Percy trade may be a positive from what I'm hearing

RiverDog

Reaction score
bigwrm":2j6p77dr said:
With all the mud slinging and locker room stories coming out, I'm amazed we hadn't heard a hint of any of this stuff until now. Compare it to the 49ers, where it seems like there's a new negative story coming out every week. Maybe the Seahawks just have a better relationship with the local media, but they obviously do a better job of keeping things in-house which demonstrates the solidarity of the organization.

This is Seattle. If it were New York, where there are hoards of reporters looking for a break, then you would be less likely to be able to keep something like this under wraps. The beat reporters here are nothing more than an extension of the Hawks front office. Plus we've been winning. Stories like these are less likely to see the light of day until we hit a true losing streak.

Plus Pete Carroll is a very good natured person and doesn't have as big of a mean streak in him as other head coaches might. He's also as smooth as a baby's behind when talking to the press. He's been in front of the podium for a lot of years, and knows how to work the press rather than them working him.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete has three rules: 1) protect the team; 2) no whining/complaining/excuses; and 3) be early.

Always Compete is the philosophy, and guys have to indicate "I'm in" to show they buy into that philosophy.

chris98251

Reaction score
People comparing Harvin to Lynch are off base, Lynch is a different dude, but he isn't about Marshawn as much as he is about people honoring their words and trust. The Dude works hard at the facilities and away from them, doesn't take plays off and wants to be the difference maker, you know how someone is by how the team supports them, Lynch always seems to have his teammates back and they his, even during the hold out this season. The Super Bowl his team rallied to help him thru the Media week etc.

I didn't hear that kind of support for Harvin, it was silence or just Pete in press conferences.

Both different people, but where one is good at alienation the other is just a unique guy.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Tokadub":6gbf82za said:
What I find surprising from reading some of the other threads here is that apparently Harvin had multiple violent incidents in the past against his coaches or other players?

Like he threatened to hit one coach with a dumbell, and grabbed another by the neck and threw him to the ground?

I NEVER heard about that stuff before and I never saw it in any media stuff I read about Harvin...

If that is really true why did nobody bring this up? That should of been the first topic of conversation when we acquired him, and the coaches are TRULY FOOLISH if they knew about this and still wanted him.

I'm just going to assume Percy Harvin wasn't totally drunk when he was physically assaulting his coaches or teammates, etc...

Being drunk is no good excuse, but crap happens... guys fight sometimes when they are drunk. But if you are attacking people when you are sober...

Being sober and attacking people = Percy Harvin is a real psycho... literally he's insane and dangerous.

Why did we pay 10's of millions of dollars for a violent psychopath? Sigh... what a huge failure by our front office if any of those incidents really did occur. I'm just going off the forum posters comments I haven't looked into any of it officially... I'm done with that fool.

Now all there is to do is watch him put up 100+ yard games for the Jets on a regular basis. I really wouldn't be that suprised if he can somehow stay healthy... our offense is so frustrating for me.
Uh, lots of people brought this stuff up when we traded for him.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Percy's history, including the dumbbell incident in Minnesota and the mysterious circumstances surrounding his hip recovery, were discussed at length on this forum.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
they new york media is going to eat Percy harvin for breakfast. have fun with that $hithead :D

drdiags

Reaction score
The Seahawks PR folks worked the back-channels to quickly get out their justification for letting Percy go. I am not sure how Percy's people spun his Vikings departure but I am interested in seeing how they spin his trade to the Jets.

Peter King seemed to start it off with his vague "trust" angle.

I hand it to the org and the lack of good sniffing out of stories that all this stuff never made the light of day until now. How does Tate get a black eye and thousands of reporters not pick that up while at the Superbowl?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I wonder if Harvin would have been traded if he had a better game against Dallas. The -1 total yards from scrimmage must have pissed him off. The fact that Bevell made him the focal point of this offense in the first five games, particularly in the losses to SD and DAL when Harvin was getting the ball almost as much as Lynch, tells me there was some suddenness in this decision. They had a plan for him to succeed, and it blew up in their faces. Unless they were calling so many designed plays for him to make him more appealing trade bait.

OP
OP
J

Jbo

Reaction score
Cyrus12":34tt1me3 said:
. we still have walters for bubble screen 5 yd losses....will see what happens!

That is funny, lmao... But very true.
Good one Cyrus!!!!

Wolfepack

Reaction score
I just watched the whole Herchel Walker trade special on ESPN this evening. Jimmy Johnson was elated when he got rid of Herchel in exchange for what ended up being a slew of draft picks. Why is it that it sure feels like we're enduring the same sort of raping that Viking GM did?

OP
OP
J

Jbo

Reaction score
chris98251":3exsrx8c said:
People comparing Harvin to Lynch are off base, Lynch is a different dude, but he isn't about Marshawn as much as he is about people honoring their words and trust. The Dude works hard at the facilities and away from them, doesn't take plays off and wants to be the difference maker, you know how someone is by how the team supports them, Lynch always seems to have his teammates back and they his, even during the hold out this season. The Super Bowl his team rallied to help him thru the Media week etc.

