Personnel or Coaches

John63

Reaction score
mrt144":30xy8skv said:
chris98251":30xy8skv said:
mrt144":30xy8skv said:
justafan":30xy8skv said:
We dont have the talent to look like the Rams. We dont have the Oline or discipline to execute like that.

We dont have the talent or discipline to execute our own plan against good teams.

We do, look at our games against the Chargers and the Rams as well as the Cowboys, played them tighter then anyone, a piece here or there or a call non call and the outcomes are different.

Fair. We executed and lost. Thats a hair better.

or adjusting sooner and we win

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Man, I don’t want Pete or Brian fired, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with calling out their mistakes. This game cost us in the annals of football history. We should not have lost this game. Keeping it close to try and win at the end as a strategy is absolute garbage when you have the talent we have, even if we don’t have the talent of the Rams. We still went toe to toe with them twice this year. And lastly—low expectations for the season is THE WORST reason I can think of to be okay with this loss.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Personnel were getting closer but not there yet. How is this even a question do you people remember the roster we had the year we won the SB .

mrt144

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3v01bup5 said:
Personnel were getting closer but not there yet. How is this even a question do you people remember the roster we had the year we won the SB .

Its aggravating that the team almost wholly rests on talent upgrades to get to the next level again because

1. I am resigned that the team wont tactically solve or dent the worst aspects of the teams performance. Penalties, sacks, 3rd downs both sides of the ball, etc etc.

2. There has been a drought of talent relative to they deluge that was 2010-2012. If youre telling me that we need an influx of generational talent to win another SB, ill buy it. But then we get to one of the least interesting and most offputting and most self deluding side shows in the game - the draft. I just have to hope and pray PC and JS do the damn thing again on that front.

Seriously, following the draft and forming strong feels about certain players and investing an even more absurd ratio of time into football where you have even less of an idea of what will happen and even less agency in the outcome...at least i can go to games and cheer and boo and scream and it might cause a false start...once...

Nah, better to just hope they figure out that end while I snipe about what they really wont try and adjust.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":arnhp81m said:
chris98251":arnhp81m said:
John63":arnhp81m said:
chris98251":arnhp81m said:
Our scheme was fine, it was the injuries that derailed things and by that I mean starters and our depth. Have your O line injured and you won't go far, have your O line injured and the key back ups also injured and then hoping that guys playing out of position can hel isn't going to cut it in a playoff game.

You all would not have given us much of a chance if Wilson was out of the game, having his protection and Run blockers hurt is not quite the same but very important to winning chances.

Actually, no the scheme was not fine because they did not take into account the injuries something else Pete said. When they finally made adjustments it was too late.

How do you come up with three linemnan that know the system before a game on short notice, you can't pass block due to injury, they tried to do the run game but came up short due to injury. Be happy they did as well as they did and have something to build on next year rather then try to cut off Pete and Brians nutsacks.

Dude there are other things that can be done besides your extremist idea. Like moving the WB more, throwing more, a quick strike passing game. Look you can continue to argue all you want, but once again when you HC, OC, and QB all say they should have passed more adn sooner then guess what that is what they should have done.

Don't you need blockers to pass, don't you need players that are fanatastic route runners to get open on the break for a quick passing game? Do we have either? except Baldwin who is injured with not 1 not 2 but three different problems he was playing thru in the game we don't have any other guys that get seperation of the line.

Thats not extreme it's fact, so now go watch the Rams or the Saints if thats the kind of passing game you want to see. That is not our offense.

sdog1981

Reaction score
After watching the NFL for almost 30 years the only thing that separates teams during the salary cap era is coaching and scheme.

Rams 7-9

New coach

Same players

12-4

mrt144

Reaction score
sdog1981":5nosa3o8 said:
After watching the NFL for almost 30 years the only thing that separates teams during the salary cap era is coaching and scheme.

