Percy Harvin????

The Battle #83

Reaction score
Cartire":14hctvi8 said:
You guys really need to watch the All-22. Skip on the Pizza for a few weeks, and save the three trips for Game Rewind. Get the coaches view.

Harvin is consistently double teamed.

This already is worth his price.

This

OP
OP
Canhawks

Canhawks

Reaction score
I get what most are saying about using him as a decoy,but if u look at all the great receivers in this league,they all get double teamed but still get there numbers consistently.Elite receivers don't get paid just to be decoys,and Harvin is the 2nd highest paid receiver in the NFL so it's fair to compare him to the top guys.Not saying he is a bust by any means,I can see he valuable to the team,just would like to see some better numbers out of him.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Canhawks":2a7zxua3 said:
I get what most are saying about using him as a decoy,but if u look at all the great receivers in this league,they all get double teamed but still get there numbers consistently.Elite receivers don't get paid just to be decoys,and Harvin is the 2nd highest paid receiver in the NFL so it's fair to compare him to the top guys.Not saying he is a bust by any means,I can see he valuable to the team,just would like to see some better numbers out of him.

You have to think of him as an Elite FOOTBALL player. None of those number ones you speak of do half the stuff Harvin can or does.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
kearly":34bf6izc said:
The only thing that really frustrates me is how little of an impact he's had on KR. I'm at the point where I think they should put Baldwin on KR and move Harvin to PR.

He's not getting many opportunities though, and when he finally does catch one it's usually deep in the corner of the endzone, giving him very little space to do his thing.

If you're argument is to put DB on kickoffs because Harvin's not getting the opportunities then I'm inclined to agree somewhat, maybe they should alternate between the two. I can't see Pete taking Harvin off them though, and he's already said he wants him to run out every one he possibly can.

As for punt returns, I think we're destined to suck all year. Harvin's said he can't do them, ETIII left a lot to be desired in his brief stint, and Walters appears average at best.

RiverDog

Reaction score
SeatownJay":378ph5l6 said:
What happened to using his speed to take the top off the defense? I haven't seen one deep pass to him yet this year.

Harvin is not a vertical receiver, and I don't think they ever thought that he'd have the effect of taking the top off the coverage. His greatest asset is working the underneath coverage, lining up in different spots, keeping the defense guessing as to where he's going to pop up next. Although he didn't get a lot of touches, he did serve as a good decoy, and if you'll notice, a lot of those fly sweep fakes resulted in some pretty good positive yardage by Beast.

Like one poster said, we're not going to be able to use him in every game like we did against the Packers or in the SB against the Broncos. Teams can break up that fly sweep if they guess right like the Chargers did in the 4th quarter last Sunday, so it's important that we not go to the well too many times.

We finally got a chance to see Richardson yesterday, although he made a mistake by breaking off his route too early and leaving us a yard short. But if we can start working him into the lineup, then you'll see someone taking the top off the coverage.

Also, it was a warn day yesterday, and the kickoffs were carrying further than they will later in the season.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Offense still maturing with PH on board every game. I think we'll see more use of him down the stretch, especially depending on the matchups.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If you thought Harvin was here to be a vertical threat, then you haven't really watched him play. That's not his game.

His impact has been meaningful. He was all over the Week 1 blowout; 50-yard TD run vs. San Diego; 7 catches + multiple clutch plays in OT vs. Denver. His final catch set up the Marshawn game-winner. His mere presence is becoming integral, especially with our questionable pass-pro. Looks pretty dang effective to me.

Not sure what the issue is, unless he's under-producing on your fantasy squad. Wilson hit 10 receivers yesterday -- no one is putting up huge numbers here besides the RB.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Are we going to get these threads EVERY game?

Harvin is not a football god, he's not going to score six TD's and catch 20 balls every game. He is a fantastic football player that can take it to the house on almost every play and creates matchup and scheme nightmares for opposing coordinators.

Now that teams have seen how we're using him, they're going to scheme for him, so the jet sweep is not going to be there six plays a game........that's why you've seen Bevell throw in some wrinkles and new plays to get Harvin the ball.

byau

Reaction score
fenderbender123":6lxq9jzj said:
hawkfannj":6lxq9jzj said:
Canhawks":6lxq9jzj said:
He sure hasn't looked as effective as I though he would coming out of training camp.Is it on him or are the coaching staff not using him enough??Either way we gotta figure out a way to get the ball in his hands,and not just use him as a decoy.
I think we used Harvin in this game like we should have . He did his job well decoy or primary target tonight . Can't use him like we did week one against Green Bay every game , or we won't have him for the long haul.

