Percy's Draft Pick Compensation

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1769t8xl said:
Also worth saying that J.S.'s uncertainty comes from there being a total cap on comp picks awarded, in addition to the no more than four per team cap.

It's possible that one of the Hawks' would-be end of 7th round comp picks end up being awarded to someone else higher on the comp pick list if all of the comp picks are slotted.

That's total BS. How can you lose seven comp worthy players and possibly only get three picks back. That would suck.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3b9gm8lo said:
Bigbadhawk":3b9gm8lo said:
The reason why we could end up with only 3 as Schneider feels is there are a max of 32 comp picks a year (1 for every team). Lets say due to the quality of comp picks on the list our 4th highest is the 33rd name on the list, well we would be out of luck due to the cutoff at 32. Its just not the quality of the guys we lost vs what we gained but its also the rest of the league and how the comp list plays out.

If there was no max limit of comp picks for the teams combined then sure we would have 4 no matter what. I hope that helps clear up some confusion on why there is a chance we could only end up with 3 this year.

Actually, I believe McQuistan and Maragos would be the 26th and 27th highest paid free agents respectively.

Its just not based on salary alone, its also based on playing time and postseason honors. The exact formula isn't known by the public that those 3 factors that go into it are.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":15finxcg said:
SomersetHawk":15finxcg said:
Bigbadhawk":15finxcg said:
The reason why we could end up with only 3 as Schneider feels is there are a max of 32 comp picks a year (1 for every team). Lets say due to the quality of comp picks on the list our 4th highest is the 33rd name on the list, well we would be out of luck due to the cutoff at 32. Its just not the quality of the guys we lost vs what we gained but its also the rest of the league and how the comp list plays out.

If there was no max limit of comp picks for the teams combined then sure we would have 4 no matter what. I hope that helps clear up some confusion on why there is a chance we could only end up with 3 this year.

Actually, I believe McQuistan and Maragos would be the 26th and 27th highest paid free agents respectively.

Its just not based on salary alone, its also based on playing time and postseason honors. The exact formula isn't known by the public that those 3 factors that go into it are.

True that, though some of those guys currently predicted to get 7th round comps earned over $500k less than Maragos and McQuistan last year. I see no reason why any of them should supersede the two.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Because we already have 4 people projected higher on the list (Tate/Browner/Giacomini/McDonald). With a max of 4 picks awarded per team it doesn't matter on the other 3 players we lost last year during free agency (Maragos/McQuistan/Thurmond)

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":1lozt1r3 said:
Because we already have 4 people projected higher on the list (Tate/Browner/Giacomini/McDonald). With a max of 4 picks awarded per team it doesn't matter on the other 3 players we lost last year during free agency (Maragos/McQuistan/Thurmond)

I meant that I see no reason why the guys with lower salaries should supersede them in the pecking order.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3uw2r4d7 said:
Hawkfan77":3uw2r4d7 said:
BigMeach":3uw2r4d7 said:
SomersetHawk":3uw2r4d7 said:
Ok, so the most optimistic forecast of our draft picks looks like: 1,2,3,3,4,4,4,5,5,6,7.

That would be with us getting a 3rd for Golden, 4th for Browner, Percy, 5th for Giac and 6th for C-Mac.

Somerset, what would it look like worst case scenario?

Tate=4
Browner=5
Breno=5
Harvin=6

Nothing for McDonald/Thurmond

Even if we get nothing for McDonald and Thurmond, McQuistan should net a 7th. And if he somehow doesn't, then Maragos will.

Fringe guys with minimal contracts don't net any compensatory picks. There are only 32 compensatory picks available. Neither McQuistan nor Maragos signed a contract in the top 40 of value. That's not gonna happen.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Lets look at it from perspective.

Seahawks lost 7 eligible comp players and signed 0 eligible comp players.

We take Thurmond and McQuistan out of the process, WT3 ended on IR and McQuistan was only a reserve.