Rams 7-9

New coach

Same players

12-4

To some extent, I think there is always going to be a 'fresh set of eyes and inspiration' spark to some teams with the right coach. I watched two different Ohio State teams win the NC in the 2nd season of their HC, Tressel and Meyer. The teams weren't radically different by virtue of college but what a different set of eyes and a new inspiring figure brought out in both teams resulted in big wins for OSU.

One could argue that McVay was a fresh set of eyes that adjusted a lot along the way schematically but also gave them something more inspiring than a tepid Fischer platitude.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
mrt144":1kyr241y said:
sdog1981":1kyr241y said:

Rams 7-9

New coach

Same players

12-4

To some extent, I think there is always going to be a 'fresh set of eyes and inspiration' spark to some teams with the right coach. I watched two different Ohio State teams win the NC in the 2nd season of their HC, Tressel and Meyer. The teams weren't radically different by virtue of college but what a different set of eyes and a new inspiring figure brought out in both teams resulted in big wins for OSU.

One could argue that McVay was a fresh set of eyes that adjusted a lot along the way schematically but also gave them something more inspiring than a tepid Fischer platitude.

It is not an abstract or "motivational" thing.

Mccvay brought 8 looks pre snap, each of those 8 looks have 3 to 4 possible plays off of them, with a mix of run or pass. This made/makes it nearly impossible for a defense to sell out to defend a specific look. That is incredible coaching and a scheme that just works. Obviously I have oversimplified that he only brought 8 looks, but when you break it down, it's pretty close.

We on the other hand run first, run second, pass 3rd. If you have the personnel to do this and succeed every time, then great, but we dont. We have the personnel to win 10 games and lose a wildcard. We have a cap space of 60 mil and change, very sparse draft picks, and alot of current players to re-sign. We will be lucky by opening kickoff next year to have the same level of players we had this year. If everyone is cool with 10 wins and a loss in the first round, then we have the coaches and horses to do this. If we aspire to more, then coaches have to bring more to the table not only from a scheme perspective, but from a development one as well.

We could have won more and possibly made it to the divisional with the same players and better ability to adapt with the players you have vs the ones you wish you had.

If you run a business and your competitor is constantly beating you selling the same products, then you can choose to look at what they are doing that makes their model work more efficiently than yours, and try to engineer something similar with added improvement, or...be stubborn and go out of business.

All I do for the last 20+ years is solve a multitude of problems daily to keep the machine turning, competitive and profitable. Never once when I get a call of a problem to I tell my guys to just keep doing the same thing that is causing the problem and hope it just goes away.

On the other side of that, it does no good to complain about a problem when you dont have a viable and realistic solution.

I.E.:

When you carry the ball 28 times for 73 yards, and one of those carries is a 28 yarder of those 73, all the while you are watching the opposing defense camp 8 guys at the line of scrimmage....It's mabe time to look at pushing the defense back with short and intermediate passing. I'm actually pretty stunned that so many folks on here just totally missed that in this game.

mrt144

Reaction score
johnnyfever":2rjbcunr said:
mrt144":2rjbcunr said:
sdog1981":2rjbcunr said:

Rams 7-9

New coach

Same players

12-4

It is not an abstract or "motivational" thing.

Mccvay brought 8 looks pre snap, each of those 8 looks have 3 to 4 possible plays off of them, with a mix of run or pass. This made/makes it nearly impossible for a defense to sell out to defend a specific look. That is incredible coaching and a scheme that just works. Obviously I have oversimplified that he only brought 8 looks, but when you break it down, it's pretty close.

We on the other hand run first, run second, pass 3rd. If you have the personnel to do this and succeed every time, then great, but we dont. We have the personnel to win 10 games and lose a wildcard. We have a cap space of 60 mil and change, very sparse draft picks, and alot of current players to re-sign. We will be lucky by opening kickoff next year to have the same level of players we had this year. If everyone is cool with 10 wins and a loss in the first round, then we have the coaches and horses to do this. If we aspire to more, then coaches have to bring more to the table not only from a scheme perspective, but from a development one as well.

We could have won more and possibly made it to the divisional with the same players and better ability to adapt with the players you have vs the ones you wish you had.

