked at the stats in a while, but during our glory years, there was a run of something like ten years where the Super Bowl winner was in the top five in penalties during the regular season.
True but I think the main problem is this team isn't good enough to get away with it. The legion of boom could afford to have that menacing attitude and play tough and take penalties because they dominated.

Pete doesn't have the same team but he's going at it with the same approach he did back then. There's no excuse for turning a 3rd and goal into a 1st and goal because you can't help but shove people after the whistle.

I'm not trying to be an old guy whining about discipline but when you lead the league there's a problem. They make millions of dollars, they should be able to just go back to the huddle after the play

Scout

Reaction score
True but I think the main problem is this team isn't good enough to get away with it. The legion of boom could afford to have that menacing attitude and play tough and take penalties because they dominated.

Pete doesn't have the same team but he's going at it with the same approach he did back then. There's no excuse for turning a 3rd and goal into a 1st and goal because you can't help but shove people after the whistle.

I'm not trying to be an old guy whining about discipline but when you lead the league there's a problem. They make millions of dollars, they should be able to just go back to the huddle after the play
Precisely if you are an elite team you can get away with sloppy penalties. This team is a .500 ball club that is young and needs to learn their way to win consistently.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Not trying to be a killjoy after a great win but it's something that needs to be discussed. Seahawks lead the NFL in penalties. The completely unnecessary roughness penalty by Burns at the 5 yard line yesterday could well have cost us our season. I'll give Dallas a pass because it was fair catch interference, but it speaks to an overarching problem. Holdings, defensive PIs, false starts OK. You can live with those.

But they constant undisciplined roughness and conduct penalties are absolute killers. They very near cost us the game yesterday. They are 100% preventable and there is absolutely no reason guys need to be lashing out. I don't know, it seems to be a theme on PC teams. Probably nothing that can be done about it at this point but it's frustrating. If you lead the league in penalties you're doing something wrong there.

Not to be negative, team is playing well and great win. But frustrating to see those dumb ones giving 15 yards and a first down for no reason!
I don't know. I do know that pre snap is evil and they should be disciplined enough to process that out.

But when our DB is literally standing there, getting completely blasted and run over by the receiver, and WE get the DPI call?

Even Pete said on Brock and Salk "That's not the way that we saw it". Which is PC for complete horseshit.

Ya, we got some attitude problems. But shit like the Dallas thing, and the DK ejection - sometimes the standard is the standard. Sometimes you just gotta take the 15, and not take it up the tailpipe from the other team.

DK does some of that - just muscling to stand up and say: "You're not gonna **** with us".

Least that's how I see some of it. And you know, sometimes you just gotta smoke the QB. Take the 15 and/or the ejection. Just to make a point. ;) I'd like to see that occasionally. Just make a point. Make 'em hear ghosts.

The refs were steerin us at the Titans game. It's not all us. And see the 'incomplete pass' - that wasn't on us, and it wasn't a penalty.

Tinfoil hat off ;)

EDIT: AND - it's tough on the pre snap front when it's completely ******* inconsistent between games, let alone IN games as to what they call. People get away with jumping off on D against us all the time. I was watching at least 4 games on redzone on Sunday and I'm like "is there even a line judge ON THE FIELD, 'cause I just saw 6 plays where 2 dudes clearly jumped and there was no call. So, in this case, the 'standard' isn't even the standard. Just saying.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I wanted Burns not only benched but sent to the locker room. That was pathetic. I'm sure I wasn't the only one yelling WHYYYYYYY?
Yet again, it's a pattern with Pete's teams. A lack of Discipline. Just f'ing stop with the extra crap after the play. STOP

Last edited:

Fernie Hawks Fan

Reaction score
I wanted Burns not only benched but sent to the locker room. That was pathetic. I'm sure I wasn't the only one yelling WHYYYYYYY?
Yet again, it's a pattern with Pete's teams. A lack of Discipline. Just f'ing stop with the extra crap after the play. STOP
Okay I'm picking up what you're laying down about the after the whistle stuff Soul, but myself, I couldn't believe they called that on Burns. I have seen a hell of a lot more going on in other games that doesn't get a flag. Burns shoved him but....that guy went down like he was shot....Academy Award stuff right there.

mwmccollough

Reaction score
Okay I'm picking up what you're laying down about the after the whistle stuff Soul, but myself, I couldn't believe they called that on Burns. I have seen a hell of a lot more going on in other games that doesn't get a flag. Burns shoved him but....that guy went down like he was shot....Academy Award stuff right there.
This, it was ridiculously over the top

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I agree there is a lack of discipline with the reactive penalties. The 2nd guy usually always attracts the flag. Some of the other penalties are directly related to how aggressive the HC wants his team to be. The players need to be smarter about some of them without a doubt.

OTOH I don’t want a team that allows themselves be pushed around. Sometimes the only response to an uncalled for shove or unnoticed punch is to respond in kind. Thing is, the players involved need to be smart about it and about their responses. Timing is important.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if it was over the top, IT WAS STUPID. Totally could have been avoided.
Know the situation. Walk TF away, especially at the end of the game. DK gets blasted every time he fights back. This guy gets excused because of the acting job? Not even, he got owned by the guy on the Titans that baited him. And it worked.
If it was the other way around, we would be loving it. And laughing about how we got someone to do something so stupid.