Per Pete on Brock & Salk Sherman played with a MCL injury...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I thought the Madden curse expired already.

The amount of injuries the secondary has had the last 3 years is crazy.

byau

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":y9t2w9n7 said:
I'm also struck by Baldwin and others' repeated comments about this being a "long season." This one really did feel tough..

Having won a playoff game every season for five seasons now including two SBs... that's a lot of games to play. Kind of getting up there with the Packers and the Patriots.

Patriots: since 2009, total of 126 games (playoffs every year since 2009, no playoff win 2009, 2010, been in the conference championship every year since then ..seven straight years..including two SBs)

Packers: since 2009, total of 125 games (playoffs every year since 2009, including one SB, no playoff win in 2009, 2011, 2013)

Seahawks: since 2009, total of 124 games (that includes no playoffs in 2009 and 2011, we've had at least one playoff victory every year and two SBs)

Josea16

Reaction score
classicaaron":3siwruhu said:
so hopefully this is just coach speak and Pete doesn't really believe all this. because it sounds like he believes this team is sooo close and we don't have to do anything different and we just change one or two plays were back to being the champs. this is so far from the truth. sounds like he cant cope with reality. again maybe this is just him talking and doesn't want to blow up anyones spot but I doubt it.
As otters have said we really were a missed FG and maybe a extra point away from being 12-4 even with all the injuries. And being at home throughout with a bye probably would have made all the difference.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seahawks4life":1f6v9xbo said:
"You don't know that he dealt with a significant knee the whole second half of the season and it was stressful for him to try to get out there," Carroll said Monday on 710 ESPN Seattle's the "Brock and Salk" show. "He had an MCL problem that he could play with, like Russell did. He had the same problem that Russell did and he made it through it."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...veals-richard-sherman-dealt-with-knee-injury/

Also confimrs Wilson was far from 100%

Seymour

Reaction score
Josea16":1fnp1cfx said:
As otters have said we really were a missed FG and maybe a extra point away from being 12-4 even with all the injuries. And being at home throughout with a bye probably would have made all the difference.

Cute_Otters_256.jpg

"One more field Goal!"

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well the good news is that this answers some questions about Sherman losing a step or locker room problems.

These guys want to get to the big dance every year and when Sherm knows he's playing with a knee issue, then sees Earl go down, the frustration bubbles over.

JimmyG

Reaction score
Basis4day":3a3yxk2o said:
A good a reminder as any to state this:

When we use terms like "I hope he is 100%" or "when he gets healthy" we are using complete misnomers.

All football players are injured and playing through pain. It's only a matter of degree. There is no such thing as a healthy football player.
Another thing I keep seeing is people saying, "oh, we were hit really hard with injuries this year. Next year, we'll come back healthy and be able to make a deep run." Why? Health is not a certainty. Was this year an aberration where we were inordinately unlucky with injuries, or were we fortunate to avoid many of them in the past?

Look at New England. This time last year, their fans were saying things like, "Dion Lewis was huge for us, and we didn't have him for the playoffs. Next year, he'll be back." Well, now Dion Lewis is back and killing it, but this time Rob Gronkowski is out for the year and missed the entire playoffs. Health is not a certainty, and depth is really important.

RussB

Reaction score
I was wondering why he seemed to regress the second half of the season. He just looked off and slow.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Healthy Sherm would still get beat by Julio Jones. Julio is that good.

This explains why some other WR's had success against him though. The JJ Nelson's of the world.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3tnw0xv4 said:
Healthy Sherm would still get beat by Julio Jones. Julio is that good.

This explains why some other WR's had success against him though. The JJ Nelson's of the world.

truth.

It would've been a few more contested balls if Sherms healthy but you aren't going to shut down Julio, you just try to slow him down and mitigate the damage he does.

It does explain why he seemed to be playing off a little more than usual. Think he was afraid of getting beaten deep and giving up the come back stuff and the underneath stuff. Couldn't have been a fun injury to play thru, hats off to him and Russ for battling.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
JimmyG":az063i4e said:
Basis4day":az063i4e said:
A good a reminder as any to state this:

When we use terms like "I hope he is 100%" or "when he gets healthy" we are using complete misnomers.

All football players are injured and playing through pain. It's only a matter of degree. There is no such thing as a healthy football player.
Another thing I keep seeing is people saying, "oh, we were hit really hard with injuries this year. Next year, we'll come back healthy and be able to make a deep run." Why? Health is not a certainty. Was this year an aberration where we were inordinately unlucky with injuries, or were we fortunate to avoid many of them in the past?

Look at New England. This time last year, their fans were saying things like, "Dion Lewis was huge for us, and we didn't have him for the playoffs. Next year, he'll be back." Well, now Dion Lewis is back and killing it, but this time Rob Gronkowski is out for the year and missed the entire playoffs. Health is not a certainty, and depth is really important.

