Pete's Wednesday Press Conference

hawknation2015

Reaction score
This is not about blaming anyone . . . this is fundamentally about getting better.

ConsiderateDismalAttwatersprairiechicken.gif

The offensive line did not get Wilson sacked here. You can blame Wilson for not throwing the ball away, Jimmy Graham for not holding that block longer, or Bevell for calling one of the stupidest plays I have ever seen in the red zone. Take your pick.

MisguidedCloudyFalcon.gif

Russell had three or four seconds to get rid of the ball. Gilliam and Okung are each overpowered a little bit, and the pocket eventually collapses, but seriously, Russell needs to get rid of that ball. If nothing is there, just throw it away. Live to fight another day.

BestBlankIncatern
Again, can't pin this on the OL. This is Russell at his worst. Nice play call by Bevell with the play action. The line blocks this really well. Luke Willson is eventually overpowered a little bit, but c'mon . . . how much time does Russell need to see that Doug Baldwin is WIDE OPEN??? It's not his first read, but he shouldn't be staring down his first read either.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":102vw0md said:
Bigpumpkin":102vw0md said:
Did anyone else notice that Pete was a bit "edgey" today? He seemed to take umbrage at several of the questions. I had not noticed this in Pete in this year's previous conferences. I'm sensing that he is not at all pleased with the play of certain players and perhaps with the performance of certain coaches.
Way to spin off your own perceptions of Pete's mood from what you noticed at a press conference. You really are inside his head. Joke.
Uh dude, the OP used the word "seemed". Inherent within that is the fact that it's his freakin OPINION. Get off your coaches can do no wrong high horse that you rode in on last Spring.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":269cculx said:
Siouxhawk":269cculx said:
Bigpumpkin":269cculx said:
Did anyone else notice that Pete was a bit "edgey" today? He seemed to take umbrage at several of the questions. I had not noticed this in Pete in this year's previous conferences. I'm sensing that he is not at all pleased with the play of certain players and perhaps with the performance of certain coaches.
Way to spin off your own perceptions of Pete's mood from what you noticed at a press conference. You really are inside his head. Joke.
Uh dude, the OP used the word "seemed". Inherent within that is the fact that it's his freakin OPINION. Get off your coaches can do no wrong high horse that you rode in on last Spring.
Uh dude, it's still very reckless to ASS-UME that Pete was mad at his players or coaching staff just because of the way he was gruff in answering questions. That is too big of a chasm of conclusion to jump over. And word to the wise, don't give me advice.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":6xpjld9x said:
hawksfansinceday1":6xpjld9x said:
Siouxhawk":6xpjld9x said:
Bigpumpkin":6xpjld9x said:
Uh dude, it's still very reckless to ASS-UME that Pete was mad at his players or coaching staff just because of the way he was gruff in answering questions. That is too big of a chasm of conclusion to jump over. And word to the wise, don't give me advice.
Again, it was SPECULATION on the part of the OP. Word to the wise in return..........using the word "joke" could easily be construed as you calling the OP that. Don't believe name calling is allowed here.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":33ip4969 said:
This is not about blaming anyone . . . this is fundamentally about getting better.

The offensive line did not get Wilson sacked here. You can blame Wilson for not throwing the ball away, Jimmy Graham for not holding that block longer, or Bevell for calling one of the stupidest plays I have ever seen in the red zone. Take your pick.

Russell had three or four seconds to get rid of the ball. Gilliam and Okung are each overpowered a little bit, and the pocket eventually collapses, but seriously, Russell needs to get rid of that ball. If nothing is there, just throw it away. Live to fight another day.

BestBlankIncatern
Again, can't pin this on the OL. This is Russell at his worst. Nice play call by Bevell with the play action. The line blocks this really well. Luke Willson is eventually overpowered a little bit, but c'mon . . . how much time does Russell need to see that Doug Baldwin is WIDE OPEN??? It's not his first read, but he shouldn't be staring down his first read either.

On the third one, I don't see Baldwin even looking for the ball until Russ is under wraps.

mrt144

Reaction score
Seanhawk":332yxbd0 said:
On the third one, I don't see Baldwin even looking for the ball until Russ is under wraps.

