PFF's No. 1 standouts include some Seahawks

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch is graded as the No. 1 RB with a league-high 17 broken tackles.

Bobby Wagner is rated as the No. 1 MLB against the run.

Cliff Avril leads the league with 12 QB hurries.

Earl Thomas leads all safeties in coverage rating.

Jon "below average" Ryan is their highest-rated punter, and his 5.43 second average hang time is second overall in the league.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... ree-weeks/

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The commenters make some excellent points. Wilson is throwing 69%. 70% is rarified air shared only by a handful of elite QB's with Super Bowl resumes. Wilson is under pressure 45% of the time. To say Wilson is rated so low because he's "inaccurate" makes one wonder if they actually can be taken seriously. And I don't say that lightly, because PFF has always been a valuable resource, but their stated reasoning on this makes no sense whatsoever.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":23zw23up said:
The commenters make some excellent points. Wilson is throwing 69%. 70% is rarified air shared only by a handful of elite QB's with Super Bowl resumes. Wilson is under pressure 45% of the time. To say Wilson is rated so low because he's "inaccurate" makes one wonder if they actually can be taken seriously. And I don't say that lightly, because PFF has always been a valuable resource, but their stated reasoning on this makes no sense whatsoever.

Yup, there are some serious flaws in their grading system. For whatever reason, they don't seem to give Wilson credit for completing a high percentage of his passes under pressure. Their raw data is more valuable than their subjective grading.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
What I don't understand how dumb ESPN's QBR is, which currently shows 22 QBs are better than Russell Wilson.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3gyq39n8 said:
What I don't understand how dumb ESPN's QBR is, which currently shows 22 QBs are better than Russell Wilson.

there are many articles out there about how deeply flawed QBR is. It should never be used as a stat or an argument for or against a qb...

chris98251

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":imbs8e6f said:

Dilfer, Understand now?

mikeak

Reaction score
Wilson is inaccurate. I frequently see him throw the ball high out of bounds were there are no receivers :)

lukerguy

Reaction score
No offensive lineman is rated in the top half at their position...

Perfundle

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3f24k74k said:
SalishHawkFan":3f24k74k said:

Yup, there are some serious flaws in their grading system. For whatever reason, they don't seem to give Wilson credit for completing a high percentage of his passes under pressure. Their raw data is more valuable than their subjective grading.
The passes that he completes are mostly not the passes he's attempting under pressure. That high completion rate is because of all those screens that he's throwing, which are rather easy for QBs to make. I mean, WIlson has the fourth-lowest air yards per attempt this year, compared to third-highest in 2013 and second-highest in 2012. PFF's numbers are perfectly reasonable if you dig into the details. Also, there have been too many throws that could've easily been intercepted, which adds to the inaccuracy; two dropped interceptions against Green Bay, and a would-be interception that Lockette managed to prevent with a timely OPI.

NINEster

Reaction score
Wilson should be higher, but the issue at hand is PFF is owned by folks who live in the SF Bay Area.

Perfundle

Reaction score
NINEster":2oxm20nj said:
Wilson should be higher, but the issue at hand is PFF is owned by folks who live in the SF Bay Area.
Which obviously explains his 4th-place QB ranking in 2012 and 2013, right? Give it a rest.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Perfundle":1zbz3h4n said:
NINEster":1zbz3h4n said:
Which obviously explains his 4th-place QB ranking in 2012 and 2013, right? Give it a rest.
PFF has given Wilson a negative grade for every single game thus far. Think that's accurate?

NINEster

Reaction score
I was being sarcastic about PFF being owned by Niner fans..... :mrgreen:

On a serious note, I just signed up for PFF.

I will try and attach the cumulative QB ratings up to week 4....

Attachments

• PFF QB Ratings to Week 4.png
    PFF QB Ratings to Week 4.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 679

253hawk

Reaction score
mikeak":rdnzsllx said:
Wilson is inaccurate. I frequently see him throw the ball high out of bounds were there are no receivers :)

As opposed to Papaki, who frequently runs out of bounds for a loss instead (but preserves that high completion percentage!)

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
It never occured to me throwing the ball away hurts the qb's stats. A selfish player would run towards the line, then slide when somebody gets close.

Perfundle

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3s3sk24n said:
Perfundle":3s3sk24n said:
NINEster":3s3sk24n said:
PFF has given Wilson a negative grade for every single game thus far. Think that's accurate?
It's certainly not as inaccurate as you seem to believe. You've watched him make mostly short passes and those don't take much effort, and won't be marked as a positive play. He's bailed out of the pocket unnecessarily several times too.

Besides, it goes both ways. You think he was the 4th-best QB last year? I certainly don't.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Perfundle":17gfu283 said:
hawknation2014":17gfu283 said:
SalishHawkFan":17gfu283 said:

The passes that he completes are mostly not the passes he's attempting under pressure. That high completion rate is because of all those screens that he's throwing, which are rather easy for QBs to make. I mean, WIlson has the fourth-lowest air yards per attempt this year, compared to third-highest in 2013 and second-highest in 2012. PFF's numbers are perfectly reasonable if you dig into the details. Also, there have been too many throws that could've easily been intercepted, which adds to the inaccuracy; two dropped interceptions against Green Bay, and a would-be interception that Lockette managed to prevent with a timely OPI.

"Air yards" has to be one of the most meaningless statistics ever invented. Making the correct decision to throw to a receiver with a spatial advantage against the defense, and thereby leading to yards after the catch, is what this offense is about. It's what being a great QB is about . . . yet this statistic is intended to rob the QB of the yards he contributed to by making the correct read. ESPN's bogus QBR statistic also reportedly relies heavily on "air yards" instead of actual yards per attempt.

Wilson has slightly more yards per attempt than Drew Brees and about half a foot less per attempt (1/5 of a yard) than Aaron Rodgers. Yet PFF has graded Wilson 21 spots below Ryan Tannehill?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Perfundle":gor8xt2y said:
It's certainly not as inaccurate as you seem to believe. You've watched him make mostly short passes and those don't take much effort, and won't be marked as a positive play. He's bailed out of the pocket unnecessarily several times too.

Besides, it goes both ways. You think he was the 4th-best QB last year? I certainly don't.
PFF sucks Peyton Manning's junk for the same short passing. :) I don't think he was the 4th-best QB in the league last year, no. I don't think he has even yet been given an opportunity to try and pursue that in the NFL yet, to be honest.

Regarding bailing out of the pocket unnecessarily...Uh, yeah - for an immobile statuesque QB like Peyton, show me ONE GAME where he didn't throw the ball away unnecessarily when someone was open enough to throw to. Seriously, one game from his entire career. I'm waiting. There has never been a QB that doesn't regularly miss opportunities every single game, there isn't one now, and there never will be one in the future.

Our pass protection is a joke compared to Peyton's, too.