Percy Harvin: Candidate for contract restructure?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
True but I'm not sure that's any worse than how it is now where Amy team with a good QB will constantly be up against the cap and watching thier best players leave constantly.

bigcc

Reaction score
Hawknballs":20qyjj5b said:
True but I'm not sure that's any worse than how it is now where Amy team with a good QB will constantly be up against the cap and watching thier best players leave constantly.

Or you get a Snyder type whose willing to overpay some franchises QB by 20 million dollars, either keep the cap steady (though I think it/salaries should be higher than they are), or get rid of it completely.

Not a fan of setting it for one player.

If a QB hurts his throwing arm but is intent at still playing, your franchise is screwed until the deal is up since you can't go and sign another QB who doesn't count vs. the cap.

AgentDib

Reaction score
All that is being discussed here is a method to increase your talent in the short term by putting some of the cap value on the team credit card where it can be paid off down the road in easy installments. It is very appropriate for teams that they think have a chance to compete for a championship right now if they could just spend a little more, and they are willing to make their team worse a few years from now in order to get that immediate bump in value.

Are the '14 Seahawks one of these teams?

If you tend towards extreme pessimism then we may be losing Sherman and Thomas after this season, Russell Wilson after 2015, and our draft picks in the interim may all bust. If you believe all that then it makes a ton of sense to do a lot of contract restructuring this offseason to not only retain Tate/Baldwin/Rice and Bennett but also to bring in maybe a split-end like Kenny Britt as insurance for when Rice gets hurt.

More realistically, Carroll's system will continue to develop good secondary players. Some of our other draft picks will turn out to be good, and Wilson will remain with the team that drafted him and where he won a Superbowl. In this scenario, I don't think it makes much sense to rob from the 2016 Seahawks in order to pay the 2014 Seahawks. If you plan on being a season ticket holder in 2016 you probably have a similar opinion.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I would like to see us free up some cap space, but I doubt this is one of the means that they, the FO, will look into.

sutz

Reaction score
I think it really depends on his current deal, on how much of a bonus he gets this year, vs his salary going forward. Also, there may be a contract stipulation forbidding it this year.

If it is possible, it's a great idea, and I'm sure Schnied & Co are reviewing this.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HawkWow":wxk07mfe said:
mikeak":wxk07mfe said:
Why would he not go for it?

If he is due $10 million this year you redo the contract - everything else stays the same but this years salary becomes a $10million signing bonus

Boom he gets $10million minus minimum wage full up front guaranteed. Doesn't matter if he is cut / injured / suspended whatever he is making minimum wage as salary. The money gets split in the years left of the deal minimizing impact this year

Furthermore it increases dead money cap hit for future years making it even less likely he gets cut in the future

Such a resign is all GREAT for the player but not good from a long term TEAM perspective.

No reason Percy says no. However no reason for the Seahawks to do it - others can be renewed under similar circumstances and makes more sense.

But if it is an option, and the Hawks don't act upon it, wouldn't Percy's fans call the Hawks "haters"?

"Percy's fans?" Well I'm a Seahawk fan, so yes, last time I checked, he's under contract with us. Oh yeah, I forgot, we should be selective in who we support, because Percy has malingered all season coming back in 6mos from an injury that normally takes > 1 year, doesn't make that big of an impact and is only "quick" not "fast" at all. Not like pull-away-from-everybody-on-that-KO-return FAST. His speed didn't show on those fly sweeps either. Combine numbers don't lie; they are the end-all criteria. Why actually watch a game? :mrgreen: :th2thumbs:

Oh, and just in case you didn't catch it the first time, Percy Harvin is Seahawk.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Pete and John have been planning for this off-season for quite a while... they said so shortly after the SB was over.

I have the utmost confidence in their ability to make the difficult decisions.

I just don't see that Percy is one of them for this off season.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Restructuring or extending percy's contract is a VERY risky maneuver. It's not worth the risk to add more money onto a guy who has only been able to play 1 full game out of the 19 he was under contract for. There are too many other options right now that have much less risk for the team's future with similar reward. I'll be very surprised if they do anything with Percy's deal this year. I look for them to maybe come to him next year, but that will depend on how much the cap goes up (it is due to rise for the 2015 season). It may go up high enough where we don't need to restructure anyone to keep Wilson, but I seriously doubt anything happens with Percy this off season