Please help to compare Sam Howell with '24 QB corp.

toffee

Reaction score
Class of 2024 QBs are being promoted as one of the best in recent history. Since some QBs in this class are older than Sam Howell, I think comparing Sam with them is fair. We got Sam for what's equivalent of a 5th round pick, I think it's good value. Can someone with more football knowledge help with some analysis? Thank you.

Here are some candidates of similar height.

ageheightweightarm lengthhand sizeProspect grade
Sam Howell236'1"218 lbs30 3/4"9 1/8"6.22 (Will Eventually Be Average Starter)
Caleb Williams22.36'1"214 lbs32"9 3/4"6.74 (Year 1 Starter)
Bo Nix246'2"214 lbs31 7/8"10 1/8"6.39 (Will Eventually Be Plus Starter)
Michael Penix6'2"216 lbs33 5/8"10 1/2"6.25 (Will Eventually Be Average Starter)
Spencer Rattler23.96'211 lbs31"9 7/8"5.95 (Average Backup Or Special-Teamer)
Jordan Travis23.86'1"200 lbs31 3/8"9"5.89 (Average Backup Or Special-Teamer)
Sam Hartman6'1"211 lbs31 3/8"9 3/4"5.69 (Candidate For Bottom Of Roster Or Practice Squad)

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Class of 2024 QBs are being promoted as one of the best in recent history. Since some QBs in this class are older than Sam Howell, I think comparing Sam with them is fair. We got Sam for what's equivalent of a 5th round pick, I think it's good value. Can someone with more football knowledge help with some analysis? Thank you.
I don't claim more football knowledge than you, but let's start by making the list of 2024 QBs to comp with. Here's a start:

Caleb Williams
Drake Maye
Jayden Daniels
Michael Penix
JJ McCarthy
Bo Nix
Spencer Rattler
Jordan Travis
Michael Pratt
Joe Milton III

Feel free to add or subtract names to arrive at a final list.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I don't claim more football knowledge than you, but let's start by making the list of 2024 QBs to comp with. Here's a start:

Caleb Williams
Drake Maye
Jayden Daniels
Michael Penix
JJ McCarthy
Bo Nix
Spencer Rattler
Jordan Travis
Michael Pratt
Joe Milton III

Feel free to add or subtract names to arrive at a final list.
On the minus side, Sam with short arms and small hands, is not physically gifted.
On the plus side, he is 'battle tested' after a season of starting experience, so we are buying something with a proven NFL record, no guessing game.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I'm definitely no analyst, but by the eye test, I would compare Howell to his fellow Sam (Hartman) but I would say Howell is more consistent. Hartman had that one really good season in 2021, and he followed that up with another respectable season in '22, but he dipped this past season, not sure how much of that is due to him playing for a different program.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Lot of short QBs on that opening list and not what I want.
To me 6'2" or more is the ideal height as it makes things easier.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
IMO the reason for the trade for Howell is he likes him better than the QBs he could have drafted past the 3rd rd

Rattler, Pratt, Travis, Milton, Hartman after them there are a slew of QBs that will be UDFAs

Last edited:
OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I just Googled a little bit, measurement-wise, the closest to Howell is Brock Purdy!

heightweightarm lengthhand sizeProspect grade
Sam Howell236'1"218 lbs30 3/4"9 1/8"6.22 (Will Eventually Be Average Starter)
Brock Purdy246 5/8"212 lbs29"9 1/4"

Howell might even enjoy stronger arm strength

nwHawk

Reaction score
Sam Howell has a very similar profile to Baker Mayfield. Arms, hands, weight, height, mph on ball, etc.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I watched PFF’s discussion with Dane Brugler, and they start talking about Washington’s Top Golf mass top-30 event where they brought in all of their top-30 visits with all of the top QBs to see who the real alpha and leaders are in the group.

Then talked about how Commanders had to trade Sam Howell because Sam is a true alpha and players would flock to him over the other QBs available at the #2 pick. Said he overshadow Drake and others.

I like the vibe…

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
for me he's exactly what you will get with Bo Nix even though on the field he looks like Mayfield in build. He's way more agile than Mayfield.

WarHawks

Reaction score
21 int's vs 3 for Nix. I can't overlook that. That's just pitifully bad.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Quarterbacks — both good and bad — come in all different physical dimensions. If the evaluation were this simple, it would be much easier to predict NFL success/failure. The brain is more important than any of this, and there are so many differences between college and NFL that we don’t really know until the second or third year in NFL.

CanHawksFan

Reaction score
21 int's vs 3 for Nix. I can't overlook that. That's just pitifully bad.

I'm not sure it really makes sense to try to compare college stats to NFL stats.

Better to consider Howell's final year in college, where he had 9 INTs, but the difference is that he was 2 1/2 years younger than Nix in his final year.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I'm not sure it really makes sense to try to compare college stats to NFL stats.

Better to consider Howell's final year in college, where he had 9 INTs, but the difference is that he was 2 1/2 years younger than Nix in his final year.
Bad is bad, nfl or not.

WarHawks

Reaction score
So level of difficulty and competition doesn't matter in your opinion?
You're just looking at the number without any context at all. That's pathetic.
Lol. How many other nfl qb's threw 21 int' s last year? Context doesn't win games. Good qb play does, and so far, Howell hasn't shown he can be a good qb yet. Pathetic, indeed.