Playcalling needs to be addressed.

cymatica

Reaction score
You can draw up all the plays you want, but if the QB can't read the field, and predetermines where he's going with the ball pre-snap.

Stares down his 1st read, then chucks it up anyway.

What offense would you design around that?

There were open guys all over the field. He had more time to throw today than any other game this season.

They need an upgrade at QB.
Well we've seen them draw up gameplan that work great. We've seen Geno play great and put up good numbers.

The Browns supposedly have the best defense, and we still got 24 despite a hose job by the refs and some bad mistakes by Geno.

renofox

Reaction score
Separate from the coulda/shouldas -

Separate from blaming the refs - and they were garbage.

I think I was pretty clear. I loved Waldron for the first 1/2 of last season. I loved his philosophy. I loved the "With our TE groupings, you're not going to be able to tell by formation whether we are in run or pass." I LOVED that.

Today and the past 3 games have not BEEN that. We turtle up and just go back to 1/2 moonballs too much.

More disciplined close and run game, grinding the clock, and owning time of possession was what we were the first 1/2 of last season.

This was nice to have won, but we can't continue to force a square peg into a round hole on this stuff forever.

We won despite the playcalling today, not because of it, IMO.
Yep. We've invested so much to obtain THREE all around great TEs and we criminally underuse them.

Whenever the TEs see lots of action the Offense does well. But then we go long periods without using them. wtf?

Fade

Reaction score
When the QB isn't at his best, you run the ball more or you call easy completions to get the offense into a rhythm.

Waldron isn't doing that. Time for Pete to meddle and set him straight.
The Browns play a smothering man. There isn't a lot of cheap completions to be had, easier said than done. With that, they had some guys open down the field, Geno was too busy staring down his first read to see 'em.

In hindsight, they should've hammered the rock more with Zach, which I've been calling for.

And I agree, they need to reign in the offense more and reduce Geno to a game manager. Limit him to 20 throws a game. Putting the ball in his hands consistently is asking for a turnover. We've been seeing it game after game for 16 games now.

With this, Pete doesn't like dink and dunk though. He likes hammering it up the gut, and taking deep shots. Russell Wilson is his perfect QB.

morgulon1

Reaction score
That. And some very iffy calls at the right times for the other team. I still think if that bs PI call up 17-7 doesn’t get called, we keep bulldozing.
Yeah that was a definite game flow changing call that took our foot off their throats and game them life.

You know the scripted plays at the start of the game ? Why don't they script about 50 plays ? Problem solved 😀

toffee

Reaction score
Yep. We've invested so much to obtain THREE all around great TEs and we criminally underuse them.

Whenever the TEs see lots of action the Offense does well. But then we go long periods without using them. wtf?
May be Mr. Metcalf needs his touches?

DJrmb

Reaction score
That pass to JSN was clearly designed that way. It wasn’t ad lob.
And JSN had to jump to catch the throw. Thankfully he was still quick enough to get around the corner on that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The guy next to me put it perfectly. This team is in love with throwing the ball, even with two VERY GOOD Running Backs.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The Browns are 1st in Pass Defense and 3rd in Run Defense. Is it possible we struggled because they are pretty good?
Their corners were impressive on several plays for sure. That looked like a very well coached team to me. Big win against a damn good team.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
The play calling seemed fine. You need opportunities to get into a rhythm, and Cleveland bottled us up. The offense rarely touched the ball in the second half.
I thought we touched the ball.

We couldn't HANG ON to the ball.....

hoxrox

Reaction score
In hindsight, they should've hammered the rock more with Zach, which I've been calling for.

And I agree, they need to reign in the offense more and reduce Geno to a game manager. Limit him to 20 throws a game. Putting the ball in his hands consistently is asking for a turnover. We've been seeing it game after game for 16 games now.

With this, Pete doesn't like dink and dunk though. He likes hammering it up the gut, and taking deep shots. Russell Wilson is his perfect QB.

Think the pass run ratio should be around 60/40 percent.

Last game, 37 passes vs 13 total combined runs by KW and ZC isn't a good balance. They don't have to be all runs up the A and B gaps either. Mix it up a bit...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They had a nice lead; they again fall in love with the pass when they could pound the rock. It's maddening.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Think the pass run ratio should be around 60/40 percent.

Last game, 37 passes vs 13 total combined runs by KW and ZC isn't a good balance. They don't have to be all runs up the A and B gaps either. Mix it up a bit...
right?!

hoxrox

Reaction score
The Browns are 1st in Pass Defense and 3rd in Run Defense. Is it possible we struggled because they are pretty good?

The Colts put up 38 pts on this Browns defense. How? By running the ball.

Waldron has a plan A and sticks to his play sheet, but no plan B... according to what's working and what isn't.