Tate - 5 yrs, 31m

99 catches, 1330 yards, 4 TDs, Pro-Bowl

Max: 3
Min: 4

Giacomini- 4 yrs, 18m

16 starts on the 2nd best Run Offense (per yards) in the NFL.

Max: 4
Min: 6

Browner- 3 yrs, 15.5 m

Started 10 of the 16 games he played in and the Patriots relied on his physicality to help set the tone for thier defense as well create or control mis-matches.

Max: 5
Min: 6

Clinton McDonald - 4yrs, 12m

13 starts in 13 games produced 45 tackles, 5 sacks, 3 pd, and 1 int.

Thats high- production if you asked me.

Max: 5
Min: 7

Maragos probably doesnt matter but he was probably a key element to the best ST teams in thr NFL.

Maybe the Seahawks dont get Max value on all of these guys they lost but how they dont walk-away with at least a 4, 5, 6, and 7 for Tate, Giac, Browner, and McDonald.

Id be pretty upset... All four signed multi-year deals and went on to be very productive for thier respective teams in someways over-playing thier contracts.

And tell me how many teams last year lost 7 eligible free agents and then would sign absolutely no one in the process to negate and cancel those eligible comps.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3jdgm2py said:
Fringe guys with minimal contracts don't net any compensatory picks. There are only 32 compensatory picks available. Neither McQuistan nor Maragos signed a contract in the top 40 of value. That's not gonna happen.

There are six guys in the top 32 who earned less than Maragos, there are seven that earned less than McQuistan.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
Sorry but does that mean we won't get a pick for Harvin in those 4?

I would have thought we would receive 4 picks for: Tate, Browner, Harvin and Giac?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Followthelegion":17l5apjz said:

I would have thought we would receive 4 picks for: Tate, Browner, Harvin and Giac?

Harvin's a conditional, not a comp pick. We'll get the four comps plus a 4th or 6th for Percy.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Followthelegion":2y247jww said:

Harvin was traded to the Jets; not signed as a free agent by them.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
Urgh what a stupid post on my behalf, thanks for the correction guys, despite being a keen fan for past 10 years or so I've never dug into the science behind all of the comp picks before

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3t8ysr4w said:
Popeyejones":3t8ysr4w said:
Also worth saying that J.S.'s uncertainty comes from there being a total cap on comp picks awarded, in addition to the no more than four per team cap.

It's possible that one of the Hawks' would-be end of 7th round comp picks end up being awarded to someone else higher on the comp pick list if all of the comp picks are slotted.

That's total BS. How can you lose seven comp worthy players and possibly only get three picks back. That would suck.
This.

Hawks had 7 FA losses and 0 FA gains. That spells 4 comp picks to me.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":q6hid9o7 said:
TorontoHawk":q6hid9o7 said:
Hawkfan77":q6hid9o7 said:
Great news. Cutting him never made sense to me. Hopefully they make it work

How did it not make sense? The guy was a cancer and not a team player. Look at our record once he was gone that should make sense of it.
Oh he was those things for the Jets? Because I haven't heard that

And he did so much for the Jets last year? He is a douche and not a team player good riddance to him. Think we would most likely have Tate if is was not for this guy.

pugs1

Reaction score
Do we know for sure if the Seahawks can get a pick for McDonald? I thought there was some question because Seattle cut him after camp but brought him back early in the season. I thought I heard he might not be eligible because he did not start the season on the opening day roster. In other news it sounds like the Jets are gonna work something out with Percy giving up their 4th rounder.

So if the Seahawks get the Jets 4th and comp picks in 4th,5th & 6th rounds Here is what I think that will look like.

1: 31
2: 63
3: 95
4: 104 for Harvin, 130 & 134 for Tate
5: 166, 168 for Browner 171 for Breno
6: 213 for McDonald
7: 247

IMO the question JS has is due to pick 213 for McDonald. This projection is far from perfect but should give some general idea of what to expect when the actual draft order is relased.

Latest posts