Peter King talking to Ross Tucker about Seattle's OL

Popeyejones

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1ijgoags said:
But I do remember them being very clear that run blocking and pass blocking are VERY different skills. I remember them being very clear that run blocking is less tiring/more rewarding vs pass blocking because pass blocking you are rarely the instigator.

Definitely really different skills, and as a general rule Olineman prefer run blocking to pass blocking for a few reasons (you're in control and not just reactive; you get to really hit people; what you need to know is in front of you and you can use your eyes rather than in pass pro where a lot of what you need to know is behind your back and unknown to you).

Do you have a typo on saying that run blocking is less tiring though?

It's the opposite.

Run blocking is definitely much more physically tiring, although pass blocking is a bit more intellectually tiring as it's reactive rather than active, and takes more concentration and focus (i.e. with enough reps you can go on autopilot in the run game a bit, whereas in pass pro you really have to mentally be about yourself).

monkey

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2jyqoy8v said:
The guy creates no movement in the run game .
While I can certainly understand the concern, center is the position on the line that I too am most worried about, I completely disagree with the part I quoted.
Let's not confuse his poor pass pro with his run blocking, which isn't as bad as you imply there.
Also, let's not forget that Britt hasn't been given anything yet, he'll have real competition, and if he wins it, then that's only good for the team.
This is his third year now, I fully expect Britt to be better than he was last year, just by virtue of having had more experience.
If he's not though, Lewis or maybe Hunt will take the role.
Still, Hunt is small as is Lewis, neither seem to offer much in terms of physicality, and that's why Pete and Tom are trying this move for Britt. It makes sense to at least try it.
If the light suddenly comes on for Britt, then that's a win for us, as Britt is a much bigger, more physical player than those other two. If not...well then we're no worse off than we were for trying.

monkey

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2rwcbx9j said:
Britt is trash in both pass pro and run blovking.

Tom Cable, who knows a lot more about the offensive line than you, disagrees. So do I.
He is garbage at pass pro, he's most definitely NOT horrible at run blocking.
Your trust your eyes all you want, but I'll favor the opinions of Tom Cable and Pete Carroll over your eyes.

A

Anonymous

monkey":cw7410uc said:
CodeWarrior":cw7410uc said:

Tom Cable, who knows a lot more about the offensive line than you, disagrees. So do I.
Your trust your eyes all you want, but I'll favor the opinions of Tom Cable and Pete Carroll over your eyes.

You can say that, but I don't believe my very esteemed colleagues, in these forums, use the same amount of smoke and mirrors that Pete uses while describing the individual attributes of our current, and potential, offensive linemen.

You can look at his end results and see why to believe in Pete, but don't believe a word he says, to anyone, until then.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
v1rotv2":3s6j1ydg said:
Again we have changed up the OL, it needed to be done. But what will happen is what always happens when you change the OL, it will be bad before it gets better. That can't be helped as it is the process. No matter how good the rookies are they will be inexperienced and vulnerable to veteran DLs. Add to that the new players at new positions will need time to gel.

There are really only three questions that need answers. Those answers will not come quickly.

How long will the OL take to gel?

How fast can the rookies acclimate?

How good can these players be as a group when the first two questions are answered?
Your forgot an important fourth question.
Who is the back up QB?

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
monkey":3opzmkst said:
CodeWarrior":3opzmkst said:

Good call. They also deemed Drew Nowak an NFL-caliber starting center. It isn't that they're deficient at evaluating talent, it's that given Seattle's success our resources are spread thin. Center was left out and we are now forced to make due with bargain talent. I hope Britt works out at center, but he won't.

kearly

Reaction score
My feelings might change after the first preseason game, but I feel optimistic about the OL right now if only because the Seahawks seem to have tweaked their MO this offseason. There may not be a ton of NFL experience on this new line, but at least every one of the current starters played OL in college and has a base of knowledge to start from.

The spread, plus the moving pieces Seattle added in the draft (Procise, Vannett) will limit what a defense can do, and that will narrow the number of contingencies an OL must prepare for. In other words, it makes things simple for the OL, and simplicity is of critical importance to a greenhorn OL.