Peter King: Teammates supporting Russ "Looks Staged"

knownone

Reaction score
The comments may or may not be disingenuous but the timing sure seems to be.
But why is the timing disingenuous?

I'm struggling to understand why there is an implicit assumption that the whole thing is contrived to some degree. I've personally gotten together with colleagues to coordinate support for someone we felt was getting railroaded. So maybe you, or someone else, can help articulate what the issue is here and why this is a story.

chris98251

Reaction score
Damage control, they have to at least make things look on the mend to get a new coach and to pacify the fans. We seen lots of damage control here with him over the years also.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Agree to disagree. I see much more hate nationally for Wilson when I do Watson. And I think the idea that he isn’t liked by Seattle players as grossly overstated Doug Baldwin of all people called him a brother on the radio the other day.
You dont think the players take exception to him calling out the o-line and claiming that he was happy he didnt have to carry a team anymore now that hes in Denver?

Sorry, that doesn't fly

He has earned the dislike that he carries.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
But why is the timing disingenuous?

I'm struggling to understand why there is an implicit assumption that the whole thing is contrived to some degree. I've personally gotten together with colleagues to coordinate support for someone we felt was getting railroaded. So maybe you, or someone else, can help articulate what the issue is here and why this is a story.

Because he isnt getting railroaded

Thats how we know

Ozzy

Reaction score
You dont think the players take exception to him calling out the o-line and claiming that he was happy he didnt have to carry a team anymore now that hes in Denver?

Sorry, that doesn't fly

He has earned the dislike that he carries.
Not really? I think it got taken out of context and none of them have said any thing since he left. The only ex teammate I can find who talks bad about him is Sherman. That's it and he's a clown. He is my all time favorite on field player though too. For sake of argument it's possible some of them had an issue with his comments for sure. It seems like its the fans that don't like him not the players. I heard for years Baldwin hated him, he would've been pissed about the carrying the team comments right? Yet he just came out and spoke highly of him. I guess what I'm saying i keep hearing all these players hate him and yet we have almost zero evidence of it.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Not really? I think it got taken out of context and none of them have said any thing since he left. The only ex teammate I can find who talks bad about him is Sherman. That's it and he's a clown. He is my all time favorite on field player though too. For sake of argument it's possible some of them had an issue with his comments for sure. It seems like its the fans that don't like him not the players. I heard for years Baldwin hated him, he would've been pissed about the carrying the team comments right? Yet he just came out and spoke highly of him. I guess what I'm saying i keep hearing all these players hate him and yet we have almost zero evidence of it.

Most players are professional enough to keep their personal thoughts out of the media for the most part.

But it's common sense to know that the players were not pleased with their QB claiming that he's glad to not have the burden of carrying a team anymore. How could that possibly NOT irritate a teammate??

Cmon

knownone

Reaction score
Because he isnt getting railroaded

Thats how we know
Disagree.

I've been critical of Russell long before this season. And the recent criticism (regarding everything besides his play) is silly.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I've never met the man but I hate Russell Wilson so everybody must feel the same & look at it in the exact same way or they're lying & being disingenuous.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Disagree.

I've been critical of Russell long before this season. And the recent criticism (regarding everything besides his play) is silly.

Russ has always done weird stuff. Miracle water, fake huddles and snaps while injured, videos and pics of he and his wife in bed, etc

This year its getting called out more becuase A: he's not hiding in Seattle, but MOSTLY B: because poor play doesnt allow for strange behavior (like high knees on a plane) in addition

Not sure why you were critical of his weird behavior before this year but not now. But thats you're personal choice

If you're gonna be weird, you can't be a bottom 5 QB too. Being called out on that is expected, not railroaded

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I think you are mistaking enjoying his failure and making fun of him as hate. Football is entertainment. Making fun of someone who has been high horsing for years and is being hoisted upon his own petard is very entertaining. I doubt you'd find many people apart from 49ers fans that actually hate Wilson.

Actual sports hate is reserved for guys like Ulf Samuelson, Matt Cooke, Bill Romanowski, Vontaze Burfict, and Bill Lambier
The actual hate would be in Denver.

keasley45

Reaction score
Russ holds on to the ball too long but given how many times his o-line allows free rushers, I can see why he thinks its all on him to try to make a play.

they had to hire a second coach early on to help the first coach coach - so....this is far from all on wilson.
The defense will always be able to outrush an offensive line when they know exactly where the opposing qb cant beat them. It's a low risk gamble to send a free guy or a guy that they know the qb won't account for.

keasley45

Reaction score
Uh
Uh, KJ has said a few times that what broke up the team was Russ's lack of accountability. He's said it on his radio segment. Cliff said the same. And the show of solidarity on the part of past players toward their old team/ coach when we played Russ... if that doesn't say enough, I don't know what does.
I think you expect them to need to outright hate him to validate the criticism he's now receiving. His former teammates are millionaires are living legends in their own right and have no need to tear Russ down further than he already is himself. Sherm said it best before the season when he was asked how he thought Russ would do in Denver. He said (paraphrasing) ' now we and he will finally see who was right all these years and who and what Russ really is... I'd he who he thinks he is or is he something less...'. They all know what the real deal is and who he is. He can still be their 'brother' with all of his flaws. That doesn't make him innocent.
For years it's been said where there's smoke, there's fire. And now, even though you can see the flames ,people still refuse to believe.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Used to love Russ, but I'm so glad he's gone now. Don't miss the Me3 drama one bit.

toffee

Reaction score
NFL needs Russel Wilson now more than any other player, no one could provide non stop entertainment like him. He is that never ending freak show.