Percy Harvin: ESPN interview

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1m6lywz3 said:
chris98251":1m6lywz3 said:
Good stick him at CB, everyone will be calling him Toast Harvin, the footwork and hip's there are more important then even at WR.

Not against Chris.....

but a funny comment too....Maybe he can win dancin wif the stars with them hips and footywork. LOL

oops....I suppose he would have to be a star then....My Bad. :twisted: :stirthepot:
Damn, nice burn. No worries because like Wilson is what Vick was touted to be so is Lockett versus Percy.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
PITTSFORD — Percy Harvin is at peace. Not disgruntled, not in a coach’s ear. Moments after this Buffalo Bills practice ends, the wide receiver sprawls out on the Growney Stadium turf with his girlfriend and son in a state of liberation.

The 85-degree heat beats down on the three of them. Few words are spoken. Harvin spots a visitor, coolly saunters over to the nearby metal fence and extends a hand.

Training camp, this summer, feels different.

“Man, it feels so great to come out here and just let it loose,” Harvin said. “At other places, I felt like every day I had to walk on eggshells and look over my back to see who’s watching me. Here, the guys let me be me.”

His mind traces back those practices 2,600 miles away in Seattle when Harvin played for the Seahawks. The jealousy. The cold glares. When Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate weren’t getting the ball in practice, Harvin said they’d protest. They’d pout on the sideline or switch up their positions in the offense from “X” receiver to “Z,” to “F,” to whoever could get the ball on that play.

To Harvin, the two felt threatened.

“It was a constant thing,” Harvin said. “It was something that got under my skin. I felt like they were acting like kids.”

Fights with both players ensued and Harvin’s reputation was tarnished. The kid who was once the No. 1 prospect in the nation out of Virginia Beach, Va., who went No. 22 overall to the Minnesota Vikings in 2009, who revs from 0 to 60 faster than anyone — at receiver, at running back, at returner — is now known first as a malignant chemistry-killer. The Great Divider. The “Most Hated Player” in the NFL, per Sports Illustrated.

Options low, Harvin signed a one-year, $6 million pact in Buffalo.

Saint Rex has granted second chances to several outcasts, but no player is more perplexing than Harvin. Cancer or competitor? Soft or soldier? Friend or foe? You’ve read all the Harvin headlines.

As his son squeals and stuffs rocks in a Gatorade bottle behind, Harvin stares ahead.

“I want this to be the year,” Harvin said, “I look and say, ‘Year Seven was the turning point. That’s when I put it all together.’ ”

His case is not merely black and white, rather years of gray up for interpretation. Figuring out the real Percy Harvin is one complicated case.

He hopes to debunk each red flag as myth.

He divides a locker room

This is the one that pains Harvin most. By now, the world knows he fought Golden Tate the week before Super Bowl XLVIII. One report said he body-slammed Tate, many others that he gave him a black eye.

The following August, Harvin and Baldwin went at it with Baldwin suffering a gash on his chin.

Two fights. One common denominator.

Here today, Harvin explains how the blow-ups were months in the making. First, he claims both players viewed him “as a threat, rather than a teammate.” He talked to coaches. He talked to Tate and Baldwin. Harvin vows he tried to make it work, even as both lobbied for the ball.

Yet leading up to the Super Bowl, privately and publicly, Harvin couldn’t fathom what he heard.

“We all played the same position. So me coming in took reps from them,” Harvin said. “They wanted to show they were already established having made it to the NFC Championship the year before I got there. So they kind of had the approach of, ‘We don’t need anybody else. We’re established.’ ”

A sense of insecurity? “Exactly, exactly,” he repeats.

The undrafted Baldwin was the unofficial spokesman for this agitated, overlooked band of receivers who reached this game on grit, not genetics. All week, they were scrutinized. Hall-of-Famer Cris Carter, for one, called them “appetizers.” And as this media storyline dragged on, Harvin listened to all “We don’t really need Percy”-themed comments.

“I said, ‘I understand the message you’re trying to get out but I’m your teammate. If you don’t want to talk about me at all, just say ‘Hey, we’re a great offense. We’re glad to have him back,’ ” Harvin said. “But every time, it seemed like they were hell-bent on saying, ‘We’re going to be this, whether he’s here or not.’ And it just kind of started rubbing me wrong because those guys, I felt, were my teammates, my brothers.

“I was like, ‘Whoa, buddy, I’m your teammate! Let’s get it together and let’s go out there and kill people. If you all were already doing this, imagine what we could do with me in there!’ But I just kept getting, ‘If he comes back, he comes back. If not, we’re good without him.’ Finally, I wanted to say something.”

Harvin won’t relive the details but ex-teammate Michael Robinson later admitted that he needed to break up a fight between Harvin and Tate.

In retrospect, Harvin wishes he would’ve kept his irritation “on the back shelf” instead of trying to force a relationship that’d never exist. However, the next summer — before the preseason finale — Harvin and Baldwin fought.

In the middle of this dispute, Harvin actually tried walking away.