This.

I thought Harvin's presence was well-balanced between making plays as a receiver and drawing attention to open things up for the rest of the offense. When he did get the ball, he did a great job fighting for extra yards by making people miss and breaking tackles.

This This. I thought we used Harvin pretty well today, mostly in fake Jet Sweeps and I think screens or cuts across the field for a first down or two.

I would like to see the long ball a bit more because it seems our receivers are definitely fast (discussed elsewhere). There were more fakes to Harvin today than ever before (was there even a Jet Sweep? I think there was jet sweep fake hand off to Lynch for a monster gain, then jet sweep fake screen to Harvin, and jet sweep fake screen fake to Harvin and actual screen to Lynch?).

That being said, remember this is a season, not just one game. Now the following teams have to worry about both the sweep and how successfully the Hawks used the fake sweep. And they may be thinking the Hawks don't use the long ball much. Maybe the next game we use the long ball a lot and effectively. I'm interested to see how the offense play calling goes the next few games.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I don't mind Harvin not getting force fed the ball in September. What I don't understand is why we have Lockette, Walters, and Richardson on critical 3rd downs. Just so bizarre.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Cartire":kfxpx79t said:
You guys really need to watch the All-22. Skip on the Pizza for a few weeks, and save the three trips for Game Rewind. Get the coaches view.

Seriously, Donko fans are screaming they didn't spy Wilson. Okayyyy, do they take the double team off Harvin or do they let two receivers run around untouched so two guys can be on Harvin and one guy can spy Wilson or do they rush less?

Maybe they can sneak a twelth guy onto the field to spy Wilson so they can keep double teaming Harvin?

I could just see it if they adjusted their defense in OT to spy Wilson by not double teaming Harvin and then Harvin eats them alive and all the fans are screaming why didn't they double team Harvin?

Cartire

Reaction score
Yxes1122":10o8idpa said:
I don't mind Harvin not getting force fed the ball in September. What I don't understand is why we have Lockette, Walters, and Richardson on critical 3rd downs. Just so bizarre.

Well, I have zero problems with Lockette. Hes this years Kearse. Hes showing why the team has kept him around and its paying off nicely now. Walters did convert a third down as well, so I dont know why were knocking him. And the other throw was just off by RW, so its not really his fault. Richarson still made the 9 yard snag on third down, and even though he cut his route short a tad, the ball was thrown rather low, so I dont know how much of a difference it would have made.

I have no problems utulizing different/under utilized personnel as long as they arent making mistakes, and for the most part, Im not overly concerned with them at this point. If anything, it keeps the defenses honest as they cant let WR's 3-4 run free.

byau

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2u9mgvmx said:
Cartire":2u9mgvmx said:

Seriously, Donko fans are screaming they didn't spy Wilson. Okayyyy, do they take the double team off Harvin or do they let two receivers run around untouched so two guys can be on Harvin and one guy can spy Wilson or do they rush less?

Maybe they can sneak a twelth guy onto the field to spy Wilson so they can keep double teaming Harvin?

I could just see it if they adjusted their defense in OT to spy Wilson by not double teaming Harvin and then Harvin eats them alive and all the fans are screaming why didn't they double team Harvin?

A bit of an interesting take on "Spying". ESPN Mike & Mike Hour 1 today they recapped the Seahawks vs Broncos game (awesome). You can listen to it on the ESPN iphone app (presumably smartphone app). It might have made it on the Best of Mike and Mike podcast as well which is here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/pod ... id=2445552

Amongst the things they said, they talked about Russell Wilson making two first downs on the last drive. Two 5 yard rushes on a 3rd and 3 and 3rd and 4. And should the Broncos have spied on Wilson?

Mike Golic (former D-Line) said it wouldn't work. Spying works when the QB steps up then in. But when you have an athletic QB like Wilson, he races to the outside around the corner, so spying doesn't really help since he will beat you anyway.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
RiverDog":1y5ejsum said:
SeatownJay":1y5ejsum said:
What happened to using his speed to take the top off the defense? I haven't seen one deep pass to him yet this year.

Harvin is not a vertical receiver, and I don't think they ever thought that he'd have the effect of taking the top off the coverage. His greatest asset is working the underneath coverage, lining up in different spots, keeping the defense guessing as to where he's going to pop up next. Although he didn't get a lot of touches, he did serve as a good decoy, and if you'll notice, a lot of those fly sweep fakes resulted in some pretty good positive yardage by Beast.

