PFF Time to Throw

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is a very important stat, as it pertains to sacks. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, probably the 2 most immobile QBs in NFL history are among the fastest at 2.1 seconds TTT.

...younger, more mobile quarterbacks in the league such as Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, and even Andrew Luck have much higher times to throw, and it’s not because they’re getting more time from their line, but moreso because they’re either looking to extend plays with their legs, trying to take more downfield shots, or some combination of both.

Aaron Rogers was a fascinating study as he had the highest percentage of drop-backs end in two seconds or less, but also had the lowest percentage of drop-backs in the 2.1-to-3.6-second range. Then he’s near the top of the league in percentage of drop-backs that last at least 3.6 seconds.

Peyton Manning had an amazing 29 touchdowns on passes thrown in two seconds or less.

Tom Brady’s sweet spot was the 2.1-to-2.5-second range as he led the league at +19.3 to go with a league-high 19 drops from his receivers.

https://www.pff.com/news/qbs-in-focus-time-to-throw

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
From Redditt:

Quarterbacks: Time to Throw in Relation to Pressure Rate

In this analysis, I will analyze how last year's starting quarterbacks' average time to throw (TTT) related to their pressure rates. I will also assign rankings of both variables, with 1st place corresponding to the longest time to throw and highest pressure rates, respectively. I will then calculate a "relative pressure rank" by dividing the TTT ranking by the pressure ranking.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/6 ... lation_to/

AgentDib

Reaction score
The statistical term here is a bimodal distribution and it's an excellent goal to strive for. Most bimodal distributions are really the combination of two different distributions, and here they would be 1) QB gets the ball out quickly to a first or second read and 2) Initial reads are not open, therefore QB pulls the ball down and scrambles to buy time. In both of these scenarios the need for the OL to pass protect is minimized.

The blame for sacks taken progresses from OL (first distribution) to QB (middle) to QB/WR (second distribution) as the play unfolds.

Erebus

Reaction score
I have a couple thoughts about this. First, I could barely see the PFF images. I clicked on them and they took me to a broken link. So all I could really see was Russell Wilson's name towards the middle on the first two graphics, but other than that, I don't know what they say.

Now with that said, this could be a possible rationale why Pete prefers run blocking linemen over pass blocking linemen. You can make up for poor pass protection by getting the ball out quicker. There isn't much you can do to make up for poor run blocking.

But in my uneducated opinion, this approach seems to fit best with short routes, not the long-developing ones Pete likes to run. Bad pass blocking doesn't give much time for shots deep down the field. I don't know Russell's average time to throw over the last few years (like I said, can't really see the PFF images), but he demonstrated in 2015 that he could get it out pretty quickly when he needed to.