“Everybody calls him, ‘Tough Doug’ or ‘Angry Doug,’” Harvin said. “That was one of the times, he tried to use me to show he was a tough guy. I tried to walk away and he came back. It got messy. And I think what happened was the best for me.”

Baldwin did not return a voicemail seeking comment.

As for the report of players saying quarterback Russell Wilson “wasn’t black enough?” “To this day, I don’t even know what that means. I just shook my head.”

Tensions lingered. Seattle struggled. Harvin was traded to the New York Jets on Oct. 18. Coincidence or not, the subtraction turned the Seahawks’ season around, as they won 9 of their last 10 games and were one historically bad play call away from winning another Super Bowl.

These days, Harvin still talks to Bruce Irvin — their sons were born one day apart — and most of the Seattle defensive line. He’ll text receiver Jermaine Kearse. He’ll call Marshawn Lynch. He’s tight with Ricardo Lockette.

He has not spoken to Baldwin or Tate.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/15 ... -an-image/

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Percy Harvin, the greatest pre-season teammate in the history of the NFL.

sutz

Reaction score
I think you have me confused with somebody who cares what Harvin says.

We lost a ton of money on that guy, and the losses from cutting him at the end were definitely worth it.

Tical21

Reaction score
FWIW I do remember several interviews when the trade was announced and when he got here when both Baldwin and Tate were very defensive. They both thought they were being replaced, and it was much more of a "I'm still going to get mine" than a "we are going to be a better group" sentiment going around. I remember Golden Tate being asked about the speed aspect Percy would bring, and his reply was "I'm not exactly slow."

I don't disagree that Baldwin and Tate were jerks, that kind of fits their Modus Operandi. There were obviously a lot of things though that Percy could have handled better. Quitting in the middle of a game is the lowest thing a player can do. Baldwin's a punk though, he needs to get humbled. Tate's gone, but I know first-hand that he was a punk. I'm just saying they're not blameless in this.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Harvin is obviously mercurial but I think if he was here before Baldwin we'd be talking about Baldwin in the same light. Harvin did not get the star treatment from the other WRs when league wide perception was/is that he's a star. He felt disrespected by a bunch of nobodies and I can't really blame him.

Now refusing to go in the game is completely unacceptable but I think his comments have merit.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":28neq2t2 said:
FWIW I do remember several interviews when the trade was announced and when he got here when both Baldwin and Tate were very defensive. They both thought they were being replaced, and it was much more of a "I'm still going to get mine" than a "we are going to be a better group" sentiment going around. I remember Golden Tate being asked about the speed aspect Percy would bring, and his reply was "I'm not exactly slow."

I don't disagree that Baldwin and Tate were jerks, that kind of fits their Modus Operandi. There were obviously a lot of things though that Percy could have handled better. Quitting in the middle of a game is the lowest thing a player can do. Baldwin's a punk though, he needs to get humbled. Tate's gone, but I know first-hand that he was a punk. I'm just saying they're not blameless in this.

Sure there's some truth to what Percy's saying about Doug and Golden, but good god man..........just STFU and earn your paychecks you've been stealing from your teams for a good 3-4 years.

If Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or Drew Brees wants to talk crap about teammates? Fine, they've earned that right. But Percy Freaking Harvin? No, you haven't earned the right to talk, period. You've been a pain in the ass for three going on four franchises. Just shut up and play.

Exittium

Reaction score
This thread will have more success and last longer than his career

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Back then, I listened to basically all of SB 48 press. I mean, seriously, all. The fact that Harvin took exception to anything that was said by Doug or Golden in those interviews really says all you need to know about his fragility. Yeah, after being questioned relentlessly for an entire year about Percy Harvin's hip, Doug and Golden started talking up the guys who actually played. It wasn't malicious; it wasn't offensive. They were just saying, "hey, don't forget about these guys who actually got us here." The fact that Percy got so pissed about this that he body-slammed Golden is amazing to me. Their comments seriously had nothing to do with him. They just wanted their own respect.

I'm sure that insecurities and jealousies sprouted up as soon as Seattle traded for Harvin, and that probably fed into the later incidents, but in isolation, the stuff that was said before the Super Bowl was completely harmless and was not a veiled attack at Harvin.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It's important to understand that Harvin lives in an alternate reality.
People with Borderline Personality Disorder, which Harvin checks a lot of boxes for, do a very interesting thing:

They rearrange facts, data and sequences of events in their heads, to match their emotions. Then they start talking from their "rearranged" facts and data, as if their every word was the gospel truth. You and I, people who were there and saw what happened, know that they are spewing lies and distortions.

Borderlines, in their minds and hearts, aren't lying at all, they are simply telling it like their emotions would like to remember it, with them as the hero and victim, and everyone who stood in their way as a villain. When they speak about their falsified, rearranged version of events, they do it with such emotional conviction and certainty that people who weren't there assume they are telling the truth.