If you run a business and your competitor is constantly beating you selling the same products, then you can choose to look at what they are doing that makes their model work more efficiently than yours, and try to engineer something similar with added improvement, or...be stubborn and go out of business.

All I do for the last 20+ years is solve a multitude of problems daily to keep the machine turning, competitive and profitable. Never once when I get a call of a problem to I tell my guys to just keep doing the same thing that is causing the problem and hope it just goes away.

On the other side of that, it does no good to complain about a problem when you dont have a viable and realistic solution.

I.E.:

When you carry the ball 28 times for 73 yards, and one of those carries is a 28 yarder of those 73, all the while you are watching the opposing defense camp 8 guys at the line of scrimmage....It's mabe time to look at pushing the defense back with short and intermediate passing. I'm actually pretty stunned that so many folks on here just totally missed that in this game.

Oh, totally. I usually don't buy motivational arguments for most players in the NFL. I'm just thinking that the team, despite his youth, despite his inexperience, bought into it and are working it, even if it's a highly technical holistic rebuild of the team and their objectives.

Also, I feel you on the business side of things - I'm in IT administration. There is never a situation in my life where withholding effort to trying to solve an issue is a good thing, even if my initial hunch is it's a user issue. ;)

chris98251

Reaction score
This kind of stuff cracks me up, at the beginning of the season many were saying we have NOBODY to replace Avril, Sherman, Kam, our O line is the worst, were going to suck on defense and not be able to move the ball.

Were we world beaters this year, no, but the team player to their experience and abilities while learning how to win.

We used our depth to start developing a lot of starters, look at the IR and practice squad, they are trying to do it again, I ask why Roos was not activated then look further and you have Marcus Henry a Center listed, Ricky Ali'ifua a DE, Jamarco Jones whom we know and played well in his short stint, Emmanuel Beal a LB,
T.J. Mutcherson a FS, Keenan Reynolds who looked good in Pre Season and got a bot of playing time as well as
Justin Currie another LB as well as Amara Darboh and many more, 1 or 2 may break thru to be players that move up to contribute maybe more, but we have used the Red Shirt approach pretty successfully in the past. When the season ends and we start looking at F.A.'s as well we can get a better picture of where we are going to head for our draft.

sdog1981

Reaction score
NFL players are 2% of all college football players. NFL Players are .09% of all high school football players. Every player is good at the NFL level. The only thing that really separates them is coaching.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Name me some coaches in the league who are better at getting the most out of their players and/or choosing players that match his style? The list would be very short imo.

mrt144

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2koeiup6 said:
Name me some coaches in the league who are better at getting the most out of their players and/or choosing players that match his style? The list would be very short imo.

It might be short but it would certainly be populated by coaches who have survived in the league as long as they have like Pete has since 2009.

Payton with the Saints has always put a lot of gas into the offensive jalopy cause Brees with weapons is dang good and conforms to Payton's vision of how his team should operate. We could argue that having a Colston, a Graham, a Michael Thomas isn't so much choosing players that match style and just selecting good players period but...he's always supported his vision where his vision is strong.

Andy Reid is likely there too but again, on the offensive side of the ball and mostly with leveraging playmakers he sought out after getting a nice proof of concept with Alex Smith and going wild with it.

In a funny way, Pete almost feels like a defensive equivalent to either in that he brings the goods where he's interested and obviously adept and doesn't as much where he isn't.

Raising the profile of Bizarro Petes doesn't diminish Pete's coaching ability, rather it just highlights that Pete is pretty unique in sustaining his vision because a lot of the folks he could reasonably be compared to do it through the opposite side of the ball.

sdog1981

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":12mq48ez said:

I agree.

I fell the team can maximize Pete's value with the team by having a young and cheap defense with older proven players that fit this offensive system.

Take Baldwin, for example, he has the right mentality to play in this system. A WR as good as him with a different mindset would have wanted out a long time ago to go to a team where he could get 150 targets a season. Those types of players on offense are key.