Pick 29, 1st Round - LJ Collier, DE, Texas Christian

chris98251

Reaction score
Love these quotes

TCU DE L.J. Collier has a simple mindset when he lines up: “I’m going to get in your face and kick your ass the whole game. It’s that simple, really.”

“I love that feeling cause I know offensive linemen don’t like to be hit in the mouth over and over,” Collier said. “I love to do that. I love the physicality of it. I love to be in your face the whole game. I’m not a player who is going to say much, but if you say something to me, I’m going to let you know it’s going to be all game.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/co ... rylink=cpy

King Dog

Reaction score
I'm glad he tested better than Bennett since he's a 1st round pick and Bennett was undrafted.

Could have had Sweat and Harry if we would have stayed put.

Hope he's great.

Elemas

Reaction score
Would love to add Winovich, then a WR, CB, and another WR.

I don't think we got "our guy" with Collier but , we'll have to see how it pans out. Nothing's guaranteed but, you can't help but wonder if our target was Montez Sweat...

Gotta trust JS and Pete but the post draft conference had the feeling of "we did ok but may have miscalculated a bit".

Nature of the draft. Definitely impressed with the number of picks we've accumulated. I'm hoping that 1 or 2 of these upcoming picks get traded for higher positions next year but, doubt that will be the case as we typically trade down.

Just feels that for two years in a row now, our first round picks have been head scratchers. With that said, I'm still thinking that our 1-2 RB punch is going to be exciting. Penny coming in with the experience of last season, with the right shape and mentality....will be a beautiful thing to see.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Elemas":1wq3x29d said:
Would love to add Winovich, then a WR, CB, and another WR.

I don't think we got "our guy" with Collier but , we'll have to see how it pans out. Nothing's guaranteed but, you can't help but wonder if our target was Montez Sweat...

Gotta trust JS and Pete but the post draft conference had the feeling of "we did ok but may have miscalculated a bit".

Nature of the draft. Definitely impressed with the number of picks we've accumulated. I'm hoping that 1 or 2 of these upcoming picks get traded for higher positions next year but, doubt that will be the case as we typically trade down.

Just feels that for two years in a row now, our first round picks have been head scratchers. With that said, I'm still thinking that our 1-2 RB punch is going to be exciting. Penny coming in with the experience of last season, with the right shape and mentality....will be a beautiful thing to see.

I got that same feeling watching their press conference, but I don't buy it was because Sweat was their guy. If he was truly their guy, one they had targeted and had to have, they would have taken him at #21. At #21, it already felt like he dropped further than anyone expected.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":x6lde8xf said:
I don’t know about this one. I like his versatility but we could’ve had an impact genuine edge rusher in Sweat at 21 and end up with a poor man’s Red Bryant. Sweat was falling into their lap but John just stuck to the script.

They were hoping Sweat would still be around at 29, but when he went at 26, so Collier was their fall back pick.

As usual, John turns the draft into a day trader's version of Mr. Toad's wild ride.

Mid-round picks are wild cards, and all you have to do is look at our RECENT history of picks in the 4th round or below to see that we are no longer grabbing the Richard Shermans or Kam Chancellors of the world.

Once in a great while we'll pick a Chris Carson or Quiniton Jefferson, but these are the exceptions not the rules.

Someone called John an HOF GM??? Look at his history in the past few years. Me thinks not.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Anyone that has concerns about Collier need to go to Seahawksdraftblog.com . Rob has a breakdown of him there so does Brian Baldinger. His pressure percentage is basically the same as Burns and Sweat and he can play inside and on the edge. He's very physical and wiil be an upgrade over Clark against the run. Like I said if you want to know more go Seahawksdraftblog.com. Collier is a great pick and probably the best DE left on the board and could be a better overall player than Burns or Sweat 2 years from now.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
toffee":1innh0s7 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/1121626911971504130[/tweet] Volunteer mentor !
I love Cliff Avril.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
toffee":1yysk524 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1120388833089081345[/tweet]

Thanks for sharing...this was awesome. It looks like John/Pete are finding tough, football players and see past combine results

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's fine to have your own opinions about prospects as a fan and that's where much of the entertainment in this process is. Some of the disappointment on this pick seems to be people looking for a Frank Clark replacement when Collier is a Bennett replacement instead. You should think about the Collier selection in that context.

Every year fans compare the public big boards they see published online for free from amateur hobbyists with those that their team spent a ton of money developing privately over the year with professional NFL scouts. A big part of that process involves keeping the information concealed from the public, and so everybody understands coming in that the public big boards are fun but not completely accurate when it comes to how teams actually rate the players.

Then the bizarre part of this process occurs. Fans temporarily forget how things work and use the public big boards to determine things like value and reach picks. They read day-0 draft grades which are a comparison of how well the team's big board fits the grader's own big board - and for some insanely egotistical reason the draftniks assign the grade for this to the team instead of to themselves.

"Player X would have lasted until pick Y" is the ultimate expression of this lunacy. It's crazy to base your opinion on a pick on that fact that your team had a different big board than a free online version you happen to be looking at. Zero people on this forum would actually want the Seahawks to fire their entire scouting department and just go with Mel Kiper's board instead every year.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Seahawkwalt1967":1blasjxo said:
toffee":1blasjxo said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1120388833089081345[/tweet]

Thanks for sharing...this was awesome. It looks like John/Pete are finding tough, football players and see past combine results

I never had a problem with Collier at 29 I think he was probably the best DL left on the board. I was really hoping for Darnell Savage but Chauncey is really good to and they could also take a top WR now in the second round so the draft looks better to me today than it did last night. Plus they now have a third round pick and I think four 4rth round picks so it's hard to argue with what they did when you really break it down.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":17aasqme said:
chris98251":17aasqme said:
Sounds more like a Red Bryant type player then a Bennett.

Is so, that’s not a bad thing. Red had a role and played it well.
IMHO
YMMV

He's nothing like Red Bryant. Collier is a base 4-3 defensive end that can also play inside and rush off the edge. He's way more like Bennett than Red.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I an see the Bennett comparison in clips more than Clark. I don't think we will see Collier blow by tackles with his speed the way Clark could. But I can see him blowing up tackles vs the run or bull rushing them back into the QB the way I remember Bennett doing.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3idclj98 said:
pmedic920":3idclj98 said:
chris98251":3idclj98 said:

IMHO
YMMV

He's nothing like Red Bryant. Collier is a base 4-3 defensive end that can also play inside and rush off the edge. He's way more like Bennett than Red.

I agree with you.
I was “just say’n”

:{)

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":1gl6q5ua said:
I an see the Bennett comparison in clips more than Clark. I don't think we will see Collier blow by tackles with his speed the way Clark could. But I can see him blowing up tackles vs the run or bull rushing them back into the QB the way I remember Bennett doing.

He can turn the corner bro but yes he's uses his hands and power more than speed to get home.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":37xiw5fz said:
Northwest Seahawk":37xiw5fz said:
pmedic920":37xiw5fz said:
chris98251":37xiw5fz said:

IMHO
YMMV

I agree with you.
I was “just say’n”

:{)

It's all good man no worries.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Doesn't it seem like the speed rushing DE's are getting overhyped ?
Seems like it happens every year lately, and over 1/2 of the high picks are never heard from again. Pure speed looks great on college tape and at the combine, but it takes more to excel at the next level.

Collier is a man. He looks like he could eat a couple "light in the pants" DE's for lunch. I'm guessing we're all more than happy with this pick in a couple years, if not sooner.