Pick 29, 1st Round - LJ Collier, DE, Texas Christian

toffee

Reaction score
ivotuk":32nfyuc1 said:
Bennett's advantage was film study. He put the hours in before the game. But sometimes he guessed wrong.he

The more i learn about LJ, the more i Love this guy.

LJ seems like the kind of guy that would be willing to spend a lot of effort to improve his game, not the type that rely solely on one's physical gift, not like he was a 4/5 star recruit coming out of high school, and had to fought two years into a starter at TCU. Guy like that won't take things for granted.

So hopeful that he will mature into a Bennett light.

chris98251

Reaction score
Technique and coaching can help his get off, much like a track guy, he may stand up then move which makes him slower rather then exploding out of his stance forward or something, everything else is pretty damn good.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Bennett's 1st step was so impressive that he was drafted in rou...

...wait a minute...

...it was like, really good. Not a chance it developed after he left A&M.

My only real point; Collier is a MAN. Prepare to be impressed, sooner than later.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Can't wait to see what this guy does. And for once, would love to see a 1st round pick make people eat their words :)
Hoping Penny still does the same.

kf3339

Reaction score
ivotuk":j829gzlk said:
https://www.patriots.com/video/2019-draft-prospects-lj-collier-de-tcu

Sounds like he is going to be our potential starter over Jefferson at end instead of Clark's old position. I do like the pick but hope they find a new role for Jefferson. I thought he was really coming into his own with our team. 3tech perhaps?

toffee

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":45lqwqsc said:
Can't wait to see what this guy does. And for once, would love to see a 1st round pick make people eat their words :)

I suspect we could have a hint on Penny come training camp, if he again show up over weight ....

hawkfan68

Reaction score
toffee":2pkqecg0 said:
SoulfishHawk":2pkqecg0 said:

I suspect we could have a hint on Penny come training camp, if he again show up over weight ....

Penny did fine for his rookie year - 419 yrds on 85 carries. http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3139925/rashaad-penny Not bad numbers for someone being reportedly overweight. If LJ produces at his position equally to what Penny did at his, he will have merited his draft position.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
I bring up a point earlier and I get a link to the Seahawks roster like that is what I was talking about or like I didn't know the roster existed. So I will refrain from putting in much thought into my posts here as I feel .. this environment is lacking.

Good arm length
Big strong violent hands
Power
leverage
Point of attack to set the edge
Pass rush savvy
Bend
Work ethic

A strong dude with an elite motor who can set the edge and who has upside as a pass rusher since his College coach ask him to leave some sacks on the table for the team...gives the other inside 3rd down rushers and 5 techs .. like Green competition ... yah give me that.

Collier, Reed, Poona

is the start of a young, stout, talented defensive line... LEO's can be tough to find. We had to give up the perfect Leo to add a lot more talent to our roster. Pete has found a way to fill the role in a variety of ways over the years From Clemons to Cliff .. to Frank etc... now let us see what else he has up his sleeve.

toffee

Reaction score
So what is Collier's most natural position? 5-tech? 3-tech? or he could also handle 7/9?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
kf3339":106t38xi said:
ivotuk":106t38xi said:

Sounds like he is going to be our potential starter over Jefferson at end instead of Clark's old position. I do like the pick but hope they find a new role for Jefferson. I thought he was really coming into his own with our team. 3tech perhaps?

Jefferson and Collier will rotate the position likely. It's expecting a lot for a rookie DL to take over the starting position from day 1. Look for heavy rotation with Rasheem Green in the mix as well through the season.

toffee

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3uzk657j said:
kf3339":3uzk657j said:
ivotuk":3uzk657j said:

Jefferson and Collier will rotate the position likely. It's expecting a lot for a rookie DL to take over the starting position from day 1. Look for heavy rotation with Rasheem Green in the mix as well through the season.

The progress of Green will be on spotlight this season, if dude could perform at last preseason level, that would be a huge step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
toffee":vettl51c said:
So what is Collier's most natural position? 5-tech? 3-tech? or he could also handle 7/9?

5 tech, shifting inside on passing downs. Similar to Bennett, also very similar to the role Clark played originally when he was still pushing 275 lbs.

toffee

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":377barqa said:
toffee":377barqa said:

5 tech, shifting inside on passing downs. Similar to Bennett, also very similar to the role Clark played originally when he was still pushing 275 lbs.

Man, so hopeful that Collier would be the second coming of Bennett. Pete and John might saw enough to draft him in first round.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I hate that we lost Clark just as he was beginning to maximize his potential. I hate how we develop guys to let them go. I hope LJ has great impact and is around for many years though.

James in PA

Reaction score
According to ProFootballFocus.com, Collier created more pressure more often than any other edge rusher in the Big XII when rushing the passer.

But he didn’t put up the huge sack numbers, so the experts (aka idiots) will tell you that he was a reach.

John and Pete know what they’re doing.

seabowl

Reaction score
edogg23":19h131jq said:
They are dogging this pick so hard on KJR. It’s kind of making me depressed.

For shits and giggles I decided to reactivate his draft day pick.

BTW whenever someone says that fans know much less about players and to leave it up to the "experts" such as the coaches and GM's they should stay quiet. Many of us here did not like this pick as we didn't like McDowell, Ifedi, Penney, etc.. as we see the exact same tape as the "experts" and can have an informed opinion too. Collier was Lamar King part II IMO.

Whomever on KJR that day was dogging the pick was correct.

BASF

Reaction score
seabowl":2836zpf3 said:
edogg23":2836zpf3 said:
They are dogging this pick so hard on KJR. It’s kind of making me depressed.

For $h!t and giggles I decided to reactivate his draft day pick.

BTW whenever someone says that fans know much less about players and to leave it up to the "experts" such as the coaches and GM's they should stay quiet. Many of us here did not like this pick as we didn't like McDowell, Ifedi, Penney, etc.. as we see the exact same tape as the "experts" and can have an informed opinion too. Collier was Lamar King part II IMO.

Whomever on KJR that day was dogging the pick was correct.

Backpat

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I didn’t post in the original thread but remember not hating the pick but not being excited about it either. It was the last d line taken in an early run on d linemen.

As low as my expectations were (a first rounder should at least be a starter by year 2) he has completely failed. But hey, he felt disrespected last year right?