Pete's Wednesday Press Conference

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Next man up only works when it's like 1-2 injuries. When it's like 5-6 guys not including the FA losses which were also starters or key depth. Yeah.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm like a lot of others in that I was hoping for an improvement in the passing game when Miller returned. Also was looking for a boost in blocking.

If I remember right, Allen weighs like 245. Moeaki is probably our best blocking TE right now. Willson needs to improve in both blocking and holding onto the ball. If he can, he'll end up being our guy. I look to see us draft TE high in the draft next year if there's any fits.

Wagner on the verge of being back is great news. As long as he's healthy, he'll improve a defense that has been improving already just in time for our stretch run.

With our defense getting closer to last year's version, we always have a shot. Keep optimistic Hawks fans, AZ is the team to beat in the division and they just lost their QB. Stanton is ok, but he's not prepared to face the murderer's row of divisional games coming up.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
With the current condition of the Seahawks. I don't see how they can win the division. I can see them getting the wild card. I can't see them winning 3 playoff games in a row. There is still a chance Seahawks can pull off the division or hell even take the long road to a SB. But it's just a chance at this point and it would require A LOT of the players to step up and start playing Elite level football that to this point has only been showed by a few of the Seahawks on the field. Blah. Just such a bummer because this team is/was capable of #1, but there's just so much adversity going on that any lesser team dealing with the same issues would be 2-7 by now.

I think I finally fully understand what people mean when they say look back and enjoy the overall season of a Superbowl winning season. Just so, so many things need to go right for your team regarding big plays at the right times for the right games. Bounces and calls going your way when it mattered. Team being healthy when it mattered. Then all those same things the reverse for the other teams that were probably a game or two away from ruining your team's run.

I am NOT giving up on our team. But I'm throwing all expectations out the window, which I should have a long time ago.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
bandiger":1w8lfjoi said:
This season is turning out to be a bummer with all the injuries and lost players from FA. :428226_SadEmoticon:

You consider a 6-3 season a bummer so far? Some people are extremely difficult to please.

kpak76

Reaction score
kidhawk":10dq064x said:
hawksfansinceday1":10dq064x said:
Man I'm bummed about Zach. Not surprised but definitely sad. Is this the end of his Seahawk career? IIRC he's not signed for next year but could definitely be wrong. Someone with knowledge please respond.

Thanks as always kid.

Miller is signed to next year, but with this injury it will give guys we have a shot to earn a future here, so his return is definitely up in the air.

Are you sure about that? I thought he was signed to this year only. He did renogotiate his deal also.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
kpak76":165xpvm6 said:
kidhawk":165xpvm6 said:
hawksfansinceday1":165xpvm6 said:
Man I'm bummed about Zach. Not surprised but definitely sad. Is this the end of his Seahawk career? IIRC he's not signed for next year but could definitely be wrong. Someone with knowledge please respond.

Thanks as always kid.

Miller is signed to next year, but with this injury it will give guys we have a shot to earn a future here, so his return is definitely up in the air.

Are you sure about that? I thought he was signed to this year only. He did renogotiate his deal also.

yes, I'm 100% sure. He was cut early in the off season because he was due a fairly large salary. They re-signed him to a two year deal with a low base and a decent sized roster bonus. I'm not sure what the IR will do to his checks and roster bonus. If it's a per game roster bonus, then he may lose some of his salary counted against the cap, so that would be helpful for our cap. If it's a roster bonus that is counted for being on the roster at the start of the season, then he'd have already received it. I believe it's a per game bonus though, so we may get some cap relief.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Pete-Carroll-Week-11-Wednesday-Press-Conference/cbccf13c-def4-4bdf-a4cd-24cf5f7f22c7[/urltargetblank]

Full video is now at the above link for those who want to watch/listen for themselves

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/11-Takeaways-From-Pete-Carroll-Seahawks-place-Zach-Miller-on-injured-reserve-sign-Allen-Bradford/e55ed1a0-bb85-4699-9861-bbf6d3e2470f[/urltargetblank]

Seahawks takeaways from Pete's press conference.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Another tough hit. They've been without him for several weeks so they're learning to get by without him. Still Miller, is sort of like Mebane, very undderated for what he adds to the team.

irocdave

Reaction score
The NFL is wide open this year. Last year the Hawks were not severely impacted by injuries, people seem to forget that. Anyone remember the 05 season and playing the SB with a corner that was signed off the street? Or 06, 07 or just about every other year other than the 14 campaign? Injuries are a major factor in every NFL season, the Hawks were fortunate last year, this year, well back to hovering around the Mendoza line.