I doubt you find a Super Bowl Winner riddled with injuries. Winning the Super Bowl is more than just being good. Luck does play into it. Injuries can keep a good team out. Depth can be a luck thing as well. We have depth in certain areas just not where we got injured. Or get players injured all the way through the depth chart (running back). Only so many players on a team. As far as Pats maybe it goes to prove my point is where your injuries occur. Gronk is easier for them to overcome than the loss of a DB in your example.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Seymour":209qtt8i said:
Josea16":209qtt8i said:

Cute_Otters_256.jpg

"One more field Goal!"

As otters have said, we should have gone to the Superb Owl this year, marker my words.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ludakrishna":35btxafh said:
Mojambo":35btxafh said:
I'd imagine they're going to get some calls from the NFL, because I don't believe Richard Sherman was listed on the injury report for a knee once all season.

Agreed. I wonder which draft pick or how many days of practice will we be penalized. This should've been disclosed and the only person accountable for any penalty is Pete himself.

I think one of two things are probably true, neither of which is that big of a deal, IMO.

It's also worth noting that the NFL did away with the "probable" tag this year, so the two designations are now only "questionable" (50/50 according to designation rules) and "doubtful" (25% chance of playing according to designation rules).

SCENARIO 1: Sherman was secretly missing practice time (most practice sessions are closed to the media these days) and/or SHOULD have been listed as questionable in some weeks but was not. This is in violation of the NFL rules, but whaever, I don't think it's that big of a deal and as far as I know the NFL hasn't fined or docked anyone. IMO if this is the case it's basically a non-story.

SCENARIO 2: After a superstar has a down year the "he was more injured than anyone knew" story is kind of a cliche at this point. The truth is that every NFL player is banged up every year, but the "more injured than anyone knew" story always gets saved for this particular case. We're getting this same treatment for Wilson now too. So, in scenario 2 Pete Carroll is playing up how injured Sherman was just as a face saving technique (he was banged up, like everyone else, but never banged up enough to actually be "questionable" to play. Like Scenario 1, IMO this too is basically a non-story.

classicaaron

Reaction score
Josea16":xfyfygw9 said:
classicaaron":xfyfygw9 said:
so hopefully this is just coach speak and Pete doesn't really believe all this. because it sounds like he believes this team is sooo close and we don't have to do anything different and we just change one or two plays were back to being the champs. this is so far from the truth. sounds like he cant cope with reality. again maybe this is just him talking and doesn't want to blow up anyones spot but I doubt it.

I see im in the far minority in this thread but stop looking through the blue and green glasses. half the teams in the league are a couple plays away from changing the outcome of numerous games and being one to three games better. we were also a play or two away from losing additional games but no one ever wants to think of those. these type of games even out in the end and your still set with the same record they have. Yes the Hauschka kicks cost us but the offense was also terrible most games. that first cardinals game he shouldn't have even had a chance to miss the kick as we should have already lost. if the famous Julio Jones PI call goes there way we lose. If Gronk catches that fade pass we lose. theres probably even others. So we were also very close to being 8-8 and out of the playoffs. but keep dreaming how great this team is.

Terrible offenses don't win super bowls. you don't have to be record breaking but you do need to be serviceable and this offense is not. out of all the divisional teams that were in it last weekend we were second worst and even Houston would have given us major problems with that defense. offense is just garbage. the rest of the teams beat us hands down. packers and cowboys would have destroyed us even at home. you can say we need healthy Lockette but plenty of games he played in the offense was still garbage. im sticking to my guns, this team needs more than the status quo to be a real contender. yes everyone who makes the playoffs has a chance at a superbowl. but theres a big difference between the dolphins and the patriots making the playoffs. we are a 6 to 8 best team in the league, it makes for nice seasons but certainly not championship material. im not saying were bad, we have a good team, but people are talking championships here and good does not equal championships.

I live in PA and have been a hawks fan for over 30 years. but stop the homerism. you sound like stupid eagles fans around here who think they are one receiver away from the superbowl right now. its just sad when you don't take a step back and look at things legitimately.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
classicaaron":12143h7o said:
Josea16":12143h7o said:
classicaaron":12143h7o said:

I see im in the far minority in this thread but stop looking through the blue and green glasses. half the teams in the league are a couple plays away from changing the outcome of numerous games and being one to three games better. we were also a play or two away from losing additional games but no one ever wants to think of those.

Basically this, and for any team. If you want to talk about just a field goal making the decision, in games decided by 0 to 2 points the Seahawks were 3-0-1 in one this year.

If we want to start re-writing history as based on the randomness of a field goal we could just as easily make them 8-8 as we could make them 12-4.

(my personal fandom experience of this was two years ago, when the 9ers went 5-11, but were insanely lucky to have even won 5 games (they overperformed in one score games, which over time are random). 9ers fans just didn't want to hear it because they wanted to believe the team was better than it was, even though, now we know it CLEARLY wasn't :lol: ).

mrt144

Reaction score
Josea16":2stx8182 said:
classicaaron":2stx8182 said:

I don't know how you can argue that fully given several games this season where the offense couldn't even get to 10 pts.