So Harvin has a new group of media in Buffalo to spew his rearranged, falsified version of Seahawks history to. Ones who don't know that much, if not most, of what he says is ridiculous and factually incorrect. Moving on to a new group, and demonizing the villains of the old group, well, that's just a standard page from the Borderline sociopath playbook. People who haven't seen this playbook before will buy the falsified distortions, for a while. People eventually start to catch on, when a Borderline talks about something people have firsthand experience with, the lies and distortions become obvious, the welcome gets worn out, and then it's time to move on. Wear out the welcome, move on, then blame the last group to the new group. That's simply another play in the playbook.

Next year for Percy? Well, Cleveland sounds lovely...

olyfan63

Reaction score
That is a positively awesome article by Danny O'Neil.
http://mynorthwest.com/292/2792895/Seah ... reated-him

I wrote my post above before reading it. O'Neil clearly sees the Harvin playbook, the falsification of history and distortion of reality by Harvin, and isn't having any of it. Every now and then, it's nice to see someone call BS on these sociopaths, and share the factual version, to counter a lying Borderline sociopath's phony version.

Exittium

Reaction score
Its amusing actually. Tate took the high road and wished him luck and so did baldwin. Yet percy wants to " double down" on his bashing of former teams " oh woe is me" im the victim. If they did some phsyc eval on him it wouldnt be surpising to say the least. If anything it would just confirm what everyone has said about him

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Wait. Seahawks made it to the NFC Championship the year before he arrived?

“We all played the same position. So me coming in took reps from them,” Harvin said. “They wanted to show they were already established having made it to the NFC Championship the year before I got there. So they kind of had the approach of, ‘We don’t need anybody else. We’re established.’ ”

olyfan63

Reaction score
Bitter":28ok4lzr said:
Wait. Seahawks made it to the NFC Championship the year before he arrived?

Yeah, IIRC, the Seahawks lost to the Atlanta Falcons in the divisional round the season before Harvin arrived.
But then, Borderline sociopaths never let facts, accuracy, or truth get in the way of rearranging history to align with their emotions. They then proceed to spout every detail, inaccurate ones and all, of their rearranged version as if it were the unshakeable truth. They do it with congruent nonverbals, body language, tone of voice, etc., so that to a casual observer, they come off as convincing, passionate truth-tellers.

When facts, correctness, and truth conflict with their emotions about what they *want* to have been the truth, the truth ALWAYS loses. Pretty much you'll always get their rearranged version that compellingly presents them as the innocent victim or hero.

If you're involved in a court case against such a person, and it involves personal testimony, you're pretty much screwed unless you have compelling, hard-to-dispute written or video evidence. (Family court, anyone?) Sometimes you can get lucky because these people will tell the same story multiple different ways, with varying details, and you can discredit them by presenting their multiple, incompatible versions. However, some of them are so skilled at emotionally suckering the gullible, that they can make it seem to others that you, despite being the one presenting actual facts, are still the villain, attacking their virtuous, innocent victim self.

Just listen to Percy; he's the innocent victim, and mean bullies like Dougie Baldwin and Golden Tate were mean to him, jealous of his beauty and perfectness, and those evil villains unfairly targeted him. It started shortly after the Seahawks played in the NFC Championship game. Yeah, the one against the Falcons.

P.S. Greg Hardy's DV accuser, Nicole Holder appears to be "one of those". I believe she no-showed for the *jury* trial because her lies and exaggerations would have been exposed as such. Is Holder an angry, scorned celebrity-stalking coke whore, or is she an innocent helpless victim of the evil beast Greg Hardy? Too bad she didn't let a jury decide; Hardy had enough money to have good attorneys who would have convincingly pointed out any lies and distortions Ms. Holder put out in court.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Exittium":apd3sjza said:
Its amusing actually. Tate took the high road and wished him luck

TBF Tate was taking some subliminal shots at hime while "taking the high road", one of which (listing all the teams Percy has played for) the interviewer even laughed at.

hawk45

Reaction score
The tiff between Harvin and Tate/Baldwin wasn't the only dysfunction he brought, either.

The coaches had to darn near walk on eggshells around his hip recovery to avoid hurting his poor little feelings, and Pete eventually had to threaten through the press to shut him down for the season if he couldn't practice.

It was almost exactly the same drama surrounding dealing with his injuries we were warned about by Minnesota fans.

The guy is an open, sucking wound of ego-hurt despite being surrounded by folks baby-talking him to avoid pissing him off.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
brimsalabim":md9n67l6 said:
Bills.com reported that Percy has been taking some snaps at corner. Also his position coach wants to take him back through "route running 101".

Clearly, our team messed him up so much that he had to get back to basics. :lol:

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Minutes after All-Pro tailback LeSean McCoy limped off with a hamstring injury, coach Rex Ryan disclosed that wide receiver Percy Harvin needed an injection for hip pain that was worse than first thought.

Beat writers noted Harvin walking with a heavy limp. For what it's worth, the seventh-year veteran offered an optimistic "thumbs up" to Fred Jackson.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... witter_atn