Per Schefter: Teams monitoring hawks cuts closely

HawkHack

Reaction score
I've always wondered why teams spend a roster spot on the long snapper. I mean, I know having a crappy long snapper is doom and despair and all that (something we 'Hawks fans have actually experienced), but ...

... Why aren't there guys who are good long snappers and decent backup OL guys? It seems like that would save a roster spot for something more ... interesting. Are the skill sets for a long snapper and OL backup really that different? Why can't the backup center (JeanPierre) learn to long-snap? Like I said, that saves us a roster spot. That seems like a huge win.

After all, we don't have a roster spot for our FG holder -- it's Jon Ryan, our punter.

chris98251

Reaction score
Most Long snappers are TE or Linebacker size, the skill is being able to from the ground send a ball where you want in a spiral, O linemen and D lineman for that matter I think have issues becasue of their size and center of gravity beinga able to strech out ane leab forward with the right angle and then snap the ball back to a place they can see by looking baclk thru their legs.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Yeah we have a family friend who played in the NFL as a reserve LB and a long snapper. He was a LB in college.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Teams want their long snappers to be able to work exclusively with their K's and P's throughout practices. If you have a regular position player who doubles as your LS, you don't have that option, and something gets compromised. LS is a unique position all to itself, just like the K's and P's.