Either Wilson throws it to a barely aware ADB before he cuts up field OR the play design is for ADB to run a longer route and Wilson connects over the top or something (which is doubtful given both safeties converging back). You can see how the play would work if ADB was running a shorter route and looking for the pass but alas, it seems it was designed for deep.

I wish we could get a camera on the eyes of Wilson so we can see where his eyes go.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
hawknation2015":89917ob7 said:
BestBlankIncatern

Wow! Doug Baldwin is wide open when Wilson moves to right and has a clean pocket. That's an easy completion.

Now I am trying to imagine Baldwin in New England's offense.

mrt144

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":3ba28f26 said:
hawknation2015":3ba28f26 said:
BestBlankIncatern

Wow! Doug Baldwin is wide open when Wilson moves to right and has a clean pocket. That's an easy completion.

ADB is clearly not looking for the pass before his cut up field and continues a route that appears designed to get behind the safeties. Should RW yell 'heads up' before he throws?

kidhawk

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":2vfofn66 said:
hawknation2015":2vfofn66 said:
BestBlankIncatern

Open and ready to receive a pass are two completely different things. Watch Baldwin's route, if Wilson had thrown the ball before he was getting sacked, it would have been an INT or incomplete because Doug wasn't ready for the ball. No fault of Baldwin, just hadn't gotten far enough into the route for the ball to be thrown yet.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
mrt144":3usk6thh said:
ADB is clearly not looking for the pass before his cut up field and continues a route that appears designed to get behind the safeties. Should RW yell 'heads up' before he throws?

I really like that idea.

lobohawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":dqsf11wy said:
SeahawksFanForever":dqsf11wy said:
hawknation2015":dqsf11wy said:
BestBlankIncatern

Open and ready to receive a pass are two completely different things. Watch Baldwin's route, if Wilson had thrown the ball before he was getting sacked, it would have been an INT or incomplete because Doug wasn't ready for the ball. No fault of Baldwin, just hadn't gotten far enough into the route for the ball to be thrown yet.

Thanks, as that was my take. Wilson has a sec before he has to move off his spot after rolling around due to his right side pressure. In that sec Doug wasn't looking.

For the first two clips, there really wasn't much time considering the what appeared good coverage. If Russell threw the ball away every time he was in a similar situation, we probably wouldn't have scored that TD (i.e. see the scramble pass to Kearse before the TD pass) or had other first downs.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, Russell definitely needs to get better (all QBs do). If there's pushback, it's because people are looking for a single issue for the offensive performance (Russell holds it too long, Bevell's play calling, the OL, too short, etc). All are valid points, but holding the ball too long is far down the list. Inconsistent line play will make any QB look bad and as such that is the biggest issue. As much as Brock is a Russell advocate, he's pretty clear when blame needs to be placed and he's firmly in the OL issue camp.

HawkFan72

Reaction score

StoneCold

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":ldm4s7la said:
hawknation2015":ldm4s7la said:
BestBlankIncatern

As others have noted DB is not looking when RW has time to throw. That said, why wasn't he? There is a ton of room to his right, but instead his route takes him back to a defender. If he looks at Russ and heads right it's complete and for a good gain. I'm not saying DB ran the wrong route, just saying I don't understand the choice or even if he had a choice. For those more knowledgeable, why doesn't he head to the open space?

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3e981vzg said:
hawknation2015":3e981vzg said:

BestBlankIncatern

The only thing missing on this play is the Benny Hill music.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Hawk nation you must be kidding? Look at the first clip you linked and pay attention to the line not Russ. One DT manages to pancake 3 of our offensive linemen! That can't be how the play was drawn up! These guys are big enough and athletic enough to block but they don't understand what they are supposed to be doing in this system.

On the second clip it is barely 2 seconds before pocket collapse and Russ has to move. We can't see any open receivers in this clip and Russell is still between the tackles so he can't just chuck it. This sack may be some what on him but without seeing the 22 I don't know. Now on the third clip Baldwin never looks back for the ball until after Russell is being hit. If this was by design I'd say it is a bad play design.