John63

Reaction score
25. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (DOWN 1)

LT Duane Brown | 72.0
LG Damien Lewis | 57.7
C Ethan Pocic | 68.0
RG Gabe Jackson | 63.6
RT Brandon Shell | 67.6

Seattle’s offensive line just can’t find a way to get out of its rut, and if anything is going to convince quarterback Russell Wilson that maybe the grass is greener somewhere else, it may be that. Duane Brown has been the unit's best player since the team traded for him in 2017, but he just posted his lowest PFF grade (72.0) since he was a rookie. Wilson was under pressure on 37.0% of his dropbacks this season, one of the higher marks in the league.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":2loc75a5 said:

LT Duane Brown | 72.0
LG Damien Lewis | 57.7
C Ethan Pocic | 68.0
RG Gabe Jackson | 63.6
RT Brandon Shell | 67.6

Seattle’s offensive line just can’t find a way to get out of its rut, and if anything is going to convince quarterback Russell Wilson that maybe the grass is greener somewhere else, it may be that. Duane Brown has been the unit's best player since the team traded for him in 2017, but he just posted his lowest PFF grade (72.0) since he was a rookie. Wilson was under pressure on 37.0% of his dropbacks this season, one of the higher marks in the league.

Given how we looked all season, given that we had multiple players on the line and playing different positions many games, given that some of our backups are not listed that played better than the starters this is kind of spit balling, we seen improvement and with a different set of starters at the end of the year also.

Game by game I think they can be used as a measuring stick, but the eye test we had by pretty much all here that have any objective and football knowledge we seen a dramatic improvement with Curhan and Haynes in the lineup.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":1z9x2hh3 said:
John63":1z9x2hh3 said:

LT Duane Brown | 72.0
LG Damien Lewis | 57.7
C Ethan Pocic | 68.0
RG Gabe Jackson | 63.6
RT Brandon Shell | 67.6

Given how we looked all season, given that we had multiple players on the line and playing different positions many games, given that some of our backups are not listed that played better than the starters this is kind of spit balling, we seen improvement and with a different set of starters at the end of the year also.

Game by game I think they can be used as a measuring stick, but the eye test we had by pretty much all here that have any objective and football knowledge we seen a dramatic improvement with Curhan and Haynes in the lineup.

I agree the line showed improvement. Especially the last 2 games. Some of that was just getting better some I think was the system. All the movement, and tempo helps an oline too.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
What was the time to pressure?

Because everything I have read says we were the worst last year.

keasley45

Reaction score
The less they have to constantly back pedal in pass pro, and can actually initiate contact and lean on defenders instead in run blocking, the better they will continue to look. We have road graders that we're asking to play a finesse game. Let them do more of what they were brought here for more consistently and they will be fine.

Run > Pass works so much better for this team.

Even Pete was talking about it on Brock and Salk.

Still need a center though and D Lewis just isn't the same guy on the left.

toffee

Reaction score
John63":2wcasfpy said:

LT Duane Brown | 72.0
LG Damien Lewis | 57.7
C Ethan Pocic | 68.0
RG Gabe Jackson | 63.6
RT Brandon Shell | 67.6

Totally reasonable and understandable, 12s will love Russ and members of team Russ after he found his new home. no doubt about it.

When shall we expect the list of teams Russ likes to play for next year?

chris98251

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":egwr79de said:
Creed Humphrey PFF grade: 91.4.

Well projecting anyone else on a different team means jack shit, they did not play on our line expecting to execute our schemes or lack there of. Means nothing, you could put Art Shell in our line and the way they have not worked together well mostly degrades all of them.

hinton

Reaction score
Good ol' PFF.

The resource that everyone uses when it suits them and then attempt to discredit when it doesn't.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
hinton":15wlrtgl said:
Good ol' PFF.

The resource that everyone uses when it suits them and then attempt to discredit when it doesn't.

So are you saying that you believe our O line to be better than their rating?

hinton

Reaction score
MesquiteHawk":sc69ne1m said:
hinton":sc69ne1m said:
Good ol' PFF.

I wasn't saying anything other than PFF being referenced disingenuously more often than not.

Since you're asking though no I don't think our OL is much better than their PFF ranking, though stats need to be taken into context and used as a part of the overall topic.

I'm not sure how Duane Brown (on this season in isolation) ranked as out best OL player, it certainly didn't seem to match up with how the play appeared on the field.

Ultimately though all aspects of our O improved in unison, and that's not a fluke. Running better, RW playing better, the OL blocking better all work in tandem.

Personally I'm happy with our guards Lewis and Jackson. I'm intrigued by Curran and to see whether Pocic has turned a corner, though I'd spend come serious cap money to bring in some top FAs at those positions. Addressing the D Brown problem though, not sure...

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
hinton":2x039vzm said:
MesquiteHawk":2x039vzm said:
hinton":2x039vzm said:
Good ol' PFF.

I wasn't saying anything other than PFF being referenced disingenuously more often than not.

Since you're asking though no I don't think our OL is much better than their PFF ranking, though stats need to be taken into context and used as a part of the overall topic.

I'm not sure how Duane Brown (on this season in isolation) ranked as out best OL player, it certainly didn't seem to match up with how the play appeared on the field.

Ultimately though all aspects of our O improved in unison, and that's not a fluke. Running better, RW playing better, the OL blocking better all work in tandem.

Personally I'm happy with our guards Lewis and Jackson. I'm intrigued by Curran and to see whether Pocic has turned a corner, though I'd spend come serious cap money to bring in some top FAs at those positions. Addressing the D Brown problem though, not sure...