That's why you pay the stars, they HAVE to be that much better than the average NFL player and staying healthy is as important as talent at this level. Toss out money like it's from a monopoly game and the team quickly becomes the Redskins of the last 10 years or cowgirls until this year.

Suck it up Hawk fans, the Hawks have invested in / resigned the guys THEY see as difference makers that were eligible for new contracts this year. Sucks to lose the players we are all musing about, but it was a necessity. Have to pay RW and maybe a linebacker this coming offseason, IF they justify their worth over the mean.

I still believe the Hawks will be playoff bound this year but wouldn't put money on winning the Lombardi like last year. Last year was special, this year feels like a typical NFL grind. Injuries, free agent loses, missed draft opportunities....

Chin up Hawks fans, sucks to know how much better the team would be with all the starters but this is the NFL. Next man up, remember that slogan? Even if it's a guy that was bagging groceries the week before.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Agreed, let's enjoy the ride and have fun.
We are basically where the Packers and Steelers and Ravens have been in their Super Bowl winning seasons.
In addition to the regular upperclassmen, Pete has developed a bunch of Redshirt freshmen and sophomores (Hill, Simon, Helfet, CMike, Bailey), plus true freshmen (KPL, PRich), transfers (Williams) and even been able to get mileage out of JuCo transfers (Burley, Tukuafu), and even walk-ons (Coyle).

I really don't see any reason this team can't be the ones this year again. Should they be favored, no, but will anyone kick them around, HELL NO.

Remember everyone else is having injury woes too. We just need our depth guys to be a little better than our opponents depth guys.

I see us going very committed with the smash-mouth run game and the read-option on offense the rest of the way. Pete has sized things up, and that's where he's decided to go. We have the players; we have the O-Line for that, we have the running backs for that; we have the fullback for that, and we have the outside tackle-Tight End(Garry Gilliam) for that. We certainly have the QB for that. We absolutely have the defense to get it done, as long as our offense grinds out some time of possession. I really see us going 12-4 and winning the division. From there, anything is possible.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
irocdave":z4mopcf0 said:
.........Anyone remember the 05 season and playing the SB with a corner that was signed off the street?............
Not to be nitpicky but the year we were playing the CB signed off the street was '06 (the year after the SB), not '05. It was the home playoff game vs. Dullass when Romo fumbled the snap on the FG. Still consider winning that game to be one of Holmgren's better coaching jobs.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I'm really excited to see how the next seven games play out. Right now, they're all pretty much 50-50. It's gonna be a fun ride.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I have confidence in our team mentors and determination of fill ins to "make a name for themselves". They are part of a Championship team, they have more to play for thn players on any other team. I wann see them lift a dump truck and hurl it through the uprights!

olyfan63

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2ygpspvs said:
irocdave":2ygpspvs said:
.........Anyone remember the 05 season and playing the SB with a corner that was signed off the street?............
Not to be nitpicky but the year we were playing the CB signed off the street was '06 (the year after the SB), not '05. It was the home playoff game vs. Dullass when Romo fumbled the snap on the FG. Still consider winning that game to be one of Holmgren's better coaching jobs.

irocdave is mostly correct, and you are either wrong or talking about a different dude.
And we are talking about a safety, SS, not a CB.

Man-off-the-street's name is Etric Pruitt. When Marquand Manuel went down in 2nd quarter of the Super Bowl, Etric Pruitt went in for him at SS.

On Willie Parker's 75 yard TD run, Pruitt had a chance to make the play, but didn't. A lot of people think it's mostly on Michael Boulware on that one, others say Pruitt.

On the trick play TD pass to Hines Ward, Pruitt was the one who got burned.

I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle signed a CB off the street in 2006. It would be a different dude that the one irocdave was mentioning. So you might both be talking about different situations.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Our 4th string SS this year would probably be rookie Deon Bailey from the practice squad. I think he's an SC guy.
It's not looking right now like he'd be called into service in a Super Bowl.
Check back on this in 6 weeks...

Latest posts