Pete, You're not a Running Team

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Playaction doesn't work if you don't run the ball enough and that is what Houston was getting burned on.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I agree with others that it has to start with the line. ZBS isn't getting it done at all, so change it up. We can't be one dimensional going into the playoffs or we will get ruined.

Time for some experimentation. Then bring in all sorts of available RB's and see if one fits. I think rawls is a decent option back if the line gets right, but Lacy just looks too sluggish and lacks fire in his runs.

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2xdr23go said:
Every run with Lacy is a wasted play. They need to just cut bait and bring up a young, hungry guy from a practice squad.

Seems like it but not so IMO. That was enough to hold the Dline on the play action and open up some huge plays down field. Sad as it was, they had to keep pounding to make the pass game work.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Seafan":3df02r20 said:
It's Mike Davis time.

I've been telling my friends about this, Carson and Davis would of been the 1-2 punch we needed and would of preferred both to tot the ball rather than Lacey or Rawls. In the Preseason with the same O-line they were able to create holes for themselves even when there was no blocking for them. Carson and Davis were playing with passion to earn those spots.

AgentDib

Reaction score
A large part of the problem is obviously the poor OL run blocking, but ask yourself how often our RBs add anything to a play beyond what is blocked for them. RB performance is part of the puzzle and we saw the running game look somewhat effective this season with Carson.

I wouldn't mind seeing Davis get a shot.

Steve2222":1dy47umq said:
I disagree. Why do we have to be a run a team?
For the same reasons we've been using since 2010; protecting the defense, reducing variability, and setting up the pass. We had guys open all over the field today because the Texans were worried about the run, because we kept running it even though it wasn't going anywhere. We need to fix the running game, not abandon it.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
We talking about the Mile Davis averaging 2ypc for his career... lol

You guys were prob the same crew asking for Flynn the first half of Wilsons rookie year.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
We need a RB badly in the draft cuz I’m not comfortable with prosise or Rawls being healthy or contributing at all for us.
And I’m not gonna pile on lacy I think we are mostly in agreement he can take his “talents” anywhere but here next season

tersal

Reaction score
chris98251":35emc4rm said:
They need a run game, you all that say screw it and just become pass happy can go watch old Miami games and Saints games without a run game, great to watch but when you get to the playoffs you will have your one and done against teams that know a defense and running are important.

They need to be adaptable, they do not have the bodies at RB now to use a ZBS style run game, either not big and powerful enough to break initial tackles or to slow, Additionally the O line is not quick enough to get where they need to be and to long. They need to go to the power run drive blocking methods and pull guards to lead block edges.

Our stubbornness with the ZBS and not adapting to our personal has been our biggest run game killers, other then the edge today the pass blocking looked a lot better, very little push up the middle a lot more coming off the edges. Clowney was owning Ree's as he really probably should, also on the far edge against Ifedi. Yet his pocket was cleaner then most games so far.
They have to run the ball enough to keep the defense guessing. The pass protection is becoming adequate what I see is the guards are not creating holes. During the two SB appearances Marshawn was normally good for 4 to 5 yards on the straight dive. This year and last getting three yards is a challenge. Apparently Sweeney was better than we thought. Also this is nearly three years the offensive line has been the Achilles heal. Truly any other position coach would have been fired. Pete Carroll and Tom Cable are great friends but lack of production is lack of production if the offensive line again keeps this team from a Super Bowl a change will have to happen. There have been enough player changes the problem may not be the players. Running backs 17 carries for 3 yards really?