Seems like any information these days is filtered through a personal belief prism.

Hard to argue with your position, as it makes a lot of sense.

Jville

Reaction score
hinton":30wipz61 said:
MesquiteHawk":30wipz61 said:
hinton":30wipz61 said:
Good ol' PFF.

Good reading. My own perspective is that most of us don't look into the detail much less comprehend how these various stat sites record and weigh. They all have their definitions and weighing conventions. And it's my understanding they review, revise and adjust their conventions at the conclusion of each year ...... similar to how the actual 32 NFL team staffs do with their operations research. That invites a lot of disingenuous use of stat products. Unfortunately, we'll continue to see more of that.

With regards to players, for me there are lots of unknowns to be resolved. In addition to Curran, Phil Haynes may be an 11th hour story in 2022 after overcoming all of his injuries. I'm confident in Mike Solari. So, I'm looking forward to the 2022 season.

toffee

Reaction score
Jville":3salc6ji said:
hinton":3salc6ji said:
MesquiteHawk":3salc6ji said:
hinton":3salc6ji said:
Good ol' PFF.

Good reading. My own perspective is that most of us don't look into the detail much less comprehend how these various stat sites record and weigh. They all have their definitions and weighing conventions. And it's my understanding they review, revise and adjust their conventions at the conclusion of each year ...... similar to how the actual 32 NFL team staffs do with their operations research. That invites a lot of disingenuous use of stat products. Unfortunately, we'll continue to see more of that.

With regards to players, for me there are lots of unknowns to be resolved. In addition to Curran, Phil Haynes may be an 11th hour story in 2022 after overcoming all of his injuries. I'm confident in Mike Solari. So, I'm looking forward to the 2022 season.

Jack Curhan, Phil Haynes, and Penny, the pleasant surprises of 2021 season, to a minor extend Pocic. Feel good stories.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I didn't realize that Phil Haynes was finally in the OL lineup. I'd been hoping for some good contributions from him since he was drafted. I know he dealt with injuries and tough luck.

Prediction:
In 2022, Curhan + Haynes > 2013 Bowie + Bailey

Screw the PFF rankings, it's the OL guys that were on the field the last 4 games that are the story going forward. Pocic an actual NFL-caliber center? Possibly in the process of coming through.

Penny is good, finally coming into his own, but that OL cleared paths for him vs Chicago and AZ Cardinals, with the Cards game proving it wasn't a fluke involving a weak opponent.

Actually excited to see what next year's version of this OL looks like.

toffee

Reaction score
olyfan63":7o9kg91e said:
I didn't realize that Phil Haynes was finally in the OL lineup. I'd been hoping for some good contributions from him since he was drafted. I know he dealt with injuries and tough luck.

Prediction:
In 2022, Curhan + Haynes > 2013 Bowie + Bailey

Screw the PFF rankings, it's the OL guys that were on the field the last 4 games that are the story going forward. Pocic an actual NFL-caliber center? Possibly in the process of coming through.

Penny is good, finally coming into his own, but that OL cleared paths for him vs Chicago and AZ Cardinals, with the Cards game proving it wasn't a fluke involving a weak opponent.

Actually excited to see what next year's version of this OL looks like.

We could potentially have this OL in 2022, an uncomforting thought but also full of intrigue.

Forsythe - Haynes - Pocic - Lewis - Curhan

Of these five, Haynes had injury history, Lewis had pass block issues, Cuhan played a few games and also had pass block issues, Pocic in the eyes of some will always be trash. Forsythe didn't play enough this season, but he does enjoy a rating of 68.1 on PFF.

But, when Haynes, Pocic, Lewis and Curhan played together, our running game was down right dominating. Our back Penny had boulevards to run though, that's according Penny. May be it was the vision of Penny, or the timing between Penny and these four plus Brown, but it worked magic.

I would resign Shell if he takes a discount, but still start Curhan as he is young and is the future, Shell as backup.

Jville

Reaction score
I feel good about Duane Brown and John Schneider coming to a mutual understanding and agreement.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1482831805992501251[/tweet]

Go Seahawks!

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":rd4abig4 said:
I feel good about Duane Brown and John Schneider coming to a mutual understanding and agreement.

Go Seahawks!

Bring him back, then ask him to go full Mentor on a couple guys to replace him, then say you will sign him as an insurance back up when he thinks they are ready as a thank you.

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":371rbis2 said:
Jville":371rbis2 said:

Go Seahawks!

Bring him back, then ask him to go full Mentor on a couple guys to replace him, then say you will sign him as an insurance back up when he thinks they are ready as a thank you.

Couldn't agree more with you on this approach. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

AgentDib

Reaction score
It makes a lot of sense to prioritize run blocking in our situation.

First, we can't afford everything at once and pass protection is expensive. We have one of the most expensive QBs, are about to have a very expensive group of receivers, and want to have an effective running attack. Many areas need to be cheaper than average to make that work.

Then we need to realize that veteran QBs can do a lot themselves to mitigate the opposing pass rush. Brady lost two of his best OL in the game today and it didn't slow him down at all because he was getting the ball out immediately. At this point in Russ's career as a veteran he needs to be working on the same thing. The early play where they let Chandler Jones rush free and then Russ didn't get the ball away was completely on him.

Lastly, good OL run blocking is necessary to have even a decent running game. We saw what a difference it made giving Penny an initial hole to run through and if teams are scared of our rushing attack then that takes a huge amount of pressure off the passing game on it's own.