I didn't hear that kind of support for Harvin, it was silence or just Pete in press conferences.

Both different people, but where one is good at alienation the other is just a unique guy.

Very well said Chris98251 !!!!! (Thumbs up)

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
From the articles I read the big reason was he was very disruptive off the field. Apparently he's argued with team mates, he's expressed being completely unhappy there, etc.

On top of that he has been injured seemingly the whole time in Seattle and they paid a hefty price for a guy who rarely seemed to ever play for them.

The guy is an incredible talent who didn't seem to buy into the Seattle way of doing things, at least from what I've read.

The thing about him being a problem was well documented before Seattle ever traded for him so it really shouldn't be surprising or shouldn't be thought of as made up because they've traded him.

The big thing is that he did nothing to help win the Superbowl last year. They got there completely without him so he wasn't a factor and so basically the team gave up what 3 picks, including a 1st rounder, and invested a bunch of money into a player who essentially did nothing for the team while he was there and then got traded for what is a conditional 4th rounder that might become a 2nd depending on performance.

I'd imagine the chances of any real performance being met for the Jets is slim to none. They have no QB to get him the ball. Their offense is just....suck.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Back to responding to the OP.

The effects of this trade are still being felt. On the plus side, we did get something for Harvin, a conditional 4th-6th draft pick. Although it's unlikely, that pick could take some of the sting out of the Harvin deal. Also on the plus side, this could force us back to what we do best, run the ball with Lynch. It will give an opportunity to two rookie receivers, Richardson and Norwood. With the soft spot in our schedule coming up, we have time to right the ship. We win today and it will help the players to forget about Percy and get back to business.

But it could have the exact opposite effect, too. There are reports of a locker room split, that players like Lynch, Avril, and Irvin are upset enough over the trade of Harvin to the Jets that they nearly didn't board the bus to the airport Friday. I hope with all my heart that's not true, but it remains a dark cloud that hangs over this franchise. We lose today, and all hell could break loose.

This will be an interesting game today. I'm going to be watching the sidelines, who's talking with who, the mannerisms and sign language from players and coaches that could indicate how this team will respond. Winning cures a lot of ills, losing brings out the worst in players.

This is the biggest locker room crisis we've had since Mora lost the team back in 2009.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RiverDog":2fmcc9zx said:
Back to responding to the OP.

The effects of this trade are still being felt. On the plus side, we did get something for Harvin, a conditional 4th-6th draft pick. Although it's unlikely, that pick could take some of the sting out of the Harvin deal. Also on the plus side, this could force us back to what we do best, run the ball with Lynch. It will give an opportunity to two rookie receivers, Richardson and Norwood. With the soft spot in our schedule coming up, we have time to right the ship. We win today and it will help the players to forget about Percy and get back to business.

But it could have the exact opposite effect, too. There are reports of a locker room split, that players like Lynch, Avril, and Irvin are upset enough over the trade of Harvin to the Jets that they nearly didn't board the bus to the airport Friday. I hope with all my heart that's not true, but it remains a dark cloud that hangs over this franchise. We lose today, and all hell could break loose.

This will be an interesting game today. I'm going to be watching the sidelines, who's talking with who, the mannerisms and sign language from players and coaches that could indicate how this team will respond. Winning cures a lot of ills, losing brings out the worst in players.

This is the biggest locker room crisis we've had since Mora lost the team back in 2009.
Good post and I agree that today is going to tell us a lot about this team. If the locker room is indeed fractured beyond repair, we'll likely see a larger than normal turnover this offseason with Lynch gone, Avril gone (likely anyway due to reduced production this year), Irvin gone and anyone else not in the Pete/Wilson camp. Kind of sad actually, but Pete will have no one to blame but himself since Harvin was his obsession.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
We've got a lot of 20-20 hindsight going on here and that's to be expected. In that vein, there was one thing from the Super Bowl that always seemed off to me. You remember Sherm's soundbite after the second-half return? His tone in the "lord have mercy. It's Percy" quip has always sounded weird to me. Too flat for the situation and almost annoyed. Like, "oh crap, he actually did something, now we have to deal with it forever..." type of thing.

obviously, it's easy to come to that conclusion *now* but even so, every time I hear that clip, it grates just a bit...

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Will anyone be surprised to see the T.O and Percy Comparisons in a few years. Except the fact that T.O actually had results. Percy to the CFL for 2016?

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Will anyone be surprised to see the T.O and Percy Comparisons in a few years. Except the fact that T.O actually had results. Percy to the CFL for 2016?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Early reports are that Percy spent time yesterday studying the jets playbook and is expected to put in some time today so maybe his agent has let him know this stop could be it for him in the NFL. It had to be a wake up call that no one but the jets wanted and he had to practically be given to them in order to get the move done.