Like one poster said, we're not going to be able to use him in every game like we did against the Packers or in the SB against the Broncos. Teams can break up that fly sweep if they guess right like the Chargers did in the 4th quarter last Sunday, so it's important that we not go to the well too many times.

We finally got a chance to see Richardson yesterday, although he made a mistake by breaking off his route too early and leaving us a yard short. But if we can start working him into the lineup, then you'll see someone taking the top off the coverage.

Also, it was a warn day yesterday, and the kickoffs were carrying further than they will later in the season.

I have a feeling that Harvin could be a 2000 yard WR in Denver, GB, or NO...all three of those offenses are super short game and GB and Denver specifically throw pick plays and slants all the time. In the short passing game he blows past anyone who is guarding him....we have seen it here allready

sutz

Reaction score
Frankly, I think we went to Harvin a little too much in San Diego, so I wasn't unhappy to see him get fewer touches against Denver. Heck, it's game three, opponents have had a full off season to watch the fly sweep and try to design a counter for it. Right now, we're on pace for 10-11 wins with some of our tougher opponents behind us, so I'm not unhappy yet.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
You don't even need to be a great route runner with that kind of speed in terms of just running a go route. I really don't understand why we don't try a couple deep bombs to him along the sideline every game.

Remember the 2007 Patriots with the Brady to Moss connection? Deep sideline bombs all the damn time, it was beautiful. I remember one of those games, they tried it and it was incomplete, and then they did the exact same thing again on the next snap and completed it, and the announcer said "What do you do when you have Brady throw a deep incomplete to Randy Moss? You do it again!" (Paraphrasing probably, I don't think that's verbatim, but close enough.)

Even if we use him as simply a DECOY on deep go routes, watch what happens to the middle of the field when we send Percy streaking to the end zone...We could get 10-20 yards a pop to tight ends all day until they leave Percy with single coverage. The mind boggles at the possibilities. To those saying we don't have the pass protection for it, just roll Russell out on purpose and let him scramble. If he knows he just needs to buy some time, he should be very effective at it.

Bryce84

Reaction score
I hope we start using him down the field a bit more. I know some people have stated that that's never been his game, but in his MIN days he was not used exclusively on sweeps and screen passes. Look at his stats over his 4 years in Minnesota, he averaged 11-13 yards per catch, with a YAC average of 5.3-8.9. He's currently sitting at 7.1 yards per catch with 5.1 YAC. On the bright side, his yards per carry are way higher than they were in MIN (14.3 now vs 4.4-9 then). Now maybe they just want to be conservative with his touches and make sure he can protect himself better when he does get the ball in his hands, but it seems like a waste of his talent, especially for the money he is being paid.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
sutz":gmzigz45 said:
Frankly, I think we went to Harvin a little too much in San Diego, so I wasn't unhappy to see him get fewer touches against Denver. Heck, it's game three, opponents have had a full off season to watch the fly sweep and try to design a counter for it. Right now, we're on pace for 10-11 wins with some of our tougher opponents behind us, so I'm not unhappy yet.

You said this in another thread. Harvin touched the ball a grand total of 3 times on offense in San Diego. How is that going to him too much and how is the 7 catches he had against Denver getting fewer touches?

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Smellyman":2307vk1e said:
Canhawks":2307vk1e said:

You have to think of him as an Elite FOOTBALL player. None of those number ones you speak of do half the stuff Harvin can or does.

But Harvin also doesnt do half the things that those top WRs do (draw double teams and still produce, run real routes, go deep).

Harvin is a unique player, but unfortunately he isnt much of a WR. He is an explosive RB who receives the ball via handoff less than most RBs.

Harvin still helps as a decoy but no one should ever be paid the kind of money he is to be a decoy. Gotta get the ball in his hands and earn that monster paycheck.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1n5vd2sk said:
I hated his idiotic decision to return that kickoff in the 4th quarter. It was very stupid and contributed to our 4th quarter collapse.
He got a little greedy on that play.
WilsonMVP":1n5vd2sk said:
RiverDog":1n5vd2sk said:
SeatownJay":1n5vd2sk said:

I have a feeling that Harvin could be a 2000 yard WR in Denver, GB, or NO...all three of those offenses are super short game and GB and Denver specifically throw pick plays and slants all the time. In the short passing game he blows past anyone who is guarding him....we have seen it here allready
We are using him perfectly. We could toss in a couple deep routes too