Penny-Carson or Carson-Penny?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Furthermore, Carson is running through Keuchly next week. He might even get juked by Davis or dusted by Penny.

massari

Reaction score
Was hoping to see more of Penny after those couple good runs early, especially given Carson's fumble.

Penny has averaged more than 3 YPC in a game four times, and all four of those defenses are currently in the bottom ten in the league against the run.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Loving our running back rotation right now. Carson #1, Davis-Penny split carries and provide change of pace. Biggest concern is Carson staying healthy; he runs SO HARD that it's quite a pounding. I'd rather see Carson for 15 carries than 25 carries, and have him last the whole season plus hopefully playoffs. Tonight we needed Carson to carry the load, and he did. With 10 days until Carolina, hopefully enough time for him to be healthy for that. Davis and Penny each need around 10 carries a game, to spread the load and show different looks to defenses.

Love how they all 3 were used tonight against the Packers. Kudos to Schottenheimer.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Against Carolina, the best option would be a lot of Mike Davis.

Carolina has a physical defensive front. We need a back who can run through a brick wall. Carson and Penny are beat up. It’s a road game, and not necessarily a must win game. Though a win would be huge.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Teams are loading the box to stop the Seahawks running game and still failing to do so. The Rams were putting 8-9 men in the box and still Penny/Davis were ripping yards. The Packers were doing the same thing, I kept seeing 8 men in the box, the Seahawks combined for over 170 rushing yards. Now if the passing attack can improve, the offense will look that much better.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2v5lxh4y said:
Teams are loading the box to stop the Seahawks running game and still failing to do so. The Rams were putting 8-9 men in the box and still Penny/Davis were ripping yards. The Packers were doing the same thing, I kept seeing 8 men in the box, the Seahawks combined for over 170 rushing yards. Now if the passing attack can improve, the offense will look that much better.

Saw much better run/pass balance in the 2nd half...............my favorite play is when we come back from a break after getting the ball back on a punt and go first down play action.

And even though the screens, reverses and Lockett attempted throwback to Russell didn't work most of the time, I'm OK with that because it made GB scheme and stretch their defense out which opens up running lanes and crossing patterns.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
LOL at people talking about the Carson "fumble." Matthews slammed right into the ball with the crown of his helmet. Nothing an RB can do about that. Even the surest hands Lynch, Rawls, Warner wouldn't have held onto that ball.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":27fgvpkz said:
hawkfan68":27fgvpkz said:

Saw much better run/pass balance in the 2nd half...............my favorite play is when we come back from a break after getting the ball back on a punt and go first down play action.

And even though the screens, reverses and Lockett attempted throwback to Russell didn't work most of the time, I'm OK with that because it made GB scheme and stretch their defense out which opens up running lanes and crossing patterns.

I agree, even failed plays served in long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1rvv00l8 said:
LOL at people talking about the Carson "fumble." Matthews slammed right into the ball with the crown of his helmet. Nothing an RB can do about that. Even the surest hands Lynch, Rawls, Warner wouldn't have held onto that ball.

Carson does not have a fumble problem, all great HOF RBs fumbled in their career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawknation2018

Reaction score
29 snaps for Carson
22 for Davis
17 for Penny

Carson-Davis-Penny. Very good!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I disagree that Penny does not pass the eye test..I have seen many backs who
did and proved it.Penny is able to do things with movement that I haven't seen
in a while,his speed is damn good but as others have said the game has to slow
down for him a little and when it does-look out!

Fade

Reaction score
TwilightError":2of1baw0 said:
After the Packersgame its very clear that Carson is the better back at this stage. Man its been fun watching him! I’ve missed this so much since Lynch has been gone.

I still cant figure out Penny though. He does not look bad but he does not really pass the eye-test either, and doesn’t seem to have burst. But since Carson is so great, I’m willing to wait and see before passing any judgement.

He passes the eye test when you look at how quick his feet are for a 230 lb back. He also has excellent vision, and can use his + athletism to make the necessary cuts to take advantage of said vision.

Penny has fresh legs right now as you get deeper into the season that becomes a bigger factor. Teams are worn out and beat-up.

When a runningback is ripping off big runs of course he fits any offense. The Seahawks system though is built around staying on schedule, and running tough and physical. So I don't know if Penny is a good fit in that context as he is a feast or famine type of back. Penny needs to find a way to get better at breaking contact especially arm tackles. A lot of the time he is looking to go down as the contact is arriving not even giving himself the chance to evade the tackler. He should continue to cut weight and get back down to 220 as I think that would accentuate his sklll set even more.

He looks better at 228 than when he was 238, and I think he would be even better at 220.